Car won't start in morning!!

JayA4Turbo

Reaction score
ok..yesterday morning i went to start my car ((98)A4 1.8TS),it started fine but then just died about 5 seconds later! Tried starting again but engine just kept turning over but would not start! Had to leave it there and get a lift to work! Tried it again early evening when i got home and it started first time and ran fine!!
Went out this morning engine turns over but won't start!
The only thing thats suddenly changed is the weather! Quite cold now in the morning!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks

Jay, I had similar problems about 6 months ago with mine before I stacked it and the water pump failed, and since I've had no problems. I suspected at the time that the thermal sensor on the engine was faulty and telling the ECU that the engine was actually hotter than it actually was and so was altering the fueling to suit and from this give problems with running and starting. The first things I did was changed to optimax for cleaner burning/running due to my short runs to work and whenevr I would stop I would leave the car idling for about 30 sces to a minute just to make sure it wasn't because the plugs were getting damp or something stupid like that, which all seemed to help, but not cure the problem. Anyway when the water pump was replaced they said they had found a damged wire on one of the thermal sensors (Don't ask where, because the service advisor couldn't tell me and the mechanic wasn't about)....since then I've not had a problem.

Check the obvious things first, i.e. loose connections etc. then I'd be inclined to check the plugs to make sure they are nice and clean, and failing that I'd try and figure out which of the thermal sensors on the engine block affects fueling/running, as I know I'm not the only one that's had this problem.

Good luck.

Gambba, thanks for all the tips! Will be looking into it tonight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thanks

Jay

Is it the immobiliser? If the engine runs momentarily and dies, the immobiliser could be ********. Try the spare key, or watch out for the key warning light on the dash...

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
Is it the immobiliser? If the engine runs momentarily and dies, the immobiliser could be ********. Try the spare key, or watch out for the key warning light on the dash...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good point, start very basic and try with your spare key as David says....well caught David.

Well heres wot we found.. Its not the immobiliser cos the green light is on, so kinda rules that one out!

We took out the relay and tried that on the battery, and it switches just fine, which leaves the ECU... So going to check that out tomorrow. (alo, we got the fuel pump to kick in so thats not an issue either... Whats the chances of the ECU being up sh1t creek?

Rich

Sorry.. the green light for the immobiliser.. its an audi upgrade(cat1), so not the standard alarm/immobiliser!

It WAS intermittent, but yesterday wouldnt start at all!! so i reckon its no longer intermittent!

Sorry... keep forget to mention things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich

Yep... Sportec (AmD)... shouldnt think that'll have anything to do with it tho.

Getting a VAG-COM later anyway so we can take a look.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
good idea, i'm not fond of the AmD stuff there are a lot dodgy people working there, I've heard some have websites too! You have been warned,

[/ QUOTE ]

Wot the **** r u on about m8? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My educated(ish) guess would be G62 - coolant temperature sender as someone mentioned... Pretty common, doesn't always show up on VAG1551 (or similar) though. They're only about £20...
When the car does run, does it sometimes over rev etc?

[ QUOTE ]
Loretta said:
My educated(ish) guess would be G62 - coolant temperature sender as someone mentioned... Pretty common, doesn't always show up on VAG1551 (or similar) though. They're only about £20...
When the car does run, does it sometimes over rev etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to be able to tell you! asn't started for about a week now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have a feeling its the immobiliser cos VAG-CO cant see the engins, but can see eerything else in the car... which makes me think the immobiliser has been installed after the ECU but before the engine, cos there is no voltage going to coilpacks, fuel pump.etc,

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
good idea, i'm not fond of the AmD stuff there are a lot dodgy people working there, I've heard some have websites too! You have been warned,

[/ QUOTE ]

[cough]fiestaprojects.com......[/cough] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif