Brake pad with more bite

JM-S4

Reaction score
I'm not impressed with the OEM pads, I want something with more bite, was thinking of Ferodo DS2500 or EBC yellow stuff.

Just after opinions or better suggestions.

Both will give you better bite but both are high brake dust pads and the wheels get filthy in no time .

I've had them both .

Better bite and low dust , choose a ceramic marketed pad .

Both will give you better bite but both are high brake dust pads and the wheels get filthy in no time .

I've had them both .

Better bite and low dust , choose a ceramic marketed pad .

Not really worried about dust to be honest, just after better performance.

After additional research I see the DS2500's aren't road legal or have wear sensors so looks like I'll go for the yellow stuff.

Redstuff is better performance .

I swapped Yellow for Red .

Same road performance , just less dust .

Are they intended for road use?
Be careful about going to 'racy', there's always a compromise with brake pad friction material,

There is no perfect friction material (no matter what the marketing BS tells you) which performs well cold/hot with no noise, low wear/dust etc.
I normally find OE pads have a good compromise on performance, noise and wear. Are your brakes working correctly/serviced recently? Not binding/worn etc?

If you go for a pad with a higher friction coefficient 'more bite' you may find it will be either worse/lower friction coefficient when cold (dangerous for a road use), more noisy and wears more (both pad and disc) or all three!

Whatever pad you go for it must be ECE R90 compliant to be legally used on the road.

Also I presume you're just thinking about your front brakes? If you fit higher friction front pads and leave the rears you can upset the braking balance of the car.

A good cheap upgrade would be to fit stainless steel braided brake hoses, these have less expansion than standard hoses so give a firmer pedal for better brake modulation.

Ceramic pads still produce dust, it's just that the dust is lighter so less visible.

Tom.

Redstuff are R90 .

Oe when cold and much above oe when warm/hot .

I always do front and rear and front and rear braided brake hoses .

The ceramic content percentage isn't high and the brake dust whether a lighter colour or not is minimal .

I've been recommended Pagid RS29 by a friend, can't seem to find a figment for the B6 though.