Camshaft position sensor (G40 Hall sensor) replacement A6 2.0 BRE rough running

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have posted this else where (my apologies) but trying to get a bit of help with replacing the camshaft sensor.

My A6 2.0 tdi BRE manual gbox, hesitates and the revs often jump between 1000 - 2000 revs, it mainly happens under light acceleration and down changes at roundabouts etc. I almost feels like it is going to stall as it splutters for a second.

I initially though it could be these items via reading up on it:
EGR clogged or failed
DMFlywheel failing
Mass airflow sensor fault
Tandem pump issue

However today I got VCDS on and it is showing many error for the last few months on the camshaft position sensor fault P3007 012295.

So I thought easy enough replace it out, clear the fault and go from there. However it seems it may be a timing belt off job to remove the sensor can anyone confirm this or has someone done the job without taking the belt & a pulley off.

The plug and wire for the sensor pass through a grommet in the rear timing belt cover but with the pulley on I'm not sure the plug on the cable end will pass through. Can I cut the plug off to remove and do the same on the new plug and the resolder the wires!!

Any help appreciated!

Don't think you will get a response the user has not been back on the forum since may 2016..