Front Wheel Bearing

wjam29

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone changed a front wheel bearing on a 1.9Tdi 2008 Sportsback? I noticed the other day a grumbling coming from the front drivers wheel at about 20mph. I get the noise whilst in drive or coasting so can only assume it's that.

I have read it's easier to change the whole hub assembly and have seen a few documents and videos on how to do it. Was wondering if there are any pitfalls I may encounter doing it on my drive?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Will.

Hi,

Decided to have a look under my car and I have found the following:-

The play at the gearbox end seems to sound like the noise I have been hearing in the cabin.

Any ideas? Sounds expensive to me.

Many Thanks

Will.

Any ideas anyone?

There is a fair amount of oil around the casing and cv joint, looks like it's come from the diff seal.

Hi,

Any ideas on the correct course of action to determine what's causing it? Drive shaft out? Should there be that's amount of play in the diff? The video was taken with only one side of the car of the ground.

Initially thought it was the wheel bearing but the noise doesn't get louder on turning the steering wheel and seems to come on after driving across rough road and does sound like a bearing with some balls missing.

CV boot looked intact but there is some oil splatter around the area.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Will.

After viewing your clip several times, it does look like excessive play in the diff output shaft or the bearing within the case. Sounds like an expensive repair bill as well. Try a local VAG indie if it's outside your scope.