Since topping off on refueling, I get 450 mile range on my 2.0T

gamegenie

Eazy-E CPT OG from the Otherside
Reaction score
Couldn't pay at the pump because the machine was busted. So I put $30 on the pump I was at the service station.

Used Premium Plus 93 at $2.23 /gal

I got the first click when I reached $28.00 dollars. kept going to $29.50.

I went from normally getting 380 miles range on refuel to getting 430 miles range. This was on my way to Mississippi from Indiana.

Then on my way back, I refueled normally. paying at the pump and not topping off when I got to the first click.

I have been getting 450 miles range consistent.

Anyone care to share their fuel mile range.

Drove like miss daisy last week and got 425 miles on a full tank in my S3 SB 8V

I'll be lucky to get 220 miles out of a full tank

I get about 300miles per tank from my 1.8Tfsi.

I tend to get 280-300 miles on a full tank in my MTM'd S3. That's a mixture of hard driving "blasts" and pottering about. I hardly ever run it right into the red so I'm estimating the final 30miles or so in the tank!

Couldn't pay at the pump because the machine was busted. So I put $30 on the pump I was at the service station.

Used Premium Plus 93 at $2.23 /gal

I got the first click when I reached $28.00 dollars. kept going to $29.50.

I went from normally getting 380 miles range on refuel to getting 430 miles range. This was on my way to Mississippi from Indiana.

Then on my way back, I refueled normally. paying at the pump and not topping off when I got to the first click.

I have been getting 450 miles range consistent.

Anyone care to share their fuel mile range.

So you all you did was fill beyond the click one time, and then suddenly you've been getting more range?? That seems strange. Good - but strange. Unless I've read your post wrong?

450 miles from a full tank in an S3 is impressive. I get 400 from my 1.4T COD.

It is impressive. I'm getting around 500 miles from my 1.6TDI s-tronic. Mostly extra urban/urban driving. Although I don't tend to drive like Miss Daisy!

So you all you did was fill beyond the click one time, and then suddenly you've been getting more range?? That seems strange. Good - but strange. Unless I've read your post wrong?

450 miles from a full tank in an S3 is impressive. I get 400 from my 1.4T COD.

When I was topping off, I went for 2-3 more clicks after the 1st click before I stopped.

I get 220 miles to a tank.
I'm pleased with that.

Last weekend broke 400 miles from first click fill up from my S3 stronic.
Mainly duel carriageway at steady 70 mph. Three adults and boot full of luggage (daughter back to uni)
Last time I got 380 miles , but engine now has 3500 miles so maybe starting to bed in.
Love this car. Comfy cruiser , got out and no stiffness after the trip, good luggage room , and a beast when i go and play using the paddles.
I use Tesco momentum from day one.

I'm lucky to get 260miles out of a tank, but I primarily do 6 miles in and out of Leicester on my commute in traffic and rarely get over 21mpg.

I have noticed it getting better the more miles I do though.

And yet no-one has picked up on the $2.23/gal?!?

At today's exchange that that's £1.58/gal compared to our (my last fill up of V-power) £1.16/ltr that's £5.22/gal which is $7.36/gal.

It does say 93ron and engine mapping will be slightly different to run on lesser grade fuel but even still we get bent over and a thick stick stuck in the rear. Also bearing in mind our fuel has 65% tax which based on figures above we pay around 75p on one litre of V-power at above price.

I don't know how many miles I get from my tank I never check just fill it when it's low:)

Last weekend broke 400 miles from first click fill up from my S3 stronic.
Mainly duel carriageway at steady 70 mph. Three adults and boot full of luggage (daughter back to uni)
Last time I got 380 miles , but engine now has 3500 miles so maybe starting to bed in.
Love this car. Comfy cruiser , got out and no stiffness after the trip, good luggage room , and a beast when i go and play using the paddles.
I use Tesco momentum from day one.

i have no idea how people get 400 miles to a tank or anywhere near that!
I've had 300 before and i was amazed...i average a lot less than that though.

Reactions: RO65ERS
is it a case of AC off, no heated seats, no lights, no radio, over inflated tyres by a million PSI.
ignition off whilst going down hills?!

i've even been sad enough to try it...and failed massively. it was the most boring 360 miles of my life!

squeezing in an extra litre or two will get me an extra 10miles if I'm lucky...

its down to driving style, i appreciate that, and my style is - i guess, unorthodox.

my motorway driving is cruise control @ 85mph and then ALOT of dropping into 4th and hammering it unto 122mph, before putting it back in 6th and dropping back down to the cruise control speed.

around town, its mainly 2nd and 3rd gear and hard. in Plymouth it really benefits having the valves open, so i like to hear it!

the Mrs, has the heated seats on 100% of the time.
the AC is on 100% of the time.

this would explain my 220/70 miles to a tank.

Reactions: Ignition1
its down to driving style, i appreciate that, and my style is - i guess, unorthodox.

my motorway driving is cruise control @ 85mph and then ALOT of dropping into 4th and hammering it unto 122mph, before putting it back in 6th and dropping back down to the cruise control speed.

around town, its mainly 2nd and 3rd gear and hard. in Plymouth it really benefits having the valves open, so i like to hear it!

the Mrs, has the heated seats on 100% of the time.
the AC is on 100% of the time.

this would explain my 220/70 miles to a tank.

Yeah that does! Even in a 1.4 COD if you stray about 70mph on a motorway (say 80/85mph) the fuel economy suffers massively. I also accelerate harder than other cars - in previous posts I said I like to keep up with the traffic, but actually when I look in the rear view mirror...they're not keeping up with me at all...which makes me think my driving style is more right foot heavy than others.

Hence why I only get 20mpg in town traffic and 42mpg on a motorway...from a 1.4...that also switches off cylinders. Sometimes I think a more powerful car like an S3 would be better. Bigger engine = less effort to accelerate quickly and hold higher speeds...less MPG (in theory).

Yeah that does! Even in a 1.4 COD if you stray about 70mph on a motorway (say 80/85mph) the fuel economy suffers massively. I also accelerate harder than other cars - in previous posts I said I like to keep up with the traffic, but actually when I look in the rear view mirror...they're not keeping up with me at all...which makes me think my driving style is more right foot heavy than others.

Hence why I only get 20mpg in town traffic and 42mpg on a motorway...from a 1.4...that also switches off cylinders. Sometimes I think a more powerful car like an S3 would be better. Bigger engine = less effort to accelerate quickly and hold higher speeds...less MPG (in theory).

i average 18-20mpg around town
and mid to 27/8 mpg on a good run, if I'm behaving. my idea of behaving is not going to the limiter on every opportunity lol.

its good to know that 9 times out of 10, I'm the fastest car on the road I'm travelling on.

76 mph is the sweet spot, I cruse at that speed the most when the Speed Limit is 70 and occasionally I might burst to 80 or 90 or 100mph to get ahead of slow vehicles or trucks who block lanes to pass slower trucks.

I do this all in the Dynamic drive mode and I was still rewarded with 450 mileage range.

The journey was nearly all duel carriageway ,stayed at 70 most of the way. I think the key is a gentle right foot when going uphill. Cruise actually burns more fuel.
As to driving style , depends what you are doing. Uni run with missus and daughter with luggage means relaxed cruising. Loony times are for when i am on my own and on twisty lanes....

I've got a 1000 mile trip later this year.
I'll see what I can do. I think my main problem is, Devon. It's all up and down hill. It's not flat at all and it isn't untill I hit a motorway, 100 miles from my front door. By the time I get there, I've been hooning the hills and twists so my avg is shocking...so I just continue to rave on to my destination.

Same around town.

But I'm going to give it a go on the return trip.

my motorway driving is cruise control @ 85mph and then ALOT of dropping into 4th and hammering it unto 122mph

Is it wise to boast about doing 122 mph on a public forum? Especially as your user name presumably gives away your reg number...

Why 122 btw?

Is it wise to boast about doing 122 mph on a public forum? Especially as your user name presumably gives away your reg number...

Why 122 btw?

because 122 is when i change out of 4th...or maybe I'm just using that number hypothetically. who knows?

but lets all be honest here, we know what our cars are capable of and most of us know what the speedo is capable of showing in 6th. people who talk "private runway" and all that nonsense need to realise, it makes no difference saying that. nothing will ever come of it, unless there is evidence.

Guy Martin bragged about taking an Aston martin Vanquish through Sulby straight at over 180mph, its a 40mph zone.
sure, he's a reasonably famous figure, so police "made enquiries" but nothing came of it for the reasons there are no proof.

this morning i did 2000mph in my s3 down plymouths embankment...lets the enquiries begin.

Yawn.

Fed up with these fuel economy stories, who really cares? I've had 400 miles from a tank when I wanted to see what it could really get. It was boring as hell and have not had the sane since. I'm averaging 300 to 350 per tank and I'm happy with that.

BTW US 93 grade fuel (AKI or Anti Knock Index) is similar to our 98 RON super juice but is criminally low in price compared to what we pay.

However we can just walk into a hospital when we need to, safe in the knowledge we're not potentially looking at a wallet busting experience at the end of the treatment lol.

It's all relative.

Yawn.

Fed up with these fuel economy stories, who really cares? I've had 400 miles from a tank when I wanted to see what it could really get. It was boring as hell and have not had the sane since. I'm averaging 300 to 350 per tank and I'm happy with that.

BTW US 93 grade fuel (AKI or Anti Knock Index) is similar to our 98 RON super juice but is criminally low in price compared to what we pay.

However we can just walk into a hospital when we need to, safe in the knowledge we're not potentially looking at a wallet busting experience at the end of the treatment lol.

It's all relative.

Yup agree totally!
Getting how much really depends on how you drive, but it's still good just to give a rough estimate.
I was getting slightly more mpg before I got my Bluefin, post Bluefin I know my right foot is more heavy on the throttle, enjoying the increased push in the back feeling.

It's all relative.
We have the Affordable Care Act now for those without heath care. Haven't you heard? Obama Care

You're in Europe, so you still get exclusive options for your German 8V we won't ever see, not even in the face-lift either I bet. (High Beam, Hold, Park Assist, Auto-Engine off, COD, Rare Adaptive Xenon Light, Efficiency Drive Select)

:smile:

Davc.
At the end of the day the S3 is a family car. A nice one with a bit of poke, but still a family car. No one buys one for the fuel consumption. The same as no one buys a Rolex to tell the time . It is all about the pleasure of ownership.
As a family car , and the same concept that hot hatches have always been , they have to perform different functions. In my 400 mile run , i was (as mentioned) doing the uni run. It waa mostly duel carriageway with variable speed cameras for most of the journey.
So not much entertainment. So it was interesting to see what it can do.
Do i really care day to day. No not really it is a small part of my running costs.
What i will say of my first six months of moving into the S3 i find it a good adaptable everyday car. Much more comfortable than i expected .
So for me it helped on a journey that would have been a "yawn" without it.

Mostly my range is 530 miles if I stop filling at the first click. A quick top off and it's 550, but it's better to carry less weight than more so I don't top off unless I know prices are about to increase or I'm at a particularly cheap (that's relative!) station that I won't get to again for a while.