Data sim

h1r4

Reaction score
Hi guys ,

Just want to know if any of you have got a data sim plan. I've been looking at the three ones which is 30quid for 12gb? , just want to know what you guys would recommend.

Thanks

I have set the navigation to use google maps so it's in constant use.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I'm guessing it'll last quite long. I reckon around 3 months which isn't bad imo , guess I'll be ordering one soon.

Any idea on the giffgaff ee any good?

Giff Gaff run on the O2 so it depends on the signal strength in your area as their coverage can be quite pants! EE have the most coverage in the UK and work well for my mobile so will give them a try for a data sim. I know they had good deals on lately!

Reactions: h1r4
I've got a giffgaff 1 month 1Gb sim in the car at the moment. In the last 2 weeks of owning the car I've used about 350mb (covering approx 700miles) but have only used the google maps view for approx 25 miles of that so appreciate that if you prefer that view, your usage will be higher than this.

I've got a 12Gb three sim waiting to replace it when it runs out though. Love Three's coverage.

My phone has is on a 20GB plan and I generally don't use a quarter of that each month so is there a way of using that while I'm in the car rather than splashing out for a new SIM?

@ScottishS3 Thanks for that. I couldn't seem to get the car to use my phone data when I had my test drive but I don't know if that was just because I didn't know how to do it... So if you plug in and use CarPlay you should be able to use phone data and get things like Google Earth on the Virtual Cockpit and things?

My phone has is on a 20GB plan and I generally don't use a quarter of that each month so is there a way of using that while I'm in the car rather than splashing out for a new SIM?

There is, via use of the wifi hotspot, I found these instructions on a TT forum and it worked for my iphone.

Menu > Settings > Connection manager > Scroll down to Data Connection > Options (the '+' symbol) using the right side option key or by pushing the touch wheel right > Wi-Fi settings > Wi-Fi mode - select 'hotspot and client'. Now back out to the Connection manager screen. Activate the personal hotspot on your phone (you may need to keep the personal hotspot settings screen open on your phone to keep it active - it may timeout very quickly), scroll down to Data connection and click on it and in the drop-down list, select your phone.

There is, via use of the wifi hotspot, I found these instructions on a TT forum and it worked for my iphone.

Menu > Settings > Connection manager > Scroll down to Data Connection > Options (the '+' symbol) using the right side option key or by pushing the touch wheel right > Wi-Fi settings > Wi-Fi mode - select 'hotspot and client'. Now back out to the Connection manager screen. Activate the personal hotspot on your phone (you may need to keep the personal hotspot settings screen open on your phone to keep it active - it may timeout very quickly), scroll down to Data connection and click on it and in the drop-down list, select your phone.

Awesome, thanks for that reply! I'll have to try this when I finally get my car ordered or if I go for another test drive when the S4's start to come in... :)

The WiFi option would be much better for me because a lot of the time I don't like to lug my phone in. That said, if you have to set up a new hotspot each time it might be quicker just to plug it in. We'll just have to see.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: StevoGuide7
Yeah I've used the CarPlay option but you have to plug your phone in to use it. You can use google maps and safari maps. Wifi would be better admittedly.

When you plug in for carplay it shuts off bluetooth to the MMI so it may do the same to wifi.

I personally prefer carplay as the voice commands using siri are excellent. From the steering wheel you can select the music you want, make a call by name, send a text, receive texts. I know you can do some of this using MMI it far less intuitive.
Although it a hassle plugging it in I feel its worth the benefit.

Yeah I've used the CarPlay option but you have to plug your phone in to use it. You can use google maps and safari maps. Wifi would be better admittedly.

You can't use google maps on carplay but you can configure the MMI to use google maps, you are restricted to apple maps on carplay.

When you plug in for carplay it shuts off bluetooth to the MMI so it may do the same to wifi.

I personally prefer carplay as the voice commands using siri are excellent. From the steering wheel you can select the music you want, make a call by name, send a text, receive texts. I know you can do some of this using MMI it far less intuitive.

Do you have Audi Connect and does it then let you use Google Maps within the navigation if you do this? That's what I'm mainly wondering about to be honest! :)

Yes, Audi Connect lets you use Google Maps satellite imagery in the navigation.

When connected via wifi my phone is also available via the bluetooth link.

Have to say I'm not sure either, I will have a play in a bit and see what happens.

I was a little disappointed with the implementation of car play when I first used it as I regularly have both my work phone and personal phone connected via wire/Bluetooth. When you connect one via car play, it disables the second phone being connected via Bluetooth.

Does anyone know if you can still connect both phones via a cable (and operate both) if one is connected as the car play phone? I've not tested this config yet, but would be interested to know if possible.

The cheapest EE Data Sim is £16.65pm with a free tablet and 10GB data.

They offered me a brand new iPad Mini 4 with 10GB data for £28pm.

I have 10GB data on my phone but don't use it all. I really want to be able to use the google maps on my virtual cockpit so I need to get a data sim ordered ASAP.

Lots of good discussion about it, I imagine there will be some definite answers once people have had a play. :)

Does anyone know what size SIM the car accepts?

I believe it is standard, however if you buy from, say, O2, then the sims card will fit any size by pressing it out...

Reactions: Daggerit
Lots of good discussion about it, I imagine there will be some definite answers once people have had a play. :)

Does anyone know what size SIM the car accepts?

Standard SIM size slot in the car

Reactions: Daggerit
Looks like you can use the wifi hotspot for audi connect and still plug in and connect to carplay which is handy but the downside would be that presumably leaving hotspot on all the time will kill the phone battery.

For the time being I am going to stick with the sim I have and then see.

OK, just established that you can be connected to audi connect via wifi hotspot on your phone and maintain the apple carplay link. It all works fairly seamlessly! (although the phone still needs to be plugged in)

Last edited:
Might go down the wifi route once my 12 month payg 3 sim runs out. I refuse to shell out 8 quid a month so I can share the data I have on my phone contract with the car on EE

What sims plans / networks / monthly costs have people went with then?

I want to be able to use google maps on my virtual cockpit when I get it.

I'm going into town to get the 3 12gb sim today

I used to be on three network but changed to ee as they were so much cheaper when I wanted to get a new phone. But I found the 4g on three was much better than ee's

@h1r4 Is that a pay monthly Sim with Three? What's the monthly data and cost?

I'm with EE for my phone and there coverage is spot on! I've been with Three before and found it wasn't as good.

I phoned EE but they are trying to sell me the tablet and SIM card when all I want is the SIM card.

I just don't know much much data the google maps would use, that's the problem.

@h1r4 Is that a pay monthly Sim with Three? What's the monthly data and cost?

I'm with EE for my phone and there coverage is spot on! I've been with Three before and found it wasn't as good.

I phoned EE but they are trying to sell me the tablet and SIM card when all I want is the SIM card.

I just don't know much much data the google maps would use, that's the problem.
We'll it's 30 quid for 12gb , it's not a monthly contract. I guess it just gets topped up when needed?

It's 12gb for 12 months. If you use up the 12gb before 12 months you'll need to top up, if you don't use up all the 12gb before 12 months the remaining data is gone

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and h1r4
I got mine just now. It's getting better signal than my phone. And yes as above what a4b9 said!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Has anyone who has got a 3 SIM card, checked to see if they can get it to work the wifi hotspot and have any issues with using it, and can you get an iPhone for example to use the wifi hotspot for wifi calling?

Reason for asking is to see I can use it the sim in the car to allow my phone in France this year to dial home and Internet?

The last time I was on the continent my ee iPhone never showed up as wifi call in the information bar and instead just stuck with the roaming provider even when connected to a hotspot. I sense it was a deliberate ploy otherwise you can't be charged for using your phone abroad