6th gear advice sought

Gill ZB

Reaction score
didn't get chance to really drive my TT at speed as stayed with a mate near work but tonight once I'd navigated those damned abominations of A1 lane widening/extending/whatever they are roadworks I put my foot down (just a little bit):blackrs4:!! Never experienced anything like it before - it wasn't the sort of forward thrust acceleration id expected - it was almost like the whole of the Audi was going into warp drive:rocket: and I can honestly say it was awesome ! For someone who had a 1.2 02 punto for 9 years this is like ...well ...unreal!!! I'm sure there are lots of seasoned Audi /sports car drivers for whom this sort of thing is routine - but I'm totally blown away! I love driving again! And anyone who says a car is just a piece of metal obviously hasn't driven a TT!!! Enough of the love struck waffle - what speed is best to use 6th gear ? TT seems happy enough going from 70 - 80(ish:innocent:) and accelerates really smoothly but is it best to drop to 5th under 70mph? And is it normal to smile like a total Cheshire Cat all the time while driving and laugh like a total maniac every time overtaking ...everything :grin::grinning::rocket::hearteyes:

didn't get chance to really drive my TT at speed as stayed with a mate near work but tonight once I'd navigated those damned abominations of A1 lane widening/extending/whatever they are roadworks I put my foot down (just a little bit):blackrs4:!! Never experienced anything like it before - it wasn't the sort of forward thrust acceleration id expected - it was almost like the whole of the Audi was going into warp drive:rocket: and I can honestly say it was awesome ! For someone who had a 1.2 02 punto for 9 years this is like ...well ...unreal!!! I'm sure there are lots of seasoned Audi /sports car drivers for whom this sort of thing is routine - but I'm totally blown away! I love driving again! And anyone who says a car is just a piece of metal obviously hasn't driven a TT!!! Enough of the love struck waffle - what speed is best to use 6th gear ? TT seems happy enough going from 70 - 80(ish:innocent:) and accelerates really smoothly but is it best to drop to 5th under 70mph? And is it normal to smile like a total Cheshire Cat all the time while driving and laugh like a total maniac every time overtaking ...everything :grin::grinning::rocket::hearteyes:

Hi Gill, welcome to TT ownership wonderland. Not sure this is advice, more like personal preference. My TT is a daily driver and the bulk of my driving is on the highway (motorway, to you lot!) at around 70-80 mph. Don't rat me out to the local heat because our limit is only 60 (100 km/h) here in Ontario! :whistle2: With that being the case, I'm constantly in 6th gear, driving in Manual Mode (S-Tronic box). On our straight, rural, two-lane roads that get me to and from the highway, I'm going 50-60, still cruising in 6th for the most part but always ready to crack down a gear or two to negotiate the local farm traffic and short, steep hills.

Reactions: Gill ZB
Hi Gill, welcome to TT ownership wonderland. Not sure this is advice, more like personal preference. My TT is a daily driver and the bulk of my driving is on the highway (motorway, to you lot!) at around 70-80 mph. Don't rat me out to the local heat because our limit is only 60 (100 km/h) here in Ontario! :whistle2: With that being the case, I'm constantly in 6th gear, driving in Manual Mode (S-Tronic box). On our straight, rural, two-lane roads that get me to and from the highway, I'm going 50-60, still cruising in 6th for the most part but always ready to crack down a gear or two to negotiate the local farm traffic and short, steep hills.
Hahaha - I love the phrase "don't rat me out to the local heat":tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I guess you mean don't inform the local traffic constabulary :sunglasses:! I took my TT for a spin today and found he accelerates very comfortably in 6th. But it's also so easy to get above the speed limit - the novelty of 6 gears will never wear off and I feel safer in my handsome TT than I do in my front room watching telly lol:relaxed:. How on earth do you stick to a speed limit of 60?!!! It's ok - won't rat on you to the local heat - love that phrase :grinning::redrs4:

No need to drop to fifth under 70 within reason on the flat my 2.0 is quite happy in 6th at 35 on, but obviously if your overtaking on single lane drop down to pass as quick as possible and yes it is quite normal to grin like a Cheshire cat. Also I find it amusing you referred to your TT as a he I assume you are female? as most of us males refer to our beloved TTs as a she

Reactions: Gill ZB
No need to drop to fifth under 70 within reason on the flat my 2.0 is quite happy in 6th at 35 on, but obviously if your overtaking on single lane drop down to pass as quick as possible and yes it is quite normal to grin like a Cheshire cat. Also I find it amusing you referred to your TT as a he I assume you are female? as most of us males refer to our beloved TTs as a she
:relaxed:I'm glad I'm not the only Cheshire Cat out there :grimacing:!! Yes I'm female and all my cars have been males (apart from the punto!) I'm that much in love that if I had a partner he would be very jealous haha:tearsofjoy:I'll try using 6th at lower speeds and see how it feels. I also had a bit of a boy racer moment when I had to get out of a junction onto a graduated left turn - I went from 0-"OMG!" A lot faster than I had intended - I put my foot down forgetting I wasn't in the 0.0 punto and I almost went into orbit!!! It was awesome!! I did it again at the same junction tonight with more control and after all it's what he is designed for!! I can't believes he's all mine and I'm lucky where I work as I can talk cars all day with the contractors :grin::redrs4: The only downside is the way other drivers treat Audi owners I know they're jealous but it's no excuse for rudeness. I discover something new about this amazing piece of engineering perfection every day- I like the spoiler up button lol! he is also the most comfortable car ever - I was a bit concerned that being tall there wouldn't be much legroom but I'm so comfy I could fall asleep in the boring A1 roadworks lol ! And when accelerating past the Angel of the north I say 'fasten seat belts ....prepare for take off!!:tearsofjoy:...yes I probably am crazy but I'm enjoying every mad second of it- fortunately I'm old enough to do it safely:racer: