Armrest lid latch broken

MICHAEL PARKER

S3 Sportback
Reaction score
my mates s3 has got a broken lid latch , does the A4 etc armrest fit or the lid , he is struggling to find a leather replacement lid , any ideas welcome

Cheers

Mike

Pretty sure the A4 lid doesn't fit. what most members do is use little magnetic catches either hot glued or epoxy onto existing lid. It's a really expensive route to go down to source a genuine replacement lid.

Pretty sure the A4 lid doesn't fit. what most members do is use little magnetic catches either hot glued or epoxy onto existing lid. It's a really expensive route to go down to source a genuine replacement lid.
Ok I will tell him , he has joined the forum now so may also see this.

Yep very common fault. I decided to fix mine (as some others have) using small magnets.

I took out the small rubber bungs in the top of the lid, slightly widened the holes with a drill bit and then superglued the magnets in place.
017_zpshwcixxjb.jpg

I then used two stainless steel drawing pins which I simply pushed into the lower half for the magnets to hold to when the lid was closed. You could also drill some more holes and add magnets there too but I thought the drawing pins were simpler & you can't see them when the lid is closed. ;)

018_zpsic69qykk.jpg

;)

Tbh I am not sure if this is what he means but it could be , he said the spring has broken I think .

Tbh I am not sure if this is what he means but it could be , he said the spring has broken I think .
I'd bet money that this is his problem. There used to be a plastic/spring latch there but it was already broken on my S3 when I bought it.

Checked at my local Audi dealership but they wanted stupid money for the lid & even more money for the complete unit. Searched eBay and found a few for sale but unfortunately the sellers have realised how much these things are worth even used so still wanted silly money.
Hence the reason I decided to fix mine as I have with magnets. ;)

Point your mate this way to see if I'm right & hopefully it will help him. :)

Reactions: MICHAEL PARKER