TT spare tyre??

Gill ZB

Reaction score
is it common practice for a main dealer to sell a used Audi with no spare tyre in boot? A friend told me that cars no longer have spare tyres and should have been supplied with a foam or liquid that allows tyre to be mended enough to get to nearest garage ... There also appear to be tools missing - or spaces for them. Salesman ticked that I had accepted everything on the inventory - it's only now that dust settles that I wonder just what I'm missing - surely he should have gone through all the things on list before ticking them off?? Know I've said before but I really think the sale was rushed through - and when I declined finance my value as a customer also declined. It was a case of - you want the car? Sign there...oh and even though you took a half day off work and the car wasn't ready when we said it would be were still billing you £20 diesel - surely as a gesture of goodwill they could have filled the tank up ? £20 doesn't cover the afternoon tjat I took off work - unpaid-not to mention them telling me the car wasn't ready when they said it would be but I still had to go and pay for it and drive off in my old car ! I wouldn't recommended this garage to anyone - unless you want finance - if you have cash (Or a loan from your own bank) they want your money but your value as a customer is zero.

is it common practice for a main dealer to sell a used Audi with no spare tyre in boot? A friend told me that cars no longer have spare tyres and should have been supplied with a foam or liquid that allows tyre to be mended enough to get to nearest garage ... There also appear to be tools missing - or spaces for them. Salesman ticked that I had accepted everything on the inventory - it's only now that dust settles that I wonder just what I'm missing - surely he should have gone through all the things on list before ticking them off?? Know I've said before but I really think the sale was rushed through - and when I declined finance my value as a customer also declined. It was a case of - you want the car? Sign there...oh and even though you took a half day off work and the car wasn't ready when we said it would be were still billing you £20 diesel - surely as a gesture of goodwill they could have filled the tank up ? £20 doesn't cover the afternoon tjat I took off work - unpaid-not to mention them telling me the car wasn't ready when they said it would be but I still had to go and pay for it and drive off in my old car ! I wouldn't recommended this garage to anyone - unless you want finance - if you have cash (Or a loan from your own bank) they want your money but your value as a customer is zero.

They did away with the spare in the TT a while ago (possibly as of Mk II?). It was my understanding that they provided a can of goop and a compressor for temporary repair. As it happens, my car (model year 2013) came without the spare and no goop or compressor, not even a jack. It was a dealer demo with less than 150 km on the clock and I hadn't even seen it in the flesh before I bought it. Got it from an Audi dealer 500 km away in the neighbouring province of Quebec and they dropped it off on a transport near my house (long story...).

Needless to say, I didn't check the spare tyre situation until I got a nail in one three or four months after purchase and the pressure monitor went off. Fortunately a slow leak and I was able to nurse it to get it plugged with multiple petrol station stops to keep the pressure up. Contacted the dealer to inquire about the possibly missing repair equipment, but they were only interested in selling me the compressor kit and/or jack as they are optional equipment, not standard. :sour: Not pleased, but gave up pursuing it with the dealer as I couldn't find anything written anywhere that said the stuff should be present.

Reactions: Gill ZB
They did away with the spare in the TT a while ago (possibly as of Mk II?). It was my understanding that they provided a can of goop and a compressor for temporary repair. As it happens, my car (model year 2013) came without the spare and no goop or compressor, not even a jack. It was a dealer demo with less than 150 km on the clock and I hadn't even seen it in the flesh before I bought it. Got it from an Audi dealer 500 km away in the neighbouring province of Quebec and they dropped it off on a transport near my house (long story...).

Needless to say, I didn't check the spare tyre situation until I got a nail in one three or four months after purchase and the pressure monitor went off. Fortunately a slow leak and I was able to nurse it to get it plugged with multiple petrol station stops to keep the pressure up. Contacted the dealer to inquire about the possibly missing repair equipment, but they were only interested in selling me the compressor kit and/or jack as they are optional equipment, not standard. :sour: Not pleased, but gave up pursuing it with the dealer as I couldn't find anything written anywhere that said the stuff should be present.
I have paperwork that has boxes ticked for all the stuff that I don't have !! Like I say - sale was rushed through and nothing explained - was told it was end of month(and tax year!) so they obviously just wanted my money - thanks to this forum and advice I've received (thankyou everyone who has helped me ) I am not sigming anything though it's too late now to ditch the warranty they can wait for paperwork. Learnt a lot from this experience but won't be repeating it as I plan to keep my beloved TT until one of us dies first :fearscream::tearsofjoy: or I hit the big time and can afford a new TT (though I'd still keep him :kissingheart:) saw a lovely sporty looking jag overtake me yesterday - too fast for me to see what model it was but it was stunning - think it had a 14 plate :tonguewink:wouldn't mind one of those too lol!!!

Cash was always king years ago, but unfortunately the sales guys get commission on finance now so they are really keen to push it.
Gill the gunk that gets you to a garage will wreck your tyre, so make sure your in RAC or similar who then will take you a garage.
What a lot of peeps do including me Is to get a mk5 golf space saver wheel from eBay or breakers, as you have the 17s on your car the space saver will be 18" dont know why? think its to do with the profile of the tyre you then need to trim the foam in your boot where the tools and jack live, or in your case by the sound of it where they should live some of the space saver wheels on eBay come with the jack and tools so if yours are missing search till one comes up with them two jobs for the price of one,

Reactions: Gill ZB and RCD6FC
Cash was always king years ago, but unfortunately the sales guys get commission on finance now so they are really keen to push it.
Gill the gunk that gets you to a garage will wreck your tyre, so make sure your in RAC or similar who then will take you a garage.
What a lot of peeps do including me Is to get a mk5 golf space saver wheel from eBay or breakers, as you have the 17s on your car the space saver will be 18" dont know why? think its to do with the profile of the tyre you then need to trim the foam in your boot where the tools and jack live, or in your case by the sound of it where they should live some of the space saver wheels on eBay come with the jack and tools so if yours are missing search till one comes up with them two jobs for the price of one,

I didn't realise the gunk would ruin the tyre, but I'm not surprised. I think it's just supposed to get you somewhere you can replace the offending tyre, rather than repair it. Glad I didn't have to find out in my situation! :wink:

I had considered (and still considering) getting a space saver but haven't actually forced myself into action yet. I'd still need to get a jack as well, unless I had one of my trolley jacks and axle stands rolling around in the back there. 'Til then, just running around with my fingers crossed!

:racer:

Reactions: Gill ZB
I've got breakdown cover with my expensive warranty lol!!! Got the Jack though . The last time I changed a wheel was in 1995 when I did a car maintenance/body repair course !!! I wouldn't mind doing something like again though in those days cars were easy to work on - changing the oil, cleaning the spark plugs - wd40 all over the distributor cap ....happy days!! Now everything is digital, diagnostic and I haven't a clue lol!!!

I didn't realise the gunk would ruin the tyre, but I'm not surprised. I think it's just supposed to get you somewhere you can replace the offending tyre, rather than repair it. Glad I didn't have to find out in my situation! :wink:

I had considered (and still considering) getting a space saver but haven't actually forced myself into action yet. I'd still need to get a jack as well, unless I had one of my trolley jacks and axle stands rolling around in the back there. 'Til then, just running around with my fingers crossed!

:racer:
Yeah me too - breakdown cover and hoping for the best lol!!

I bought a spare space saver off eBay for approx £80. I had it in the last tt under the boot floor, all i had to do to get it to fit was remove 1 half of the polystyrene and lift the amp and gently place wheel in and wedge it in.

When i put it into the new one will take some pics and put them in a thread. ;-)

Reactions: 45bvtc and Gill ZB