Headlight Restoration

S3AMJ

OEM+
Reaction score
I'm looking at restoring my headlights/tail lights to there former glory.

I've come across this stuff new from meguiars, looks the business and comes with a UV protection lacquer!

Anyone used this before and had good results?

It is meant to be very good.

If you look through @<tuffty/> build pages, he has a detailed write up in there on when he did it on his car.

Cheers Nilz, don't worry I've read through Pauls build thread.... The bible in S3 terms. I didn't think he used this stuff though as it only came out late last year

Don't you get better results sanding headlights with (600)800/1000/1500/2000
Cleaning all residue with Isopropyl alcohol or something similar.

For clearcoat apply 50/50 mix of Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane clear gloss with mineral spirits using foam staining brush.

Despite all they are selling you plastic-x with paint thinner and little bottle of varnish.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPG
3m kit is supposed to be pretty good. I used the old Megs kit (wool pad for the drill and plastic polish and some sanding pads) and i didnt think much of it...

Apparently as Tom says the 3M one is meant to be better and been around longer.

For clearcoat apply 50/50 mix of Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane clear gloss with mineral spirits using foam staining brush.

Despite all they are selling you plastic-x with paint thinner and little bottle of varnish.

Thanks for your input, I've used varies grit wet and sand before on previous cars. Was just wondering if anyone had used this particular product.

The 3m is tried and tested as is your method.

3m kit is supposed to be pretty good. I used the old Megs kit (wool pad for the drill and plastic polish and some sanding pads) and i didnt think much of it...

Cheers Tom, your not the only person who's mentioned the 3m kit. Looks like you can get great results. I was just seeing if anyone had used this particular product from meguiars before as it claims more than 12 months uv protection, etc.

Apparently as Tom says the 3M one is meant to be better and been around longer.

Thanks Nilz, if no one has tried this new meguiars kit. I'm in two minds of weather to try it and show others my results or go down the old school route with the 3m kit or just wet and sand, etc.

I got best results with sandpaper from 600-3000. Then using da polisher applied meguiars plastx and then meguiars lens protection.

Reactions: MSTRKRFTSMN
I used the meguiars kit this weekend. £13 from eBay. Basically there are 3 sand pads labelled 1-4 which you use to wet sand the headlight. Mine came with plastx Polish and a protective cream to finish. Took about half an hour and the difference was huge.

The pads were perfectly sized for the job and much easier to use than sand paper, however they didn't last long. My lights were pretty damn bad though. I think another go will get them almost perfect.

Reactions: Nilz
Are there any kits that can used by hand if you don't have a drill to hand?

Decided to go with the 3m kit and 2k clear cost lacquer with uv protection on top. Thanks all

Make sure to get some before and afters, could be a handy little review for that kit :)

i did this route

and ended up polishing up with Meguiar's Plast-x and headlights have been excellent ever since! Give it a buff every other time i was the car and all is happy with my headlights.

i've not tried the 50/50 coat thing. should look into it for preservation purposes. what's a generic term for the Minwax Helmsman Spar urethane clear gloss? i doubt we'd have that exact brand in Oz