Anyone own a Nokia N73 (3G)??

axelfols

Reaction score
Hello,
Having read the reviews on The Sony K800i i'm convinced that its a super phone but, i'm interested in the Nokia N73. Its apparently just out and boasts the same 3.2 mega pixel quality of the Sony. having used Nokia's for years i've became used to their features and "useabillity". I tried a Motorola V3 Last year and it sucked. I've also heard that the toggle on the Sony is prone to breaking. So, if anyone has an N73 i'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are. Many thanks in advance.

If its anything like the two previous N series phones I've had then it will be pretty good. I have had an N70 and now have the N80, the only problem is the stupid firmware Orange decide to endow upon it. If you get one on Orange, get it debranded and updated with the latest NOKIA firmware then it'll perform like it should!

my two new handsets this year are a SE k800i and a Nokia N73. Ive had a SE phones for the last 4 years..(t68, t68i, t610, k750i and w800i)

I had the N73, and the missus had the k800i. The more you look on the net, the more and more debates you'll see with the title "K800i or N73?"....

The K800i feels plush, but the camera cover was a showstopper for me, plus i kinda fancied a symbian phone so i can run TOMTOM navigator6 - so i went for the n73.

The N73 is kinda sluggish - but so is the k800i after giving it a go for a while.

The night capabilities of the camera on the k800i kicks the *** of the N73 though - as the k800i has a proper flash tube rather than a crappy LED flash.

The main point of annoyance for me on the n73 is the keypad. Its just that little bit too fiddly. I'd still choose a N73 though givent he choice again. And the missus would still choose her K800i.

In reality they both have good points and bad points.

Does Navigator 6 work with N73?? Called Tom Tomand they couldn't guarantee its as its not on their list of compatible phones. Cheers

Put it this way! i work for vodafone in upgrades and the k800i is by far the better phone out of the 2! the N80 was discontinued 3months after it was released as over 50% of them cam back because they were faulty!

Ive always had nokias, but latley they such a$$ big time! Ive now got the K800i and i can safely say that it IS the best phone on the market at the moment! :D

For a subjective view, have a look on esato - a respected SE forum. There's a lengthy post over there on the ins and outs - far too many to repost here.

The bottom line is that the n73 is a smartphone and the k800i is a mediaphone. Dont apply N80 reviews to the n73. the N80 was far too buggy, had rubbish battery life, no autofocus and the wireless was next to unusable.

I couldn't make up my mind so i got one of each. I now find i use the n73 the most.

again, head off to esato.com and have a read through. You'll get the odd die hard SE fan chucking in a few un-quantified comments, but the criticisims are well structured and make sense.

axelfols said:
Does Navigator 6 work with N73?? Called Tom Tomand they couldn't guarantee its as its not on their list of compatible phones. Cheers

again, have a look on esato, and ebay. There was an auction i was looking at that said that he'd tested it on an N73, and found it to work. Don't take my word for it though ;)

madvw said:
The bottom line is that the n73 is a smartphone and the k800i is a mediaphone. Dont apply N80 reviews to the n73. the N80 was far too buggy, had rubbish battery life, no autofocus and the wireless was next to unusable.

I have an N80 and i use the wireless all the time, even with WPA encryption it works no problem at all. there are a few bugs but nothing I couldn't live with.

Look on 3g.co.uk for a really good idea which is the best.

A4Quattro said:
I have an N80 and i use the wireless all the time, even with WPA encryption it works no problem at all. there are a few bugs but nothing I couldn't live with.

Look on 3g.co.uk for a really good idea which is the best.
plus as well since you've been able to update the firware yourself from the nokia website, the N80 has become loads better too. A few people have stopped whinging about theres altogether. Not heard any reports from roaming between wireless AP's on public networks though yet.

unfortunately though, most reviews i've seen were done on pre-release firmware, where all the problems existed... other problems, as you've already stated, come from operators unsuccessful modification and branding of the firmware.

Damn that DIY upgrading tool!! it ******** up my phone good style! had to be sent back to Nokia, you had any luck with it?

A4Quattro said:
Damn that DIY upgrading tool!! it ******** up my phone good style! had to be sent back to Nokia, you had any luck with it?

nah, theres no new firmware for the n73 yet... i'm waiting with baited breath though, as there's supposed to be loads added with the next release, like a much better music player... bad to hear about your n80 though, what happened?

u'll get used to the SE menus in no time, and not being biased but they are genuinly probably the best menu systems at the mo, also k800i is a lot more ergernomic then the n73, from experiance. get the k800i, cant go wrong.