Y90CBED project thread

Y90CBED

Reaction score
So i thought i would start a small thread of how process has gone since owning the B8! It is a 2.0Tdi 170 edition. I originally intended not to touch the car until i got a few ideas from this site!

Pics below how she first looked when i got her..

20160325 091821
20160325 091812
20160325 091758

First thing first was to change that standard grille to a RS grille to give it more of an aggressive front end! Managed to source one from ebay and got work on a sunny weekend! This was within owning the car for just over a week! Used plastidip to paint the crash bar.

During:
20160325 125452
After:

Once the front end was improved - I couldn't help but notice the calipers that were crying for some TLC. Still shocks me that these can go so rusty. I used black smooth Hammerite to paint the calipers and I did buy some s-line stickers too but have left off for the time being.

Next small thing on the list was to de-badge the boot - removed the "A4", "2.0TDI" and "S line badges from the rear to give it a much cleaner look. I then purchased some black satin S line emblems for the sides of the B8 as I thought they would go better with the theme I was looking to achieve.

This week I tied two mods together which have helped change the look of the b8 massively. Booked in rear tints earlier in the week and went for 30% for all rear windows. Second mod was window trim, now I was the going to attempt to wrap the door window trims as ideally I like to do these sort of things myself but it seemed a bit out of my league - I'm a fussy sod and couldn't bare the bubbles it would cause. I had the trims booked in for a satin black wrap finish with TDTrims in Luton for £130 and they have done an awesome job. This is how the b8 currently sits as of tonight!

Next up:

Good detailing - hopefully able to give the b8 a full detail on bank holiday Monday - weather dependant!
Wheels - looking at rotors but so unsure - want darker wheels and love the rotor/rs4 flowers
De-chrome the fog rings - I was looking for some gloss black ones but to no avail.
Any Suggestions? (The back of my mind is suggesting lows with coils/springs but I am not too sure )

Thanks for looking guys

Attachments

• 20160417_144214.jpg
    20160417_144214.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 364
Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and Sandra
Nice progress so far. I'd personally loose the chrome round the front grill and fogs it'll (imo) tie in really well then with the rest being black.

Sent from my Note 4 using tapatalk

Yeah I agree the fogs are on my to do list! It would Tie up the front end more!

Chrome around the front grille? Do you mean the Audi rings?

Another question is to spray/wrap the lower part of the front bumper (grey part) but it does tie in with the the near diffuser although it is a grey colour hmm

Not the rings mate the edging of the grill. Almost like a black edition then. The red and black look very sporty together.

Reactions: Y90CBED
I've been thinking of blacking mine out but needed to see one, now I have seen your I'm leaving it as it is looks rubbish in black.

Just kidding looks great defo doing mine now I have seen it.

Reactions: Y90CBED and Zafi
Made some nice tweeks to the motor :)
Looking good

Looking good mate

The fog trim just pops off spray them up with some black or wrap them and stick them back on

I'd deff go for springs or coils will look much better

Cheers for the comments guys! Next job will be the fogs I think then to track down some rotors to stick on :) to finish the look off, I'm so glad tinted the windows/window trim together this week it has brought it more together.

Cheapest and most effective mod has to be them rusty calipers with a lick of paint!

Once the rotors/wheels are on I'll access the lows/coilovers situation. Although seeing pics like below of a members b8, this is swaying me to just do it!

Reactions: Chop., V6 Quatt and xpoweruk
I've just done my fog surrounds in black plastidip. Easy job, crack em of and 5 thin coats or so. Looks so much better than the chrome oem.
20160430 163345

Reactions: Chop. and Y90CBED
Johnny it looks so much better! you must have also read my mind also as I popped mine off this morning and done the same while I was cleaning the interior :blush:

Only been driving the car over a month so I'm happy with the small process so far lol.

One question I was going to ask, has anyone ever re-sprayed the "diffuser" before? Pic below of mine. Or is it a case of changing the part? If so anyone recommend any which are darker?

Reactions: GjrBartlett, johnny_584, Chop. and 2 others
Looks much better mate! Well done!
Not done it myself as planning a quad exit exhaust but my car is grey too so can kinda get away with thr standard colour. Gloss black would look great on yours though!

Reactions: Chop.
Excellent work. Looks much much better.

When I bought mine it came with a sprayed rear diffuser. Looks much better than the grey in my opinion! Sorry for the crappy pics...

Reactions: Y90CBED and Chop.
Thanks for posting the pics James, I've been struggling to find any pics of the S line diffuser which has been painted anywhere! It looks so much better! I think that's now going to be on my list of mods! Can I ask is it a gloss finish or satin finish? @JamesAa

Reactions: James.B8
maybe pop the grille section out and use some of that plastidip?
If you are anything like me you will have a fair bit left!

I'd colour it to match the finish you've done on the front.

Thanks for posting the pics James, I've been struggling to find any pics of the S line diffuser which has been painted anywhere! It looks so much better! I think that's now going to be on my list of mods! Can I ask is it a gloss finish or satin finish? @JamesAa
No worries! Just a gloss black finish. Matches the rs4 grill nicely

Cars looking good bud keep up the good work

Thank for your comments @chop - little changes here and there at the moment I think the big change will be the wheels eventually which is looking like a next month purchase!

I am although looking at removing the Diffuser to paint - I have recently seen your old thread Chop:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rear-diffuser-removal.248360/

Is this the same case with my diffuser regarding removal? - I am guessing they are exactly the same fitment although the diffuser is different.

On the subject of sprayed rear diffusers I had mine down a while back to match my RS4 grille, lower splitter, fog surrounds & mirror covers all done in gloss black.

Reactions: Meemo, Chop. and johnny_584
Johnny it looks so much better! you must have also read my mind also as I popped mine off this morning and done the same while I was cleaning the interior :blush:
View attachment 89910

Forgot to mention in my above post, Car looks epic in Red & Black

Could I ask where you got the Plastidip & is it expensive?

Cheers

Not probs mate. Decent stuff. You just go matt black?

Yeah, got the Matt black for the fog surrounds, tempted to get some red though for the underside of my mirrors to colour code in with my S5 calipers, what you think?

Yeah, got the Matt black for the fog surrounds, tempted to get some red though for the underside of my mirrors to colour code in with my S5 calipers, what you think?
I'm not a big fan of colour coding there tbh but different strokes and all that. Do think red on the lower centre bumper strip looks awesome. I'm going green calipers and strip on mine!

I'm not a big fan of colour coding there tbh but different strokes and all that. Do think red on the lower centre bumper strip looks awesome. I'm going green calipers and strip on mine!
End of the day it's easily done and can peel off if you don't like so why not

Thank for your comments @chop - little changes here and there at the moment I think the big change will be the wheels eventually which is looking like a next month purchase!

Is this the same case with my diffuser regarding removal? - I am guessing they are exactly the same fitment although the diffuser is different.

i would guess so mate but thats only a guess i'm new to audi so still just finding stuff out as i go :)

sounds fimiliar :) go for it mate i think its a good look

Reactions: GjrBartlett

It was reading 'Cuppa's' S5 build thread (Astonishing Car!) in the projects forum that first got me thinking about doing the underside of the mirrors in red to match my calipers.

I had my lower splitter done in Gloss Black a while back, but do agree it would look good in Red, I'll plasti-dip the 3 lower supports above the lower splitter when mine arrives.

Green, I'm looking forward to seeing that!!

sounds good mate it takes some balls to be a bit different

dam it i thought i was the first with the mirrorrs i'll need to go have a look now :)

sounds good mate it takes some balls to be a bit different

dam it i thought i was the first with the mirrorrs i'll need to go have a look now :)

Think he might have had you their mate! What a car though, the money he's spent £££

just had a look !

**** me what a machine, money and time hats off to that man indeed

Reactions: GjrBartlett
So this happened today, so glad I've done it. Thanks to the guys who posted pics above! I Was going to attempt to take off the diffuser but it felt like I'd need to snap the bumper in the process! So a load of newspaper later and this is the result! Next up is the front lip which is still grey below the RS grille .......

Reactions: Meemo, xpoweruk, ScottishA4B9 and 3 others
looking good.
Is it painted or dipped?