Ordering an A3

JKC93

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the forum and I will be ordering my first Audi soon.

I am interested in the newly updated A3 model, and I am in the process of deciding on a specification and options. Could some of the more informed/experienced users help me with my decision by answering the following.

- [ ] Order a car with as large/powerful engine I can afford (e.g. Sport trim with 2.0 TFSI 6 - speed).
- [ ] Order a car with a less powerful engine at a higher trim level (e.g. S-Line trim with 1.4 TFSI COD - 6 speed).
- [ ] Order a less powerful engine with a middle trim level with some optional extras (e.g Sport trim with 1.4 TFSI COD - 6 speed, with some options)

I ask based on the above to remain within my budget, and I would like to know the pros and cons of each, and your own choices.

Thanks.

Only you can decide what power you want. But in the case of the A3, if you haven't test driven yet, be sure to try out the 1.4 tfsi COD engine. You will be pleasantly surprised! It's got the poke of a 2.0 litre from a few years ago.

As far as trim and options are concerned, again it depends on your priorities.
But be sure to get a brochure and study it carefully. Pay particular attention to option packs (like the Comfort pack - which many on here favour). They are often the best and cheapest way to get a range of useful options. Also the brochure will tell you the exact difference between the different trim levels.

I find it surprising the number of people on here who ask questions, or who have made mistakes, when they haven't even looked at a brochure!

Then - don't forget - once you have placed your order it's almost mandatory to change the spec and make the dealer earn his commission :whistle2:

Reactions: glospete, Sandra and pburv
Hi everyone,

I'm a newcomer to the forum and I will be ordering my first Audi soon.

I am interested in the newly updated A3 model, and I am in the process of deciding on a specification and options. Could some of the more informed/experienced users help me with my decision by answering the following.

- [ ] Order a car with as large/powerful engine I can afford (e.g. Sport trim with 2.0 TFSI 6 - speed).
- [ ] Order a car with a less powerful engine at a higher trim level (e.g. S-Line trim with 1.4 TFSI COD - 6 speed).
- [ ] Order a less powerful engine with a middle trim level with some optional extras (e.g Sport trim with 1.4 TFSI COD - 6 speed, with some options)

I ask based on the above to remain within my budget, and I would like to know the pros and cons of each, and your own choices.

Thanks.
Welcome to audi-sport.net. When it comes to spec on a car, it comes down to what your personal taste and requirements are. Budget is important. Set a budget to start off with. Use places like carwow when you have rough idea what you want and get prices from various dealers. Its the best way to get more options for your money. Enjoy the forum. :)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Agree with RichardT, I have a 1.4 COD and its superb - same power as my old Golf GTI 1.8T, 25% more torque so better driveability, and I regularly get 50 miles per gallon on my 50 mile commute. Also extremely refined engine - smooth and very quiet. I'd go for that engine again and spend the money saved on the options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: glospete
+1 for the 1.4 COD. I came from a 2 litre A4 TDI and find this engine has the same sort of power but far smoother. I get the 2 cylinder mode come in at 70-80 on cruise and with very similar mileage to what I used to get in the A4. The 150 bhp 1.4 gives a little more power than the standard 1.4 but it depends on budget and what options you want or is most important to you.

I'm leaning towards the 1.4 COD. The fuel economy sounds really good from what I've heard. If I'm being honest I'm sure 150ps is ideal for what I'll use it for.

Has anyone specified the Alcantara seats?

I plan on seeing my local dealer soon and getting a feel for what some of these options are like in person as well as colours! Colour will be the hardest decision

Welcome to the forum.
As others hsve said there are many variables and speccing is part of the fun.
How i did it was to choose the car , then negotiated a discount and used it for the options.
I have alcantara / leather ( s3) and love it. Mine is lunar silver.
Some of the options are pricey imo , but others are well worth it. Think the ILP is a bargain , and comfort paxk is a good option. The *** is also value.have fun

Welcome to the forum.
As others hsve said there are many variables and speccing is part of the fun.
How i did it was to choose the car , then negotiated a discount and used it for the options.
I have alcantara / leather ( s3) and love it. Mine is lunar silver.
Some of the options are pricey imo , but others are well worth it. Think the ILP is a bargain , and comfort paxk is a good option. The *** is also value.have fun

I do fancy the alcantara upgrade, I think I can justify that one! I'm out to see some examples of the pre facelift cars this weekend. Hopefully I'll see a colour I like and see some examples of options in person.

Only you can decide what power you want. But in the case of the A3, if you haven't test driven yet, be sure to try out the 1.4 tfsi COD engine. You will be pleasantly surprised! It's got the poke of a 2.0 litre from a few years ago.

As far as trim and options are concerned, again it depends on your priorities.
But be sure to get a brochure and study it carefully. Pay particular attention to option packs (like the Comfort pack - which many on here favour). They are often the best and cheapest way to get a range of useful options. Also the brochure will tell you the exact difference between the different trim levels.

I find it surprising the number of people on here who ask questions, or who have made mistakes, when they haven't even looked at a brochure!

Then - don't forget - once you have placed your order it's almost mandatory to change the spec and make the dealer earn his commission :whistle2:
Useful response, cheers!

If you do a high annual mileage and spend a lot of time on motorways, don't discount the diesel engines.

If you do a high annual mileage and spend a lot of time on motorways, don't discount the diesel engines.
I do approximately 8000 miles per year so not quite enough to spend the extra. Cheers though!