Audi TPI??

madstaff

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to the official Audi Technical Product Information documents??

Specifically this one -

Technical product information Transaction No.: 2006406/8
Noises from boost air system on 4 cylinder TDI Release date: 10-Jun-2008

Customer statement / workshop findings
On vehicles with 4 cylinder pump injector engine a flowing noise is created in the boost air system when releasing the accelerator or at load change when disengaging the clutch.

Technical background
The noise is caused by structural tolerances (e.g. impeller fan). More than 2 bars of boost pressure cannot be noiselessly controlled as this leads to slight pressure fluctuations, which, depending on the tolerances, can lead to noises on parts in the boost air system. But because of different frequency superimposition the noise cannot be reproduced on all vehicles. The noise is normal and doesn’t affect the service life of the turbo charger.

Production change
---

Measure
Do not replace any parts as this doesn’t improve the situation.

Customer information
When accelerating the maximum boost pressure is reached just above 2000 rpm. If the engine speed drops after releasing the accelerator, the drawn-in air accumulates and flows back. The resulting quiet flowing noise can only be heard briefly and is no technical complaint in the sense of warranty. It is a normal condition on all vehicles with 4 cylinder pump injector engine.

I would just like to see the official Audi documentation and if theres any more info available regarding this.

Thanks.

Very little info on that one beyond what you have. I believe I have a noise very similar and when the car was under warranty I tried to get help so years on I still have "the noise". But as its all a bit vague - who's to say my noise is "the noise" :)

Either way, nobody will do anything about it...

Thanks, i too think i have this "noise", which sounds like a bad/dry bearing sort of noise when the engine revs decrease after a quick blip of the throttle upto about 2000rpm in neutral.

Just that i stumbled on a forum post which mentioned this TPI.

Having a listen to my car certainly sounds as though this could be the issue.

Sounds very similar – i thought it was a grinding at first – can hear it up towards the driver most – air coming back up the intake I think.