Newbie with some plans need your thoughts and advice

Cieran88

Reaction score
Hi all,

Bought my self a lovely black sportback black edition 2.0 tdi 177 about 2 weeks ago and what an eventful 2 weeks it's been. Had a 3 and half hour trek to go and get it drive home was great !! Couple of days later the missus is complaining its cutting out and then taking ages to get it to go again hmm strange I thought.. So took it for a little drive and rightly enough it died but this time wouldn't start at all :( so AA recovered it to audi ( thank god it was still under warranty) was given an A7 3.0v6 320bhp black edition as a replacement car !! What a machine. Took the shine of my new car but hey ho, anyways turned out to be the starter motor had gone all sorted under warranty and back with me and going well :)

So this is where I need your help

1. Mapping it ? (Seems so slow after that A7 - cheers Audi !! ) Had a quote of £500 from a local revo not sure if that's a bit steep ? Any other suggestions.

2. Want to put some dvd screens in head rests. Is it best to buy units with DVD players built in or can I just use screens and connect to the MMI ?

3. Upgrade the interior bulbs ? want some nice LEDs seen a thread here but can't find it now can someone point me in right direction.

4. Any recommended detailers in South Wales area. Not needed right away but for future reference, want to keep the black paintwork looking good.

Cheers

Cieran

Welcome!

Some comments for your questions, and only one answer I am afraid...!

1) Sounds about right price wise, but are you not worried about invalidating the warranty....? Seem it just saved you quite a lot of money and personally I would wait until that is up before looking at a remap....

3) Send a PM to T8ups at EM tuning. Get the fogs while you are at it too!

4) Black is a full time job, so I would probably look at getting into detailing yourself if you are fussy about keeping the paint work looking good.

Welcome Cieran!

Believe those engines respond well to a map, but I agree with DrEskimo wait until warranty has gone before starting to tinker around that area - You already uncovered one fault, so could be wise to give it 6+ months / until end of warranty. Besides I waited a year before getting mine done and I appreciate it a lot more, I had learnt how the car responded to multiple driving conditions and as such the map made a huge difference.

I've just sorted a Detailing Guy for my car, he's based in South Wales and travelling to Bristol, he's a member on here I'll see if I can find his details.

As for the map, Revo is certainly leading the game from a marketing standpoint and I very nearly went Revo myself. I ended up going Quantum as it was half the price with great feedback online. Couldn't tell you how it would compare to a Revno but I would be super surprised if there could possibly be much more difference - The improvement to the driving of the car was actually a whole load better than the extra performance to be totally honest with you - Much better low end pick up and smooth power through the rev range.

Enjoy!

Hey both

Totally agree not going to have the map done until the warranty is up. Not worth the risk.

It came with a lovely finish and I gave it a snow foam and wash yesterday but I'm not so clued up when it comes to clay barring/ polishing and waxing so would rather pay someone to do it. Be great if you can find details for me for the guy in South Wales dub2dub.

Found a company in Worcester called car vision that do dvd headrests anyone heard of them ? £350 for both and extra £150 to match leather.

So DVDs and lights will be first jobs I think :)

Check out some of the other sub forums on here, you'll find great info on detailing and car entertainment, search although a bit of a minefield to start with is also pretty handy.