Oil change confusion

Raul_sbd

Reaction score
I know maybe this has come many times on the forum.

My a3 tfsi car will be a year in July and I have only cover now 1400 miles. I have called Audi and they have told me that my car is on long term service and will need his first oil change when it gets to the year as not for the miles. They have qouted me £238 for oil change. Then she mentioned that it is on a long service and next oil change + inspection will be in 2 years from July or 19000 whatever comes first.

On my mmi computer was asking for an oil change 1 month ago but I reset the oil change via mmi as the car only had done by that time 800 miles and it was very annoying seeing everyday the alert. The woman in Audi told me that sometimes the car asks for the oil change even before a year...

Also she told me that after 3 years I can change the schedule to fix service.. 1 year or 9k or buy a service pack plan..

Is correct all this info? Could someone advice on what to do as I'm a bit confused.. By the way the car is main not contract or finance and I'm planning on keeping it in a long term..

In the other hand my dealer that sold the car to me said to don't worry on services yet until the car was 2 years or 19000 miles as it was on a long service schedule..

Confused.com :(

Much appreciate for your replies..

Last edited:
2yrs or 19k is for cars that do more than 10k miles a year. If you are only doing 1400 miles a year then the car should be set to regular interval service and should include an oil-change every 9k miles or 12 months whichever come first.
My own 2.0TDI does 13k miles a year and is therefore set to the long life service and my first service shown on the MMI as being due at 18,850.

Reactions: Raul_sbd
£238 is expensive for your first service, I paid £206 for my S3's first service. They told me that next year is another oil change and the year after is the bigger service. Think I was on around 7000 when I had it done.

I did question why it flashed up a few weeks before the 12 months was up, apparently the timer/countdown starts/is set from when the car was put through PDI. They told me to ignore the fact that the second service was showing 10 months later, as they reset that when the first service is done. They did reset it! but then the mileage between the 2nd and 3rd service confused me lol......this was mine AFTER the first service:

service-jpg.80980

Basically I'm going 1 year old = oil service, 2 years old = oil service, 3 years old oil and other bits service (the expensive one).

Reactions: Raul_sbd and pburv
£238 is expensive for your first service, I paid £206 for my S3's first service. They told me that next year is another oil change and the year after is the bigger service. Think I was on around 7000 when I had it done.

I did question why it flashed up a few weeks before the 12 months was up, apparently the timer/countdown starts/is set from when the car was put through PDI. They told me to ignore the fact that the second service was showing 10 months later, as they reset that when the first service is done. They did reset it! but then the mileage between the 2nd and 3rd service confused me lol......this was mine AFTER the first service:

service-jpg.80980

Basically I'm going 1 year old = oil service, 2 years old = oil service, 3 years old oil and other bits service (the expensive one).
£206 is really good where u did your service?

Just take the car in for service and tell them to change it to fixed interval. That's what I did.
They are on long life by default when new and they are supposed to change it if necessary before delivery, but they often seem to omit this.

Reactions: pburv and Raul_sbd
Right so I think i will do oil change in july then July 2017 the full service at 2 years.. then JuLY 2018 oil change.. is that correct? I will not do never the 9k a year so i base my services on the time. Also when i will come in for my first oil change I will ask my mmi to be changed to fix service.. (not sure if that will be possible)

DO you guys agree with my schedule?

Reactions: pburv
Just take the car in for service and tell them to change it to fixed interval. That's what I did.
They are on long life by default when new and they are supposed to change it if necessary before delivery, but they often seem to omit this.
Yep me too..First thing I asked the dealer to do when I purchased the car..I had an engine failure in my 8p A3 due I think to the car set on long service schedule..

Reactions: Raul_sbd
Right so I think i will do oil change in july then July 2017 the full service at 2 years.. then JuLY 2018 oil change.. is that correct? I will not do never the 9k a year so i base my services on the time. Also when i will come in for my first oil change I will ask my mmi to be changed to fix service.. (not sure if that will be possible)

DO you guys agree with my schedule?
Yes - that's what to do. I can't think why the dealer would refuse to change the schedule because it's recommended by Audi for low mileage.
If they do refuse, just call Audi customer services.

Reactions: pburv and Raul_sbd