Newbie to A4 and problems already.

f1nny

Reaction score
Hi all,

I picked up my new A4 2.0 TFSI 190 yesterday after being a two time A1 owner and twice A3 (8V) owner and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the A4.

During the handover with the salemans yesterday I asked about the electric lumbar support as I've never had it on my previous Audis. Would you believe it it didn't/doesn't work on drivers side. It worked on the passenger side and even the salemans asked if he could try the drivers side to make sure it wasn't me doing it wrong. He agreed it wasn't working and said "sorry about that. We'll have to book it.

Also whilst at idle and driving the gear stick vibrates quite badly for my hand. You can even see the gear stick vibrate quite badly without my hand on. Has anyone got this vibration on there's ? Not sure if this could be a characteristic of the new 2.0 TFSI engine.

I'm stick happy with my A4 but I'm a little disappointed about having a fault before I even left the showroom and the vibration through the gear stick, I never had any vibrations with both my A1s and A3s.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Finny :)

Last edited:
Hey Finny. Sorry to hear your having troubles with your B9.

I haven't driven the manual TFSI, only the TDIs and I haven't found the manual gearstick in them vibrating.

The gearstick certainly doesn't vibrate in my B8 TFSI and I would have thought that it shouldn't vibrate in yours! Hope you get it sorted.

Oops, quality control slipping at the factory and those faults should have been discovered on the PDA as well....

I had a tdi as a courtesy car and was surprised the gear stick violently twitched when accelerating. It only had 2k on it. My 63 plate b8 with 51k doesn't move at all

Thats not exactly what the op stated though and on the one I drive the gear stick was fine. I can't see this being a feature of the a4 b9 as I doubt if audi would let it slip through to manufacture...

Thanks for the replies guys.

Car is booked into the dealers to get the lumbar support looked at. Have to wait a few weeks though as I can only drop my car off on Saturdays and I require a courtesy car during the week. I did mention to them about the gear stick and they said they'd take a look whilst it's in.

On the subject of the gear stick vibration. The more I drove it today the less bad it seemed. That's probably because I've got use to it.

Couple of things though. The vibration reminds me of the slight gear stick vibration I noticed when I first got my TDI A3 (8V) after driving my 1.2 TFSI A3 (8V). The higher compression ratio and fuel pressure must make the engine shake a little be more than the petrols engines. On looking at ELSAWin it appears the new 2.0 TFSI has a higher compression ratio when compared to previous 1.8 & 2.0 petrols engines. So again I assume this is why I'm feeling vibrations through gear stick similar to TDIs.

I'll ask the dealer when they evenutally get another 2.0 TFSI that they could check to see if that vibrates the same. There just doesn't seem to be many of the 2.0 TFSI about at the moment.

Finny

Coming from a Bora ( golf platform) I noticed my first B7 A4 vibrated more than the Bora. Although they were similar age 2.0 petrols. I put it down to longitudinal vs transverse engine mounting.

I soon got used to it. I pick up my new 2.0 Tfsi next week. I'll report back if it seems bad.

Reactions: f1nny
That would be great if you could.

Interesting point about the transverse and longitude engine mounting. The same engine is going to be in the facelift A3 so will be interesting to see if they get the same.

All high compression petrol engines these days have dual mass flywheel to help eliminate vibrations caused by them. Even my engine has one because of the high compression and there is no vibrations. As stated I have never noticed any vibration from the 190 tdi a4 I drove as a test...

Last edited:
Coming from a Bora ( golf platform) I noticed my first B7 A4 vibrated more than the Bora. Although they were similar age 2.0 petrols. I put it down to longitudinal vs transverse engine mounting.

I soon got used to it. I pick up my new 2.0 Tfsi next week. I'll report back if it seems bad.

Hope you're enjoying the new car mate. You getting any slight vibrations and movement through gearstick?

It's very smooth. Though it hadn't struck me that the new car is the first auto I ve ever owned. So there's less link between gear lever and the box itself. It's all fly by wire.

That said the 2.0 Tfsi is quiet and no vibration at idle. I sat in traffic for 10 minutes tonight and the only roughness was a judder when the stop start kicked in.

If you're near Hampshire send me a message.

Yea I find mine smooth also :) part from slight vibration in the gear stick. Got use to it now though Like you say the auto will not be linked directly like a manual. Will just have to keep an eye out for someone with a manual 2.0 TFSI ha.

I'm from up past Leeds. Nice one though mate

Me too because I want to drive one before I possibly buy, seems like they are a rare beast..

Tell me about it! The vast majority of B8's were manual but the B9's are nearly all auto!

I have the same thing with the lumbar. They replaced the fuse worked for a day or two then stopped again.

I had my lumber looked at the other week and would you believe it the connector hadn't been clipped on. The master technician at the dealership came out to the carpark so I could show him exactly what the problem was and he literally put his hand under the seat and went click. Job done. Hadn't even had chance to sign paperwork for the courtesy car they were going to give me.

Car is waiting to be booked in for a slight tear in the leather I noticed. Thankfully Audi UK have authorised the repair as hadn't noticed it until two weeks after picking it up.