Audi A6 twin 12" stealth sub install

KristoffV6

Reaction score
I thought some members might be interested that I've finally managed to do this. Thanks to the help of K&M Acoustics in Wigan, the "fibre optic MOST battle for signal" that has raged for months is now over and I have emerged victorious.

Thanks to a custom optical module supplied, fitted and programmed by K&M, I now have multiple high quality aux in's (ipod/USB/SD/3.5../Bluetooth) and full range outputs for my Audio Control LC2i that feeds my new LW1.1600 amp and B2 12" subs. All the factory beeps and bongs work as does my parrot hands free kit.

What a mission, but got there in the end, the SQ is nice, and the SPL is brutal! Fortunately I have a dash mounted amp level control so I can keep the subs in check for normal listening.....

I built the install, K&M plugged it all in and got it sounding good.

Short video of subs doing their thing.... Camera mic can't handle the SPL at all!

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/kachris/Mobile Uploads/trim.43B43893-15D4-4F6C-9290-7566F3E9A388_zps4rjmxzol.mp4

Yeah I love the interior.

Reactions: MarkWizard
I would be extremely interested in the MOST fibre adapter! How much and how can I get one? I have built myself a single JL Audio 12" for the boot of my C6 (thread here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...with-my-own-plans-for-c6.259900/#post-2680333 ).
But I'm extremely disappointed by the response and SPL because of the horrible filter that Bose have applied to the only output I could find. I have plotted the frequency response of the filter, its in the thread if you are interested.
Your build looks awesome BTW! Nice work!
Cheers.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know the exact details of the fibre optic module. K&M have exercised almost NSA levels of security about what it is, who makes it and how it works. It's buried somewhere behind the dash. What I can tell you is that it does work. It somehow fools the cars standard system into thinking that any input connected to my parrot MK9200i is the priority signal and no matter if I am playing a CD, listening to the radio or receiving instructions from the Sat Nav. If I play a track via the USB/ipod/Memorycard of 3.5mm adapter, the car puts that signal as priority one and plays it though the standard system. All the standard in built eq's work and I can fade front to back and right to left etc... If I stop the input source, it goes right back to whatever factory source was playing before.

They have also somehow managed to get a full range signal out that is feeding an audiocontrol LC2i. This is included as a high quality high range to low range (phono) converter, and to counteract the fact that the audi system eq's out the bass as the volume is turned up. There is no way around that problem, but what I do know is that my subs are getting a full range signal. I have scope'd it using white noise and test tones in 10hz stages, and at normal volumes its virtually flat. Crank the system up to about 75% and it starts to drop off from 100hz or so down, but the LC2i brings it back automatically.

All in all, I'm well happy.

K&M took 3 days to program, and they said it was a total ba**tard, but it's done. The cost to supply the module and wire the whole install up was £500. I was at the point that I didn't care that I didn't understand what they were doing, I just wanted it all working after being let down by more than one local installer.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply! Sounds like I need to get in contact K&M and speak to them about what they can do for me! I'm surprised you have got the parrot to work well. I had one and it didn't work at all with Bose, so I sold it.
I've since had a Dension GW500S BT, which I returned for a refund, and now I have a genuine AMI unit with a Tune2Air, which I'm pretty happy with.
The LC2i looks like a good option for an EQ and signal control device, I was thinking of using a MiniDSP as they are pretty cheap and fully programmable in terms of filters/EQs.
At the moment I have a JL audio JX250/1 powering the 12", so that side of things is sorted. Once I have a nice clean signal it will be ace!
Thanks again for the info mate! Great to see other C6 owners pushing the boat out a bit with audio!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk