Need Help fitting a new headunit

quigley61

Reaction score
Hi guys, new poster here.

I've been looking around trying to figure out the exact stuff that I need to swap out my OEM headunit for an aftermarket pioneer one, but I've got no clue what I actually need. It seems most of the stuff online is for double DIN systems, whereas mine is just a single DIN unit.

I'll post some tech specs to try and help you guys.

late 53 plate, chassis 8P1.
As far as I'm aware my system is a non-bose system, as it doesn't say it on the grills on the speakers, and when I had the door card off on my passenger side the speakers weren't bose branded. I don't think I have a sub either unless Audi has hidden it in some strange place, also no 6 cd changer(again as far as im aware)

32uvu6g.jpg

This is what my current headunit looks like if its of any help to you guys.

The unit I've got to replace my OEM headunit is a Pioneer DEH X8700BT.

Changing the head unit in the audi is alot harder than it was in my corsa :neutral:

Im not sure how to tell if im full amplified/half amplified/not amplified at all.

I'd be looking for the full kit to do it if possible; facia,adapter, keys, etc.

Sorry if i've been unhelpful but i'm not too clued up on the who audio situation, but I hope all i've gave some of you guys who are in the know enough info.

Cheers guy :grinning:

I did this very recently. Your system is more than likely a half amplified non-Bose with a concealed sub and amp in the boot on the left side behind the carpet. If so, you need this:

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...wheel-stalk-control-adaptor.html?search=ctsad

It's plug and play, works great and amplifies the rears beautifully. A lot of the problems you'll read about online are people who do this and end up with much quieter rears & sub. This harness fixes that problem.

You need to convert to double DIN cage, then you can fit your Pioneer HU. Have a search on this forum as both subjects are covered, probably a YouTube video on it as well. You may also need an extra loom if you have steering wheel controls.

You can soon find out if there is a sub in the boot. Switch radio on to radio 2, adjust front/rear fade control to the rear, open boot, stick yer head in and you'll hear a bassy voice of Steve Wright in your left ear. There is no speaker grill or slots in the side panel so probably why you thought there was nothing there. The sub amp is in the right hand side behind the panel BTW.

Last edited:
Here's info on how to remove and install a single din! But i haven't seen or done myself yet (prob in next 2months) a video on how to install double din cage and HU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does he need to go double DIN? He wants to install a single DIN Pioneer head unit

I just assumed all these new head units were double DIN, seems like I'm wrong :shutup2:

Thanks for the response guys,

The main issue I had was that I don't know what kind of amplification my system has, chances are its half amplified but I didn't want to go and spend 20-70 quid on a harness that wouldn't work correctly. I did consider a double DIN just for the hell of it, but I don't fancy spending all day ripping my dash apart for me to then forget to plug a cable back in.

I've not done any wiring since school so I'd like to avoid running wires Tim, cheers for the videos; hopefully they'll be useful soon enough.

I was hoping the harness would be a tenner like it was for my brothers BM, but no luck.

Anyway once my new head unit comes I'll have a play around hopefully this weekend.

Sorry for bombarding, I have the exact same single din and feel as if I'm in same boat having to go for the pioneer.

Ideally though I'm wanting to go to a double din at the very top above the cup holder, esp & hazzard buttons etc.

Every post I've found with people fitting an RNS-E , there fitting on 8PA which looks different to this on the 8P1

If it's possible, what is needed?

Any answers would be really appreciated.

Kindest regards