MMI knob differences ??

Green is for the TV Tuner and Brown is for the GSM antenna. Yellow is for AMI if you have it as well.

Grey is for the High Screen and uses a different connector which is keyed slightly differently to Low (the red/pinky) connector on your existing unit to stop you plugging in the lower resolution screen and blowing it up :)

If you don't have a TV tuner in your car then no need to worry about the amplifier for that and can just be unplugged.

In terms of the brown fakra connector, do you have the phone cradle in the armrest? If so, your antenna is GSM ready, if not you'll need a new sharkfin antenna.

Ok some update
I got my unit from a q7
And it works well I plug it in I hear music lol

Can I apologise and say I have the small screen I have ordered the big one

Here is my unit View attachment 90909
Sorry but the 8T2035670 is the older 3g High with Sim but this is NOT a 3G+. Even the manufacture date is from 2010 and back then the 3G+ did not exist.

Or have I got this wrong and you are showing us your existing units part number and not the one you want to replace with?!

As for cables its what @Slackworth said

No your correct it's a 8t2 my new one so I need 8r2 f me I knew I dropped on too good to be true

No I don't have cradle so will need new shark fin thank you
Thanks for the connector list I want the tv tuner too

Am like a kid in a sweetie factory but doesn't want to spend all his pocket money too

No your correct it's a 8t2 my new one so I need 8r2 f me I knew I dropped on too good to be true
I'm afriad you've got the wrong unit, well not 'wrong' but its just an older unit, and 8R2 is the correct one if you want 3G+

No I don't have cradle so will need new shark fin thank you
Thanks for the connector list I want the tv tuner too

Am like a kid in a sweetie factory but doesn't want to spend all his pocket money too
Here is a link that you can use to work out all the connections and the pin outs on each of the units
http://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a4...om_week_45/08_onwards)/mmi_maximum_equipment/

Except the sim and Audi connect that I cannot have as my vin doesn't match what's the difference between high and + all I seem to find is

666 +
670 + connect
652 basic

Just worked it all out the differences

Thanks anyway

How to tell
+ will play video from SD and DVD
Sim version has connect for online services google maps etc
Non sim need a to-link to make it do the stuff sim version will

high will play video from DVD only

Basic is exactly what it says

Last edited:
Some of the Audi Connect features like Google Maps will work but it's some of the more online interactive MyAudi services that won't work such as setting destinations on your computer and then sending to the MMI unit remotely.

3G+ has a totally new look and feel as well as A2DP audio streaming and slightly better looking maps but other than that they aren't too dissimilar - just depends how much you want to spend really.

Except the sim and Audi connect that I cannot have as my vin doesn't match what's the difference between high and + all I seem to find is

666 +
670 + connect
652 basic

You have to look at the COMPLETE PART NUMBER!!! here is a good bed time read for you to educate yourself on the Audi part numbers - http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Articles_PartNumbers.html

As Slackworth mentions below the difference between the different systems, I would also add that 3G+ has improved graphics, includes Wifi streaming, better speed, better maps rendering and you can get google earth on both sim and non sim versions.

746 is the USA equivalent of the European 670 - with Data SIM (Bluetooth High). Surprised it starts with 8F as Plus units I thought only started with 8R.

8R2035666 is definitely MMI 3G Plus but with only Bluetooth Low and no Audi connect however using a selection of TP-Link kit, you can still get Audi Connect. Change the end to 670 and you add SIM and Audi Connect.

8T2035666 is MMI 3G High with Bluetooth Low and 8T2035670 is the same but BT High.

If the code is 8T1 or 8R1 this is the LHD version, 8T2 or 8R2 are for RHD.

Thank you for babying me through sorry again for my what now seems embarrassing posts early on

Forgot to mention, I'm not sure if you need different glass installing on the TV Tuner. Certain Audi's in the past have required a new rear quarter window to add DAB for example as the antenna wires are built in to the glass itself.
Not sure if the B8 is the same or if the standard wires can support TV as long as the correct antenna amps are fitted.

There's a fair bit of interior ripping out to be done either way.

Found a 3G + for £400 non sim think am going for that as if I cannot send a destination to my car what's the point in the sim lol I will tp link for the google maps

Thanks again

Does anyone have a part number for the grey cable from MMI to screen

Found a 3G + for £400 non sim think am going for that as if I cannot send a destination to my car what's the point in the sim lol I will tp link for the google maps

Thanks again

Does anyone have a part number for the grey cable from MMI to screen
You will also need the new 3g+ controls with it as I think the older 3G controls have some issues of some buttons being swapped over, the controls are now 4 buttons along the sides instead of 8 buttons.

Ps. You might be able to find some cheaper ones on ebay, I would say it should be somewhere in the low £300 or high £200 region.

Yes I did work the controls out 4/8 button thanks it's just the cable am struggling to get hold of

Dont have the part number for it, its called an LVDS cable so might be worth searching on ebay for a similar one otherwise you could try Kufatec to send you just the LVDS cable although they might not be willing to do that.

Thanks again found a 8r2035666 for £200 am purchasing now lol been quoted £60 for the cable so at least there's hope

Thanks again

8F parts are aimed at the facelift A5 - Audi in their infinite wisdom do sometimes have what you could duplicate codes. On the A6 C6 the majority of units use the 3G High of 4E0035666 however if you look on eBay there are units that start 4F0 which do exactly the same job! I imagine these are fitted at the factory and parts buy the more common codes.

The display cable can be purchased from Audi but you pay quite a large amount of Audi Tax :) Kufatec have it here though: https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/display-cable-hsd-mmi-3g-mmi-3g-discover-pro. You'll also need to make sure the thin rectangular plug is present in order to provide the screen power - not sure if 3G basic and 3G high pin outs are the same in that connector - I would have thought so given its just 2 wires.

What @amafzal88 said about the keypad is correct. If you have a 3G High keypad not only will the buttons be the wrong way round, it won't physically work until you plug the correct 3G Plus keypad in and change the baud rate in the hidden green menu to match the 3G High keypad (kind of defeats the point of having the older style keypad unless you have a friend you can borrow a newer 3GP keypad from). You need the one with the silver buttons around the scroll wheel/joystick.

Code of the cable if you do want to buy it from Audi is 8K0971086B - should be around £130ish or you could do via parts request on here and save some £££.

If the 8-pin power connector isn't present you'll need that too - code is 3D0972708 - you'll also need some repair wires which is code 000979009E which go into that plug - if running directly to the fusebox, you'll need 000979133E in order to connect it there properly.

Last edited:
If the 8-pin power connector isn't present you'll need that too - code is 3D0972708 - you'll also need some repair wires which is code 000979009E which go into that plug - if running directly to the fusebox, you'll need 000979133E in order to connect it there properly.

I am pretty sure I have a spare power connector lying around with the pins in there already, I bought almost the whole loom from an existing facelift A4 so had quite a few wires, but used up most of them for my own retrofit.

I can send it to you @sarah1331 for a fiver if you need it.

Code of the cable if you do want to buy it from Audi is 8K0971086B - should be around £130ish or you could do via parts request on here and save some £££.

Just a NOOB question, where is the parts request area on this forum, need to find some parts so might as well request them here if I can find them!

Thank you all I'll have them if I need for a fiver thank you I'll check asap

Quick update the wrong 3G high works with my new screen

Cut the lug off the pink cable works fine

Can anyone give the surround part number please

And best way to remove scratches

Last edited:
I have heard that the low cable will fit the high screen - you just need to make sure that the connector is well on and put some tape on the connector and plug as it could come loose with the vibration on the road without the clip holding it in. If of course there's 10 tons of wiring behind it, that will push on the connector and should be fine without.

It's the wing at the side not the actual latch that needs trimming ;)

It's the wing at the side not the actual latch that needs trimming ;)

Ah ok that's cool then - good info for the future! Shame the 2G system is completely different :(