Quick wash

Pook

Reaction score
Looking for people's thoughts on doing quick washes. My usual full works takes me around 1:30hrs and that's without waxing, so I am looking at possibly only doing this every other wash. After I have pre washed using VP citrus PW, then powerhosed it off, my car generally looks pretty damn clean. I'm thinking could I stop at this point and skip the shampoo and dry occasionally?? My car is glacier white so I'm hoping it might not look too bad with water marks etc. I'm not looking for shortcuts specifically, as there's no replacement for some proper TLC, but the less i physically touch my paintwork with a mitt or drying towel the better really. I have pro applied Gtechnic too which of course helps. Any thoughts or experiences anyone.....

Jeeeeez a maintenance wash for me (my weekly wash in between 6 monthly details) takes me 15mins max
Snow foam
Rinse
Hand wash
Rinse with rain water
Dry.
Even when im detailing a car my prep stage I.e. washing claying detar iron x etc ... only takes around tht time.

a16d8dd1922b3a38d6e9c62e4f8631d7.jpg

The a3 3 weeks ago after a maintenance wash 5weeks ish post detail

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

15 minutes !! Have you been trained by the Kosovans ? :blink:
Hour and a half is about the same for me,two bucket method and hand drying

Reactions: Raiden, DJ_26 and Pook
About hour and a half for me too. Snow foam, rinse, two bucket wash and hand dry. My wheels take me half an hour at least.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pook
15 minutes !! Have you been trained by the Kosovans ? :blink:
Hour and a half is about the same for me,two bucket method and hand drying
Nope ... I find its all in the prep tho, detailed and sealed properly I find the dirt just runs off a car
Snowfoam
Whilst that dwells sort/fill my buckets shampoo and hot water
Rinse
Hand Wash 2bm and noodle pads
Rinse I use water from my water butt in 3cans which us ready to go ... so much better than the water from the hose esp. In my area as water is so hard, plus it runs off and makes drying so much easier
Dry mf towels
Fresh soapy water for wheels
Rinse
Dry.
Think my results above speak for themselves.

Quickest i can get to is-

snow foam
hand wash meguiars ultimate wash and wax.
wheels with iron-x wheel cleaner.
rinse the lot.
rinse again with demon shine spray on shine rinse aid.

everything is so slippery by then it barely needs drying, a quick go over with a woolly mammoth drying towel and i'm done.

at least this way there is some protection between monthly waxes (which makes every wash quicker)

the misses and kids have barely enough time to notice i'm gone.

Nope ... I find its all in the prep tho, detailed and sealed properly I find the dirt just runs off a car
Snowfoam
Rinse
Rinse I use water from my water butt in 3cans which us ready to go ... so much better than the water from the hose esp. In my area as water is so hard, plus it runs off and makes drying so much easier
Dry mf towels
Rinse
Dry.

I
Snowfoam
Rinse
Dry mf towels
Rinse
Dry.

I use an almost identical method, I have to agree with Voorhees, you must look like a man possessed if you can do all that in 15 mins. I'd say it easy takes 15 mins to complete stage 1:

Prepare pre wash solution in correct ratio and apply it.

While curing, I set up the powerhouse and prepare my 2 buckets (and these are just for the wheels!)

Powerhose off the pre wash.

Tbh I like the prewash to cure for about 10 mins anyway so to complete the rest in 5 is impossible.

Reactions: mister.c. and voorhees
Anyone ever just pre washed and power rinsed off and left it? Like in the winter maybe more I'm thinking to avoid too much contact? Also, how often would you say on average you do a wash? Winter and summer will vary I'm guessing....

When I'm fit I normally wash my car twice a week. If it's good weather like now, in between I will give her a quick QD wipe down with a damp MF. The weather makes the job so much easier. A normal wash routine with power washer etc normally takes me about an hour.
However, I frequently use waterless wash products. Cars still mark free. This normally takes me 20 mins and a quick top up with Reload.

Anyone ever just pre washed and power rinsed off and left it? Like in the winter maybe more I'm thinking to avoid too much contact? Also, how often would you say on average you do a wash? Winter and summer will vary I'm guessing....

I have just snow foamed. If the protection is still on the car (wax or sealant) then the water spots should occur as it should still bead.

The snow foam didn't make the car look "clean". It was cleaner, but not what I call clean.

If I don't have time for a wash (usually taking me an hour or 2, as the other members here), I will just give it a snow foam. Do prefer to wash it properly though, but understand that I can't every week.

Try it. See if the results are good enough for you.

If you want to go one extra, and don't want the water spots through not drying it, I have been known to use a leaf blower (or vacuum on blow) to blow the water away. Be careful while doing this though, a heavy leaf blower can be dropped easy!

I have just snow foamed. If the protection is still on the car (wax or sealant) then the water spots should occur as it should still bead.

The snow foam didn't make the car look "clean". It was cleaner, but not what I call clean.

If I don't have time for a wash (usually taking me an hour or 2, as the other members here), I will just give it a snow foam. Do prefer to wash it properly though, but understand that I can't every week.

Try it. See if the results are good enough for you.

If you want to go one extra, and don't want the water spots through not drying it, I have been known to use a leaf blower (or vacuum on blow) to blow the water away. Be careful while doing this though, a heavy leaf blower can be dropped easy!
A leaf blower eh, good thinking. Although I have to say my neighbours would probably try and get me sectioned if they saw this lol. I think they're already thinking about it the amount of time I already spend out there.

A leaf blower eh, good thinking. Although I have to say my neighbours would probably try and get me sectioned if they saw this lol. I think they're already thinking about it the amount of time I already spend out there.

Nothing wrong with looking like a twonk when you're doing something you love!!

And yeah, blow the water away. Doesn't get it all away, and can leave streaks, but does a good job of dispersing the water and getting it off the car.

Reactions: Andykb675
Nothing wrong with looking like a twonk when you're doing something you love!!

And yeah, blow the water away. Doesn't get it all away, and can leave streaks, but does a good job of dispersing the water and getting it off the car.
Yea this is true, I'm past caring about them tbh. Their cars are always minging, jealousy I say lol

Reactions: mattmanwrx
Yea this is true, I'm past caring about them tbh. Their cars are always minging, jealousy I say lol

Yeah, my neighbours though I was stupid hen putting gazebo up, and then washing. They thought I was having a party (on my driveway!!!)

But then, a day later, the same neighbour told me "your car is always so clean and I wish mine was like that". I just said it could be for a price!! I'm not doing theirs though lol. Wasted time when I could do mine. Also wasted products IMHO

Yeah, my neighbours though I was stupid hen putting gazebo up, and then washing. They thought I was having a party (on my driveway!!!)

But then, a day later, the same neighbour told me "your car is always so clean and I wish mine was like that". I just said it could be for a price!! I'm not doing theirs though lol. Wasted time when I could do mine. Also wasted products IMHO
Haha yea I've often thought of doing others and making a bit of extra pocket money, but I don't want to lose the enthusiasm for doing mine I guess. I think if I put a gazebo up they might move house! - now there's an idea.....

Reactions: mattmanwrx
Haha yea I've often thought of doing others and making a bit of extra pocket money, but I don't want to lose the enthusiasm for doing mine I guess. I think if I put a gazebo up they might move house! - now there's an idea.....

The gazebo (or any type of shade really) does make a difference. The snow foam doesn't dry out as much, the suds stay for longer, and the water actually stays on the car long enough to dry it off properly.

I also just bought the DAS6 pro machine polisher. Did my bonnet the other day and while it was hot, the bonnet was nice and cool. A little bit of dusting of the compound, but nowhere near as much as if I did it in sunlight (which I wouldn't do though).

Yes, I agree. Doing others would probably make me not want to do mine. I don't even really want to my mums mini, but she asks so nicely lol. The mini actually fits under the gazebo too lol

The gazebo (or any type of shade really) does make a difference. The snow foam doesn't dry out as much, the suds stay for longer, and the water actually stays on the car long enough to dry it off properly.

I also just bought the DAS6 pro machine polisher. Did my bonnet the other day and while it was hot, the bonnet was nice and cool. A little bit of dusting of the compound, but nowhere near as much as if I did it in sunlight (which I wouldn't do though).

Yes, I agree. Doing others would probably make me not want to do mine. I don't even really want to my mums mini, but she asks so nicely lol. The mini actually fits under the gazebo too lol
Can't say no when mam asks! Fortunately mine doesn't drive

I'm quite lucky in that my drive is north east facing so after about midday my car always sits in shade.

You cannot rush a good carwash.

Reactions: voorhees, Bristle Hound and Pook
1 1/2 - 2 hours for a weekly quick wash for the S4
1 - 1 1/2 hours for the same on my wife's Ka

To be fair I'm never in a rush to finish a wash off & can be found tinkering in the garage between 'procedures' lol

Im not rushing either, its just how long it takes.

Yea I guess I do agree there are no shortcuts for the real deal, an hour and a half of my time isn't a lot to ask once a week really :)

I once wanted to wax mine but was too hot. So went to my local Asda as it has a covered car park and did it there. lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bristle Hound, scotty76 and mattmanwrx
Lucky for me the kids taxi is a cab.

Yeah, love having a cabriolet, don't spend anytime doing the roof on my weekly wash. However I do have a full session on it twice a year, at least!!

Usually take a good hour, then the Missus pitches up with the A1, after that, my Mother has an un-nerving ability to turn up just before I start to put the toys away. I am 54 and I know what is good for me, so my Mother always ends up with her car done as well.
For info, I'm not too happy at just snow foaming without putting a spray of wax over it with the Karcher.

Was just on polished bliss website and saw this mini vac blower. They use is solely for blow drying cars. Something to think about (and would be easier than a leaf blower).

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/metro-vac-air-force-blaster-cat5.html#aMasterBBVD0001

You can do a quick wash, but don't dry it off, its mechanical contact that causes the scratches, swirls and general loss of gloss.

Its true that if the cars paintwork has a good coat of wax or glaze (for goodness sake not polish!) then the dirt is easier to remove. But avoid rubbing it with anything.

One good tip is to rinse the car with clean filtered water. The water marks are calcium and such like in the water. Clean purified water is just H20 and so will leave NO marks at all when it evaporates. Ionic make great filters and RaceGlaze do one too.
I always rinse with filtered water any way, leaves a much 'clearer' shine.

That gets used on my dog after hydrotherapy lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk