Best way to remove stuck on number plates?

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
I need to replace my number plates. They look to be stuck on, whats the best way to remove these and put the new ones on w/o any damage to the car?

cheers

Dental floss is the favorite trick.
New ones should use double sided foam tape or sticky pads. Just ensure both surfaces are properly clean & dry, use lighter fluid or white spirit. Warming up the adhesive with a hairdryer helps.

Reactions: Nathanm64
I had exactly the same problem with my rs4 front plate. It was stuck ALL OVER with that really sticky tape. I just got my fingers underneath one end of the plate and pulled. After pulling the plate off it was like a semi-circle !

I used a combination of my nails, warm soapy water, and a bit of white spirit to get the sticky residue off

WHilest on the subject about number plates - i have new plates due anytime in the next couple of weeks. Whats the best way to attach the new plates? Sticky tape from an auto shop or drill / screw?

CHeers.

To remove the old plates just get your fingers under them and pull them off. That double sided tape they use can be a right git though so you may find a fair bit of effort is required.

WD40 is very good for removing the old sticky stuff, use and old credit card to remove a lot of the reisdue and then clean it up with a rag and some WD40. You'll need to use some kind of spirit to remove that tho if you plan to stick new plates on.

Personally I prefer to stick the new plates on, not screw them I think it looks cleaner and tidier. The added bonus of this is it is easier to get them striaght. Once you've drilled the plates your kind of stcuk with them if they are on ******!!!

Halfords sell the sticky tabs for fixing the plates on.

J.

try using some strong fishing line .It wont scratch your car and you can use it to cut through the tape . Then remove the excess with some acetone or similar

A jet wash. Peel the actual pads off by hand to leave the sticky residue behind then just get a decent jet washer on it and it comes straight off.

Cheers guys, will have a go at the w/e.

One last question tho, is white spirit ok to use the way mentioned on clearcoat ?

mikeclark007 said:
WHilest on the subject about number plates - i have new plates due anytime in the next couple of weeks. Whats the best way to attach the new plates? Sticky tape from an auto shop or drill / screw?

CHeers.

It's personal preference really. I prefer double-sided sticky pads.

Yup,brute force and sticky tabs.
Can't say I ever bother removing the old residue either,as it's hidden anyway.

Ever noticed the amount of cars going around with manky numberplates ?
Like water/dirt has got between the plastic and the numbers ?
What's that all about ?
Jetwashes ?

Also you can use (dare I say it) Autoglym Tar Remover which rips through stickers and stuff like you wouldn't believe.

your lucky
I brought a brand new Sline few months ago and the back number plate fell off 3 times.
The really hot weeks we had about 1 month ago caused them to fall off. One time it was at 70 mph and this damaged the black plastic surround of the plate.
I managed to clean this up and remove it from the basic number plate and stick it back on.
Then one week later the sun heated the plate up again and this time slowly slipped off and down the rear bumper marking it on the way down because of grit under the tape from the first time.
I moaned to Audi and they tell me its the norm to stick plates on with tape onto a 23K car.....amazing

Anyway it does work if you use alot of tape like the foam style stuff..
good luck

Just discovered this page and thank you so much to everyone who’s commented, I’m after changing my plates and was after the best way to remove and replace, I shall try all ideas suggested. Thanks again guys

Reactions: Lukep27
Just discovered this page and thank you so much to everyone who’s commented, I’m after changing my plates and was after the best way to remove and replace, I shall try all ideas suggested. Thanks again guys

If you already have screw-holes in your bumper/grille, you could get a pair of number plate surrounds that your plates will clip in and out of. I've had a pair of autohaus wolfsberg on mine for 6 years with no problems, they hold the plates in extremely well and it's easy enough to swap them over whenever you want to (I have a pair of german show plates I like to put in when the car's on display... which lately is never!)

If you already have screw-holes in your bumper/grille, you could get a pair of number plate surrounds that your plates will clip in and out of. I've had a pair of autohaus wolfsberg on mine for 6 years with no problems, they hold the plates in extremely well and it's easy enough to swap them over whenever you want to (I have a pair of german show plates I like to put in when the car's on display... which lately is never!)
Brilliant I didn’t thing of that!! Yea I’ve just pulled them off now and there is holes for screws I bought a pair of holders to go with new plates .. should the stick idea fail I will try that, thank you!

Brilliant I didn’t thing of that!! Yea I’ve just pulled them off now and there is holes for screws I bought a pair of holders to go with new plates .. should the stick idea fail I will try that, thank you!

If you get the right sticky pads they wont fail, I bought some cheap ones many years back and lost my rear plate twice (was able to retrieve it). PLUS, not only do some number plate surrounds look cool.. if you accidentally roll into something when parking up (wall, tree, bollard) the number plate surround would also prevent the number plate being cracked, causing water to get in and "deface" the lettering, rendering it a potential MOT failure... My god I'm such a geek

I always screw on

Plates are getting nicked on a regular now, and its usually ones that are stuck on to get pulled off first

I’ve been using sticky pads for the new pressed plates I ordered last year. So far so good.

@Omy193 really? What type of low life steals number plates and for what?

I’ve been using sticky pads for the new pressed plates I ordered last year. So far so good.

@Omy193 really? What type of low life steals number plates and for what?
Mate you’d be surprised!
My aunty had plates pulled off her toyota last year. They were later used to make off without paying for fuel! Good job she had reported to police as soon as she noticed.

Stolen plates are also being used on cars which are then used in burglaries/robberies to steal other cars (stolen cars page on facebook has evidence of this)

I had a car for sale last year, someone looked up my ad, then had my number plates cloned, i was contacted through the post by police about reckless driving and speeding, the date the alleged offences took place my car was parked on the driveway as I had taken a deposit on it a few days before and was no longer using it!
I suppose sticky pads or screws wouldn’t have prevented that one lol

Yikes, that’s bad! Thankfully being a north Londoner I only have to deal with moped muggers

I’m trying to remove my rear plates and they ain’t for budging! As much as you try and prize it gives the smallest amount of give...like 2% lol, and it feels like you’d have to be Superman to pull these off. Tempted to ask Audi to remove and fit my short plates

I’m trying to remove my rear plates and they ain’t for budging! As much as you try and prize it gives the smallest amount of give...like 2% lol, and it feels like you’d have to be Superman to pull these off. Tempted to ask Audi to remove and fit my short plates

Dental floss wire works a treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk