OEM rear led lights

Macdoon

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to replace a single led bulb.... Just had one go grrrr

Mac, try a message to @t8ups, he may be able to tell you.

Don't know why I didn't think of that Sandra... Cheers
You would have thought of it soon Mac. Hope you get it sorted soon. :) x

Reactions: Macdoon
Anyone know if it's possible to replace a single led bulb.... Just had one go grrrr

Don't know why I didn't think of that Sandra... Cheers
Please let us know how you get on. I think quite a few people would like to know if this can be done!

Reactions: Macdoon and James.B8
If they're anything like A6 Avant rear clusters then no unless you're an electronics god with superb soldering skills. Getting access to the LEDs involves breaking the glue that holds the lens on the top as well. :(

I don't think you can replace them.

There's loads of LED units with one bulb gone on eBay so it probably suggests that that is the case.

What I would suggest (as you can tell above I've had first hand experience with the other halfs' car) is to look for the Valeo branded units (assuming the same brand as the A6) rather than buying Audi as they're half the price.

For what you would pay for a second hand Audi unit, you can get a new Valeo unit. The part number is identical bar one digit at the end and they're a perfect fit - just no Audi part number on them.

Like JG says, there's no harm trying to fix even if you have very basic soldering skills but as soon as I tried to get the lens off the front, they shattered into several hundred pieces and are now on the way to making power at an incinerator somewhere!!! :D

Reactions: RS5 JON
Sounds like you'll be doing a bit of DIY Mac, no doubt you'll have a go at sorting this, what you got to lose mate.

JG
Managed to source an inner unit from eBay. ... will defo be having a stab at fixing tho John, and just remembered I've got the after market set in garage with 3 bulbs out... so will fix them too lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra and RS5 JON
What I would suggest (as you can tell above I've had first hand experience with the other halfs' car) is to look for the Valeo branded units (assuming the same brand as the A6) rather than buying Audi as they're half the price.

For what you would pay for a second hand Audi unit, you can get a new Valeo unit. The part number is identical bar one digit at the end and they're a perfect fit - just no Audi part number on them.

Like JG says, there's no harm trying to fix even if you have very basic soldering skills but as soon as I tried to get the lens off the front, they shattered into several hundred pieces and are now on the way to making power at an incinerator somewhere!!! :D
Thanks for the info mate

Managed to source an inner unit from eBay. ... will defo be having a stab at fix ing tho John, and just remembered I've got the after market set in garage with 3 bulbs out... so will fix them to lol

Nice one mate, quite sure there will be a few interested if you manage to get them sorted. :salute:

JG

Reactions: Sandra
Managed to source an inner unit from eBay. ... will defo be having a stab at fix ing tho John, and just remembered I've got the after market set in garage with 3 bulbs out... so will fix them to lol
If anyone can do it Mac,it will be you. I will watch this space for your progress. ;)

If you're having a go at fixing I've heard that putting the lens in the oven on a very low temp for a short time to heat the glue up can work but no experience. Unfortunately while they make the halogen bulb part accessible, the LEDs themselves can only be accessed from the front - stupid design but then they obviously aren't intended to be a serviceable part.

If you're having a go at fixing I've heard that putting the lens in the oven on a very low temp for a short time to heat the glue up can work but no experience. Unfortunately while they make the halogen bulb part accessible, the LEDs themselves can only be accessed from the front - stupid design but then they obviously aren't intended to be a serviceable part.
I'll be trying the oven idea.... on my old B7 I used a heat gun for the headlights..
Worked but nearly took the skin off the fingers lol....

If anyone has a spare broken one they don't want I wouldn't mind having a go at repairing one, I've split and repaired quite a few Bmw lights and would imagine they won't be that much different,

When my leds started to go one at a time I had look at splitting the light and frankly it was far too much hassle! The best place I found for a replacement was euro car parts, I believe it was around £75 for a brand new inner light using one of their discount codes.

That was the OEM part rather than a cheap copy, just doesn't have the Audi part number printed on it.

When my leds started to go one at a time I had look at splitting the light and frankly it was far too much hassle! The best place I found for a replacement was euro car parts, I believe it was around £75 for a brand new inner light using one of their discount codes.

That was the OEM part rather than a cheap copy, just doesn't have the Audi part number printed on it.

ECP do some aftermarket lights cheap and they also do the Valeo units I mentioned above but even with discount codes I managed to get the Valeo units cheaper even including the carriage from eBay Germany.

I agree unless you have a degree in electronics then it's just far too much hassle trying to unsolder and resolder new LEDs on to the PCB inside the lens.

The whole idea of LED bulbs (apart from being brighter) is that they were designed to last 9 years and shouldn't need replacing! So it's disappointing hearing owners have some go on their cars.

It's disappointing knowing that they have a unserviceable part with a working life of only 9 years. Going to cost people a lot of money when they start going wrong (which is why audi probably charge so much for new units)

It's disappointing knowing that they have a unserviceable part with a working life of only 9 years. Going to cost people a lot of money when they start going wrong (which is why audi probably charge so much for new units)

I wish it was as long as 9 years! The A6 is an 09 plate and both outer clusters had completely died as of about 3 months ago. They had been getting dimmer and dimmer as time went on over a 12 month period.

To top it off the centre brake light has died now and waiting for me to replace it :gun2: Another 40 quid down the toilet!

Last edited: