cooling fans issue

s11nny

Reaction score
hi, have noticed the past couple of days on the way back from work. when turning my engine of the fans will stay spinning for about a couple of mins, its both fans. car is a 2009 1.8t. is this normal, or is there a issue,

Had this before on another car, the fans would stay running as a safety measure when the thermostat failed.

Is your temp gauge working?

Temp guage is working properly.

Then I'd just say keep an eye on it, don't forget it has been hotter weather the last few days (in the midlands anyway lol) so naturally the engine will be exposed to higher temps, if it still does it when the weather is a bit cooler then I'd get it looked at, but if not I wouldn't worry mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the reply shall keep an eye on it and get it checked if it happens in cooler weather

It's perfectly normal for this to happen as the engine actually gets hotter for a while after its switched off. the ecu requests the fans to continue operate for a few mins to prevent this excess heat to protect the engine.
However I've got a 3.2 Quattro with twin fans that went kaput by staying on continually draining the battery. I had to replace both fans to cure prob.

thanks for the replies, its not doing this in the cooler weather we had these past few days, so im guessing its just the heat, mine go off after a couple of mins so no chance of battery drain