Another B&O/iPhone 6/ MMI Thread. Sorry!

41YN

Reaction score
Really sorry folks, I ask for forgiveness as I am not as clued up as most of you are, and I have a problem.

I have an 2016 S3, with B&O, and an iPhone 6. What do I need connection-wise to get the best out of the B&O? I have trawled through here, and have been blinded by science (yellow collar,red collar etc). Or is an SD card better?

Please give me replies in simplistic, layman's terms :relaxed:

Really sorry folks, I ask for forgiveness as I am not as clued up as most of you are, and I have a problem.

I have an 2016 S3, with B&O, and an iPhone 6. What do I need connection-wise to get the best out of the B&O? I have trawled through here, and have been blinded by science (yellow collar,red collar etc). Or is an SD card better?

Please give me replies in simplistic, layman's terms :relaxed:

You should have got the cables you needed with the car mate?

......but just ditch the fookers and go SD or USB slap it in and yer done. Dunno why anyone would want to ponce about connecting their phone.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Max-Robbo and 3 others
LoL I'm fully converted to SD cards - have 2 128Gb cards in mine. Never used it with an iPhone but compared to my iPod the SD card has larger capacity, is faster, has better search facilities and always plays from where it last left off.

Reactions: Jarvo, pburv and Simon L
LoL I'm fully converted to SD cards - have 2 128Gb cards in mine. Never used it with an iPhone but compared to my iPod the SD card has larger capacity, is faster, has better search facilities and always plays from where it last left off.

Beautifully put Rob lol

2 x 128gb WTF?? Has val doonican done that many tracks mate?

Reactions: James_TDi, pburv, glospete and 3 others
You should have got the cables you needed with the car mate?

......but just ditch the fookers and go SD or USB slap it in and yer done. Dunno why anyone would want to ponce about connecting their phone.

No, no cables whatsoever with it. I asked the salesman about it when I was ordering the car and he told me everyone asked him about them (iPhone 6 cables that is) and that Audi didn't make them yet. Me being (obviously) gullible, I believed him. But I have looked on the Audi parts website and can't find a part number for one, so maybe he was right?

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Last week my A3 came with a Lightning connector with a yellow collar and it works fine with a late model iPod. touch. Same cable should work with an iPhone 6. Only thing it won't do is allow Shuffle play, but does display album artwork. You should definitely have had the cable supplied. My dealer asked if I wanted the 30-pin or Lightning connector with the new car - pretty common knowledge I would have thought.
Edit: just been out to the car and connected my iPhone 6 to the cable and music plays with album artwork.

Last edited:
Beautifully put Rob lol

2 x 128gb WTF?? Has val doonican done that many tracks mate?

Val digitally remastered on one and the other is split with Downtown Abbey and Heartbeat videos ;o)

Reactions: pburv, Brasso, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Can't be beat the old Compact Disc... Best source... Been listening to some chill out Mod album's and they sound extremely pleasant lol

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Can't be beat the old Compact Disc... Best source... Been listening to some chill out Mod album's and they sound extremely pleasant lol

Any Jam tracks mate? Brilliant band, saw them in 1981 first gig I ever went to lol

Must admit I dont really use the CD in the car, mainly because I came from a motor that only had CD and the friggin car was rammed with the ****** things! Should do though, they do sound a lot better than MP3

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Ditto mate...tunes are night and day in terms of clarity cd has still got some life left in it, as far sound quality goes

Ditto mate...tunes are night and day in terms of clarity cd has still got some life left in it, as far sound quality goes

Think the Jamiroquai CD is still in mine from collection day, put it in for the missus! *****, arrogant little **** but ****** talented lol

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Think the Jamiroquai CD is still in mine from collection day, put it in for the missus! *****, arrogant little **** but ****** talented lol

Awesome produced sounds/albums from the wee ***** merchant banker he is,talented though but poor taste in bonnets

Don't do yourself down like that Simon. I don't think you're little.

I see what you did there mate, very naughty..........lol

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
No, no cables whatsoever with it. I asked the salesman about it when I was ordering the car and he told me everyone asked him about them (iPhone 6 cables that is) and that Audi didn't make them yet. Me being (obviously) gullible, I believed him. But I have looked on the Audi parts website and can't find a part number for one, so maybe he was right?
Tight s%ds didn't want to give you a cable! The Lightning connector has been available for ages. I was asked which cables I wanted and got old Apple, mini usb and full size usb cables.
Mind you, I pretty much never use them except the mini usb for charging my phone. SD card is the way to go.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Brasso and 1 other person
As said above @41YN
Your car should have came with this set below that I sell on eBay. Ask dealer for them and don't mention iPhone 6. Just say why didn't car have them.

If you don't get them from dealer I seller a discounted price. Rrp £56

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/322081344352

Audi iPhone 5 6 MMI AMI Cable & USB Cable Set 4F0051510AM 4F0051510AL

Reactions: 41YN
Val digitally remastered on one and the other is split with Downtown Abbey and Heartbeat videos ;o)
Ba Boom! Good come back Rob...As you can tell I'm just catching up with this thread...lol:friends:

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Thinking of getting this retro fitted in my car..
Upload 2016 5 10 18 29 9
:whistle2:

Reactions: ruairi83, Simon L, jungle650 and 2 others
Yellow cable as mentioned above. I use my iPhone all the time but I do find the MMI to crash, not keep up or not recognise the phone on a more regular basis that I find comfortable. I'd try sticking to an SD card - I'm currently in the process of switching over

Thanks to the advice from this thread, I have contacted my dealer and the salesman apologised, saying that I should have had one with the car (a cable that is). I have collected it today (although it isn't working with my phone, but picks my son's up straight away)

So thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. Without your advice guys, I would have forked out unnecessarily for a cable.

Cheers.

(I also transferred by iTunes library to an SD card, or rather my daughter did it for me, but I don't think it has been done correctly as there is no album art. Sorting that out into folders looks like it is going to be a task and a half!! But hey-ho.)

Are there any music recordings which take advantage of 5.1 channels?
I'm guessing originally 5.1 channel recordings would were only available on DVD-audio or SACD which are not supported on MMI .

I remember listening to a DJ on a national radio station talking about the way his jingles were recorded gave the impression of surround sound mix in his friend's car from a stereo FM broadcast.

DVD audio is supported on my S3 - I have 5 I regularly use incl Eagles, Queen and Dire Straits.

A warning to iOS users, ver 9.3.2 can cause issues with BT control on the Audi MMI so stay with iOS 9.3.1.

Reactions: XPOWER
(I also transferred by iTunes library to an SD card, or rather my daughter did it for me, but I don't think it has been done correctly as there is no album art. Sorting that out into folders looks like it is going to be a task and a half!! But hey-ho.)
Other threads have reported patchy or no album art when copying from itunes. Just download the mp3tag app onto the PC (free s/w)
It's pretty good and embeds album art one folder at a time. Not too irksome.

Reactions: 41YN
I did an update to 9.3.3 beta - going to try it out later today. Fingers crossed. So far, the beta is looking good. No issues after a few hours of intensive use.

Have read on other forums that 9.3.2 has also messed up car connectivity in Ford, Toyota, Hyundai and Mazda.

Edit - nope, still the same. No media navigation of bt connected device. Streams audio ok and you can forward and back but that's it.

Last edited:
Just checked and I'm already running 9.3.2 on my 6S. Damn.

No issues at all on the A8 MMI though.

DVD audio is supported on my S3 - I have 5 I regularly use incl Eagles, Queen and Dire Straits..

How does the multi channel music sound in a car on DVD-Audio?
Is it worth investing in some DVD-Audio albums just to here them with multi channel audio?

Radio 3 have previously had multi channel internet radio stream of some concerts which seems be suited to having a 4 channel mix.

As a test I bought Vivaldi's Four Seasons on DVD Audio with a 5.1 channel production.

Listening to my usual music choice of boom-boom trashy 90s dance music didn't really take advantage of the sound system.
I did start to question if the cost of upgrading from the standard Audi sound system was worth the money.

I have to say the sound quality is excellent and well worth investing in the DVD just to try out what the Bang & Olufsen sound system is capable of.

Comparing that with a standard two channel music playing from my iPod is completely different experience and not just because the music type is a lot better.

It's a shame there isn't more variety of DVD Audio music being produced to make the format popular.

How does the multi channel music sound in a car on DVD-Audio?
Is it worth investing in some DVD-Audio albums just to here them with multi channel audio?

Radio 3 have previously had multi channel internet radio stream of some concerts which seems be suited to having a 4 channel mix.

DVD-audio is very good in the S3 on B&O system.

I also really like playing 5.1 movies on it - great quality

I've got a dozen or so DVD-audios (Eagles, Queen, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd etc), I've also done a few 5.1 extracts from soundtracks and put them onto SD cards.

However, I've found FLAC stereo files far superior to MP3 (320k) but I know some say they couldn't pick the difference on their cars.

There also seems to be some differences between cars as two demos we drove wouldn't play FLAC.