Am I doing it right?

cppp

Reaction score
Hiya,

So im new to all this polishing stuff and im about to be getting my brand new audi a4 and was just wondering if these are the right steps to detail my new car.

1. After picking up car drive straight home.

2. Wash with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo & for the wheels use AG Custom wheel cleaner.

3. Apply all 3 of the autoglym life shine (interior protectant, carbon shield and glass guard)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoglym-...zing-Wax-Auto-glym-Car-Cleaning-/261426734748

4. Wait 24 hours, then again wash with Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo & for the wheels use AG Custom wheel cleaner.

5. Apply AG super resin polish buff it off then apply AG HD Wax, for the wheels I'll use the FinishKare 1000P.

Am I missing something or am I good to go?

Thank You!

Yup don't use AG super resin 'polish' your wax will not bond and consequently wash off first time you clean it.
Unless you need some problem with the paintwork fixing why would you use a polish on a new car. A polish IS ABRASIVE.
Clean the paint with something that leaves the surface clean of anything but the manufacturers paint then look to see if you have any swirls or fine scratches fix those then add a wax or as some companies call them a glaze.

Don't use wheel cleaner on a new car, the wheels don't need it, apart from many wheel cleaners are quite harsh acids or alkalis and will in time take the gloss off any paint and strip the plating off callipers etc. Best to wash frequently not letting your wheels get too dirty use a good quality car shampoo like Zymol clear which is PH neutral wont strip your wax off and hardly leaves any drying marks should you not have time to dry them
Look on detailing world as there are other places and other products (many far better) than those sold at Halfords.

Why not look at this sections sponsor Slims Detailing, he sells high quality products at great prices and the service is stunning. I have no connection with Slims other than being a very satisfied customer...........................

Last edited:
Reactions: cppp
Thanks for all the input guys :)

so I contacted a professional detailer nearby and he quoted me £550 for a full protection.

"Gtechniq crystal serum light paintwork,wheels
G1 glass
Interior i1 fabric and l1 leather"

Is it worthed?

and he also told me that I dont need to polish or wax the car for another 3-4 years, only need to de tar every 5/6 months. Is that true?

There are folk with far greater knowledge than I who rate the Gtechniq sealant stuff highly. So, mine is a non-expert view but fwiw, I would steer clear of any such product.

Logically, the promise of not needing to polish is utter rubbish imho. Look at what that is saying. When do you most often need to polish a car? Answer, when you have scratched it; usually light swirling caused by washing accidents. So a product that says no need to polish must by definition be scratch proof. There is no such product and given the thickness of the sealant layer there never will be; it's completely impossible.

I could believe a product claim that you don't have to polish so long as you keep topping up the sealant. But that's just the same as applying a glaze and can be done straight on the clear-coat so it gets a big so-what from me.

Personally, I much prefer to protect the car with a sacrificial layer. Waxing is quick, easy, enjoyable and in my experience far more effective.

I recently had my car detailed with crystal serum light and I have to say it is excellent. The paintwork feels like glass, and the beading is remarkable. The glass coating is also very good, when at high speed your don't even need your wipers on as the water just streams off. When washing it you can see how well the paintwork is protected, muck and spots are removed much easier. Obviously I can't comment on its longevity cos I've only had the car a month, but first impressions are is that it is defo worth the money.

I recently had my car detailed with crystal serum light and I have to say it is excellent. The paintwork feels like glass, and the beading is remarkable. The glass coating is also very good, when at high speed your don't even need your wipers on as the water just streams off. When washing it you can see how well the paintwork is protected, muck and spots are removed much easier. Obviously I can't comment on its longevity cos I've only had the car a month, but first impressions are is that it is defo worth the money.

thats great man, may I ask how much you paid for it?

thats great man, may I ask how much you paid for it?
You may, it was £360 for my saloon but I didn't get the interior done, it would have been £480 with the interior

You may, it was £360 for my saloon but I didn't get the interior done, it would have been £480 with the interior

oh thats not too bad, why didnt you do the interior? is it not worthed?

oh thats not too bad, why didnt you do the interior? is it not worthed?
For me I didn't think so, I don't have kids or pets and I'm generally clean and tidy and clean my car regularly. I think the product will work well, basically just like a sofa guard, just depends whether you think you'll spill things or get ya seats mucky much. I was 50/50 for a while but saved my pennies instead.

I guess it will vary slightly judging by what 'service' the detailer offers. For instance my car was collected from the port by him, then a full detail, and then delivered to audi for me to collect. I guess this service will be part of the cost and the price of this will vary. But good for a ball park for sure.

I've used Nanolex which is very good. You can do these treatments yourself if your prepared for a little hard work and save yourself hundreds.

Go to Waxstock, see and try for your self.