Brake pad warning light

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
hi guys, just replaced my front pads last night, I have drove all day today and the warning light is still on for the pads.

I got Pagid pads and one of them came with some sort of connector wire on it, however the pads that were taken out of my car had no connectors on them. I have cable tied the wire on the new one out of the way.

Does anyone know how I can get this warning light taken off, will I have to use vcds?

Thanks

Did you change them yourself or take the garages word for it?

The wear sensor is fitted to the passenger side disc, on the inside pad. When the pad wears down, it works its way through the thin wire and effectively breaks the circuit. I would suggest you take a look and double check that it hasnt.

Did the old pads not have any sensor fitted to them? Did the light only illuminate recently?

20151121_132100_zpsvfgvukhu.jpg

I purchased some Pagid pads and sensors for my old 3 series - had the exact same issue. Got a genuine BMW wire and it cleared 30s later. Had Pagid since though and been fine so perhaps just a dud lead.

May be a bit of coincidence but are the rear pads ready for changing?

If your light has come on then there has got to be a plug on the passenger side for the wear sensor.
Perhaps whoever fitted the last lot bypassed it with a piece of wire which fell out when you replaced the pads. Have a root around - it should be fairly obvious and you should see the bracket it attaches to.

Or maybe they've done this ?
Brakesensor2

Could it be the rear pads ?

Have you tried resetting the light, Carista is a good wee app

i'll just hijack this thread as it saves creating a new one ~ was driving home on Fri, got the green (O) warning message up, so i booked her in for this morn...and typically on the drive in, there's no sign of the warning :-/ best get it looked at, being brakes, but a little annoying if i get charged.

turns out it's a "resistance fault in the wiring harness" ~ wtf does that mean? :-\

Sounds like its the cable on the brake pad. On old B7 I just cut it and spliced together. Put light off until I replaced pads the next time.

I’m going to jump in here, I have a 2013 B8.5, and the brake pad warning light came on last night. The pads seem to have a decent amount on them, how long can I drive with the light on before replacing?

thanks