Chrome fog ring mod

205man

Reaction score
I know some off you guys have thought about fitting chrome fog rings from later model a3 to prefacelift but ive not seen anyone post a photo of it done.
I had done this mod about a a year ago but after 6 months i lost one of the rings so just removed the other until i got round to trying again. Having worked out why the old one probably fell off
Well this weekend i finally sorted it so thought i should post some photos.

So i found someone selling a set of front fog surrounds complete with rings and chrome strips and got them for £13 inc postage..... and after quite a bit of work this is the result on my 57 plate sportback......

20160412 171621
20160412 171501
20160412 171412

Afraid not as there are no clip holes on the earlier models... the rings and strips are bonded to the surround but its nots just a case of sticking them on as theres quite of bit of other work involved beforehand

Looks great mate, i want to do this. Could you post a link up for the parts pls? I'd prob do the same as you but without the horizontal lines ;)

What else was required?

Cheers
Donny

No unfortunatley you cant just buy the rings on their own even though they come apart and have their own part number.
Audi will only sell them as a complete package.

Best bet is to look on ebay for a second hand set but be patient as some are still expensive considering all you want isn the chrome bit. I have seen single sides for about £30 so would cost you £60ish but i was being tight and waited wish luckily paid off as got a pair for £13.

I wasnt going to do the strips but as they came with them i thought id just try to see if i could modify to fit and what they would look like

Are you referring to looking on eBay for the fogs which are already on the A3/S3 grilles? did u have to separate them. Link? Guide? cheers :)

You will need to buy the fog light surrounds from the later a3's. Which will have the rings and strips fitted. They will not fit early models as they are as completely different shape and size to the ones fitted on earlier models

You will then have to dismantle the rings and strips and then with some filing work on the rings to make them sit flush and the strips will need cutring down to size and shaping to fit.
Theres a few other little jobs like sanding of the chrome backing to ensure the adhesive will bond to them.

I realised after i had finshed i should have taken photos of the work needed so others could see

Reactions: Donny_DJ