2nd Opinions please

AuEdi

Reaction score
Hi All, I have an idea of what the problem/s is/are, I'd just like to get some of your thoughts and opinions to be sure so i'll list the symptoms and see what you guys think.

2004 A4 1.8t Cab

Symptoms

1. 85% of the time pulling away from stationary is a real challenge, the car vibrates and judders and I have to really work the clutch and accelerator to try and achieve a smooth takeaway. There will be the odd occasion where it's fine.

2. While driving slowly if I select 2nd gear and let the clutch out at a normal speed there's a loud metallic slapping noise sounds like it's coming from under the car.

3. When moving backwards and forwards slowly with the clutch at biting point there's a metal rattling coming from under the car. No rattling or vibration when stationary with the clutch in or out, only happens while moving.

4. On the odd occasion when I select 1st gear I don't feel any resistance but I hear and feel a loud clunk.

5. While driving if I dip on and off the throttle there's excessive forward/backwards movement in the gear stick. (suspect this could be snub which I have ordered to replace. Engine hydro mounts already replaced as one was leaky)

6. Sometimes when driving it will seem as though i'm running on about 50% engine almost and if power is now being transferred to the wheels properly.

I've scanned it a few times but no codes thrown.

Thanks in advance :)

Snub mount failing could cause excessive gear stick movement so worth doing.
Loss of power could be the ECU going into limp. What are you using to scan for codes? Some generic code readers don't recognise all VAG fault codes, furthermore there are several engine sensors which can be failing without throwing a code, MAF & coolant temp sensors for instance, & the only way to really check them is to use VCDS/Vagcom diagnostics engine measuring blocks.

Thanks, I'm using VCDS, the power loss isn't limp mode in this case as I've experienced that before on this car when the temp sensor was failing and that did throw a code, I replaced it (with a genuine one). My TT and Golf both went into limp mode at one point for various issues so I know what to expect with limp mode.

The main concern for me is the judder/wobble and constant battle to pull away and the rattle/slap noise when letting the clutch out in 2nd or holding the clutch at bite point.

I've just recently notice the same in #1, seems to struggle to engage moving forward with a judder almost clutch symptoms but it isnt clutch.

I have a HFC and Stainless exhaust which increased low end torque massively, wondering if it's so low now it's almost stalling as if i put 1-1.5k revs trhough it seems better but any more i risk wheelspinning.

Do you have any aftermarket pieces?

Mines completely standard, Cat was replaced a few years ago but all OEM stuff. I know what you mean, there's a fine line between enough revs to get it moving and spinning the wheels appearing to onlookers that I've got absolutely no clutch control.

The best way I can describe the judder is when pulling away is the whole car feels like an unbalanced washing machine on spin rather than a jerking motion.

Anyone else know or have had similar and know what this might be? Somethign traction control?

My assumption is clutch, DMF or release bearing fault for mine I was just trying to eliminate any other possibilities as there's no real way to check without having the box dropped and if i'm having the box dropped I may as well fit a solid flywheel kit. Thing is i'm not having the "classic" DMF failure symptoms and don't have any clutch slip so there's still a bit of doubt as to whether its clutch/flywheel related.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Does this sound like a clutch/flywheel issue?

the last couple of days the noise has become more prominent (mainly because I've had the windows open now it's getting warmer) anyway, when letting the clutch out at normal speed while driving there's a fairly loud metallic rattle/slap (like a tin full of ball bearings.) The faster I let it out the louder the slap/rattle noise. If I let if out very slowly you won't hear the noise. still no clutch slip but I do have the judder from stand still.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Welshquattro
UPDATE: Valeo Solid flywheel, clutch and release bearing have now gone in. Snub mount replaced at the same time. The takeaway is now smooth and as it should be, no juddering and the power transfer is now back and the car feels much smoother through the revs.

HOWEVER, there is still the issue of the metallic slap/rattle noise that appears when the input shaft is engaged (lifting of the clutch) while driving. It's also worth pointing out that if I sit with the engine either off or running and go through the gears it sounds very loud and clunky. Noisy selector/linkage? gearbox bearing issue or just a case of needing a fluid replacement? No noise at idle with clutch in or out which would suggest input bearing is ok.

Forwards/backward movement (slight) is still there on the gear stick when dipping on and off throttle.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated as it would be nice to get back to enjoying driving this car

Last edited:
GOod to hear you've fixed some issues, especially the annoying juddering in first! Do you know what specifically caused this or unable to tell as all replaced?

I still have this, very infrequent but it's annoying!