Been given a golf mk3 cabriolet

205man

Reaction score
My girlfriends grandparents have just told me tonight that they want to give me their mk3 1.8 golf convertible, they have 2 other cars and hardly ever use this one and it needs a little tlc . So they said I could have it as they know I like working on cars and knew I was looking for a new project. (was looking to buy van to convert to a camper lol)

Details: ( pictures soon)
1997 p reg dark blue
57k miles
1.8 petrol
Full power hood - but needs new hood as couple small rips in it
Body work overall good with odd mark and surface rust where scratches not been dealt with but having seen way they drive I'm surprised there not more marks
Alloy wheels with 4 new tyres
11 months mot.

Clutch bites very high
Appears to have a oil leak somewhere as engine has fair bit of oil over it
Steering heavy but not sure tyres pumped up right
Needs good clean inside and polish outside
Drivers window motor or mech sounds rough when closing
Front grill broke - apparently a pheasant went into it

I drove it tonight and first thing I notice is lack of ummph, I know it's only a normal 1.8 and it was I think the least powerful of the engines fitted, but I was thinking of swapping it and wondered what are my engine /upgrade options and the costs. .... I do have an a4 2.8 Quattro sport sat doing nothing but think that engine is wrong way round for a golf.

So ideas how I can give it a bit more get up and go without ploughing thousands into it, as apart from the performance issue it is quite nice to drive and not looking to sell it

Cheers

Plenty of valver engines should fit
Also think you get a corrado unit in it or vr6.

I've got a mate with tonnes of mk3 parts, i think he's got a full leather interior kicking around at the moment that he's trying to flog. if you want to be put in contact drop me a PM

57k miles is pretty low for a mk3! You could always try and source a 2.0 16V engine as this was more desirable. Could always go for a VR6 engine also. I know a guy who absolutely loves mk3s, done a VR6 conversion on one, got an anniversary mk3 2.0 16V and another mk3 GTI aswell. He also had the convertible one at one point.

As for the steering being heavy, could this be due to the power steering pump/lack of PS fluid?