A3 FL or A4?

cppp

Reaction score
Heya! so I just speced up the new A3 saloon 1.4 sline and it came to around 33k and I also speced up the A4 2.0 sline and came up to 35.5k.

A3 has a deposit contribution of £750 and the A4 £2500, so wouldn't it be better to just go for the A4? :O

am I missing something here?

I like the new A4's interior,it is far better than the A3"s...so it should be though,it's a class above,car of the year etc,it's not as defined in the looks department as the A3 sedan,but it's a very worthy contender for the A3 sedan

Reactions: Scottyg
was also thinking the same, hands down the A4's interior is soo much better, the A3 kinda feels like my A1

13385e5b-055e-4282-bcc2-f838a71fce00.jpg

Reactions: Chris5, pburv, Rob2k68 and 2 others
was also thinking the same, hands down the A4's interior is soo much better, the A3 kinda feels like my A1

13385e5b-055e-4282-bcc2-f838a71fce00.jpg
I was in the A4 sport....demo no extras bar larger wheels it was a fine car indeed,extremely quiet inside,the interior light package is a touch of class

Reactions: cppp
Heya! so I just speced up the new A3 saloon 1.4 sline and it came to around 33k and I also speced up the A4 2.0 sline and came up to 35.5k.

A3 has a deposit contribution of £750 and the A4 £2500, so wouldn't it be better to just go for the A4? :O

The A4 has a better interior.

The A3 is more fun to drive.

Different class...different audience.

Reactions: TDI-line and Scottyg
Interesting thread. Being reminded how much nicer the A4 interior is has only increased my feeling of being underwhelmed by the A3 facelift.

A4 interior has the nasty stuck on tablet a-la Mercedes.
A3 rising screen is so much nicer.
Both have the same quality feel, A4 perhaps edges it because of the alloy/wooden dash options.

Both have the same quality feel, A4 perhaps edges it because of the alloy/wooden dash options.
Funny - the rising screen is about the only thing I don't really like! I would much prefer it embedded in the dash like most other cars!!

Yes, but the A4 looks like a much more modern design.

The dashboard screen is nowhere as cheap looking as the Mercedes screen, the climate controls are all touch sensitive,it's a work of art,the A3's interior as nice as it has some cheap looking plastics especially them chrome rings around the vents,the S3's dashboard binnacle ain't a patch on the A4 's it's far more pleasant to look at especially at night,the interior sound insulation on the A4 would put a S class to shame,you could hear a mouse fart in it....lol the A3/S3 cabins sound insulation is gash.... Etc etc

Reactions: Rob2k68
Even though I said the A4 has better interior, I only meant the material use. I find the A3 design (including the screen of course) to be better.

You can't toss the A4 around like you can in the A3. They are 2 different vehicles, just test drive both and decide for yourself.

Reactions: Scottyg and pburv
The a4 is better value for money, discount can be had of up 16% making them cheaper than the equivalent a3. The ride is just as good as the a3, although the a4 I test drove it was harder, and, compared to the b8's barge like handling, it is very refined. If you can live with the bigger size the I suggest going for it. I'm going for a test drive of a 2.0l tfsi on wednesday, although they only have a avant and I am really hoping it has a manual gearbox. But I did have a 2.0l tdi 150ps sline saloon for a day in february and the interior was a improvement over my a3, but then that's only to be expected on that class of car.
As suggested, test drive one for yourself...

That pic of the A4 interior does indeed look stunning.

Will size requirements not dictate the answer ?

How do the interior/exterior/stowage dimensions/capacity compare ?

A lot comes as standard! I just got this quote:

Screenshot www orangewheels co uk 2016 05 29 11 33 57

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
A4 is a big car though, as poster above says it won't be as nimble as an A3.

TX.

Reactions: pburv, Scottyg, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
I've got both on a 24hr test back to back tdi stronic , big discount on a4 , will let you have my 2cents on Wed night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also got this quote from DTD
all specced up, tech pack, matrix light,driver asstistance pack. and yeah a lot of things comes as standard such as the keyless go

screenshot_15-jpg.92550

I've had my a4 for 3 weeks now , I must say it's brilliant! Interior quality and refinement is amazing. I thought my previous a3 8v was good but this is so much better!

Handling and driving wise I find the a4 better (probably becuase of the quattro ) , but if my a4 was fwd I reckon my a3 was better.

I only have one problem with the a4 and that's the centre speaker rattling in the B&O sound system , which is quite annoying! Other than that it's a really really good car

On a side note:
My a3 8v was a 1.6tdi s line
And my a4 is a 2.0tdi quattro s line ( with a load of options )
So a bit of a difference between the two

I have a S3 and it ain't no fun to drive
You seem to be shitting hard on the 8V.

But I'm sum up your grievances in one sentence that should easily make up an undecided buyer's decision between the A3/S3 vs A4/S4.

Torsen Quattro All-Wheel Drive.

When I got my A3 in 2014, it was clearly the better choice over the dinosaur looking B8 A4 that had another year left.

But today between the FL A3 and the B9 A4, I'd probably go with the B9 A4, especially if we're talking the European A4. It's gets a 252 HP 2.0T , the A3 gets a measly 184HP engine in Europe. That ain't power.

I'm disappointed Audi didn't do anything to the US 2.0T A3 and S3. They should have gave us engine bumps 252 HP for the 2.0T A3 and 310HP for the 2.0T S3.

Also calling the 1.8T a 2.0T is only going to confuse people.

FL A3 is going to slum sell now with the better offerings in the B9 A4.

Maybe that's AudiUSA's plan.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to the B9 A5 Sportback.

You seem to be shitting hard on the 8V.

But I'm sum up your grievances in one sentence that should easily make up an undecided buyer's decision between the A3/S3 vs A4/S4.

Torsen Quattro All-Wheel Drive.

When I got my A3 in 2014, it was clearly the better choice over the dinosaur looking B8 A4 that had another year left.

But today between the FL A3 and the B9 A4, I'd probably go with the B9 A4, especially if we're talking the European A4. It's gets a 252 HP 2.0T , the A3 gets a measly 184HP engine in Europe. That ain't power.

I'm disappointed Audi didn't do anything to the US 2.0T A3 and S3. They should have gave us engine bumps 252 HP for the 2.0T A3 and 310HP for the 2.0T S3.

Also calling the 1.8T a 2.0T is only going to confuse people.

FL A3 is going to slum sell now with the better offerings in the B9 A4.

Maybe that's AudiUSA's plan.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to the B9 A5 Sportback.

Them magic mushrooms have well kicked in....lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Having been upwards of the A4 class in two 5 series I prefer the handling of the smaller hatches I've had since. Some with bigger and more powerful engines and some smaller like what I'm in just now. As a few have said, it all depends on the space you need. The discounts are crazy good on the A4. Pity they didn't bring the centre console from this, albeit on a smaller scale to the A3 FL. It really looks a cracking interior. I'm 20 months away from changing so will see what's around deal wise come then.

Reactions: glospete, Rob2k68 and pburv
well wouldn't you love your 8V more if it had Torsen Quattro and not Haldex?
It wouldn't make any difference to me mate, real full wheel drive is something l don't need even in bonnie Scotland

It wouldn't make any difference to me mate, real full wheel drive is something l don't need even in bonnie Scotland
Then what on earth are you complaining about the drive ability of your S3 if it's not the slipping drive train? Did you take those magic mushrooms?

Then what on earth are you complaining about the drive ability of your S3 if it's not the slipping drive train? Did you take those magic mushrooms?

When o when do you ever drive on roads with corners bends undulating Road surfaces etc...complaining Bro? Comeback to me when you've driven a S3 Sportback back on a British B Road with no magride etc
...Capeesh Bro

When o when do you ever drive on roads with corners bends undulating Road surfaces etc...complaining Bro? Comeback to me when you've driven a S3 Sportback back on a British B Road with no magride etc
...Capeesh Bro
Got to admit jassy The magride does make up for some of the shortcomings of the A3...
Now you got me dissing the S3....lol:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68, Scottyg and Jassyo06
...Capeesh Bro
There will never be an S3 Sportback here in the USA, so I'll never have the experience.

Aren't you the same folk that were saying magnetic ride was an overrated add-in? Are you wanting a cushy sofa ride like a 70s Cadillac in your S3?

There will never be an S3 Sportback here in the USA, so I'll never have the experience.

Aren't you the same folk that were saying magnetic ride was an overrated add-in? Are you wanting a cushy sofa ride like a 70s Cadillac in your S3?

GG..... Give it a rest with this it's all old hat old chap and a pointless debate....

Reactions: pburv
Seeing as magnetic ride was fitted standard on my S3 I wouldn't call it overrated .Now that I have experienced what it adds to the table I wouldn't spec another A3 without it...These are my own experiences of course..:yes:

Seeing as magnetic ride was fitted standard on my S3 I wouldn't call it overrated .Now that I have experienced what it adds to the table I wouldn't spec another A3 without it...These are my own experiences of course..:yes:
Aye but it's still a frickin wedding car
...lol

A smorgasboard of magic mushrooms brings some interesting things to the table also....:whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and Scottyg
I can't believe how Audi UK conifgurator had offered magnetic ride to the A3 and a slew of other options.

I'm really disappointed that Audi USA gets none of that, and neither will the B9 A4 or the FL A3 it won't get Park Assist, Matrix LED, headlight-washer system, etc. etc.

I know this shouldn't bug me, but it does.

I would think Audi would try to load the Audi's over here up with tech, so Tesla can't poach its customers away. Because Tesla doesn't appear to be backing down on any of their concept features.

I can't believe how Audi UK conifgurator had offered magnetic ride to the A3 and a slew of other options.

I'm really disappointed that Audi USA gets none of that, and neither will the B9 A4 or the FL A3 it won't get Park Assist, Matrix LED, headlight-washer system, etc. etc.

I know this shouldn't bug me, but it does.
I feel your pain.....lol:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and gamegenie
@jassyo06 some of those B roads you are talking about should C,D and E in some parts of our beautiful country. The US would have them but make them 4 lane wide with another 2 lane run off area as their cars can't go round corners! Hence why they don't have roundabouts!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06