Different Boost Level Depending on Gear?

rallye_turbo

Reaction score
Hi All.

Picked up a Audi TT (still have my S3). Difference in handling and performance is night and day. S3 has adjustable anti roll bars and coilovers. TT is largely OEM but with 40mm drop springs. Anyway, the TT has been remapped with 3" downpipe, exhaust, de-cat, etc - largely the same as my S3. However, the TT has a boost gauge which is interesting to note what is happening in gear and thought the rev range and throttle position. It would appear that the max boost of 1.5/1.6 Bar is only seen in higher gears. Is this due to mapping? This could be the reason why my S3 feels faster (as it has had rods done) and mapped more aggressively accordingly.

Hi All.

Picked up a Audi TT (still have my S3). Difference in handling and performance is night and day. S3 has adjustable anti roll bars and coilovers. TT is largely OEM but with 40mm drop springs. Anyway, the TT has been remapped with 3" downpipe, exhaust, de-cat, etc - largely the same as my S3. However, the TT has a boost gauge which is interesting to note what is happening in gear and thought the rev range and throttle position. It would appear that the max boost of 1.5/1.6 Bar is only seen in higher gears. Is this due to mapping? This could be the reason why my S3 feels faster (as it has had rods done) and mapped more aggressively accordingly.

I know Bill @badger5 does geared mapping like this (sure he's not the only one!), but I thought it was mainly for FWD cars that struggle to get power down to the road...

Still, could always be a possibility in this case!

Higher gear = more load. More load = more boost. At least that's how I understand it...

My car hits 1.5-1.55 bar of boost going uphill in 4th. It never does at WOT in lower gears (peaks at 1.35-1.4). Someone more enlightened can confirm this, not that experienced with turbo cars... yet. :)