Auto dimming mirrors

Pork

Reaction score
Can anyone who has dimming side mirrors tell me if you can turn them off (like you can with the dimming rear view mirror)?
The salesman talked me out of it because he said they are £400 to replace if you break one!
It was something I did want but now I'm not sure...
I'm assuming that this early on (I only ordered yesterday) you can still make changes to your order?

The side mirrors auto-dim function cannot be turned off.

Replacement glass can be expensive, comes with the Audi territory unfortunately. I replaced the mirror glass once on my A7. £90 from eBay. Very easy DIY swap.

Why would you want to switch the auto dim function off?

Had a courtesy A4 once that had them and was very impressed but found it took some adjustment as you are slightly less aware of cars approaching off your rear quarter. I'm a motorcyclist so always use my safety check anyway (can't get out of the habit).
Rang the dealer today - he didn't sound too impressed about me changing the spec but he said he'll "see what he can do"!

I expect that it is just a bit of extra work for him, you should be able to change the spec right up to the build date. I am an ex- motorcyclist so know what you mean but to be able to drive without being dazzled is much saver imho.

Had a courtesy A4 once that had them and was very impressed but found it took some adjustment as you are slightly less aware of cars approaching off your rear quarter. I'm a motorcyclist so always use my safety check anyway (can't get out of the habit).
Rang the dealer today - he didn't sound too impressed about me changing the spec but he said he'll "see what he can do"!

Yes, but they only dim at night, and when you have your headlights switched on. So I'm still somewhat intrigued by your need to switch off the auto dim function....

At night, when you select reverse gear, auto dim is disabled.

My s5 dimming wing mirrors turn off when you turn off the rear view dimming
And they cost £365 for a new glass

Yeah, rep told me 400 quid so sounds about right.
Thanks Shocker, that's the answer I was looking for.

I asked the question as I have turned off the rear one a couple of times, for example, driving (tired) after having to divert off the north circular at night in winter trying to follow a sat nav that was intent on me taking the (closed) north circular during rush hour. The dim rear mirror makes it hard to see who is trying to drive through your boot when their headlights are below your field of vision.
Hopefully that explains why I was asking the question :)

Yeah, rep told me 400 quid so sounds about right.
Thanks Shocker, that's the answer I was looking for.

I asked the question as I have turned off the rear one a couple of times, for example, driving (tired) after having to divert off the north circular at night in winter trying to follow a sat nav that was intent on me taking the (closed) north circular during rush hour. The dim rear mirror makes it hard to see who is trying to drive through your boot when their headlights are below your field of vision.
Hopefully that explains why I was asking the question :)

Glad to help
I had to replace one glass due to heated element was broken and a fault code kept popping up
Tried second hand but they were all rubbish so got Audi to fit one at 38000 mile service
£365 plus £12 fitting
I didn't really need to change it just to get heated mirror working but I like my cars to be spot on