Persuade me to jump ship from M135i BMW to Facelift S3!

I'm 3 months into owning my S3 saloon, honestly if I could go back in time I would buy a M235i instead. Nothing wrong with the S3 I just prefer the coupe looks.
Turncoat....Lol............Just kidding mate:friends:

Reactions: Chris4410
On the other hand the 2 series looks so good, and sporty that makes me want to lose the practicality of the hatchback....

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Dont see it personally. A guy at the end of our road has a 235i....it looks awkward from all angles.
But then there is the previous gen 1 series coupe owned by a young lady a few doors down. Absolutely stunning, lovely curves and a nice tight rear end. Her cars not bad either.

Reactions: Dazzeroo, encee, pburv and 4 others
In perfect conditions and in the right frame of mind the BM will be the better drive however every other time the S3 is the better car. Even with x drive I wouldn't buy any 1 or 2 series over an S or RS. Wife used to have a 2013 1 series and BM interior I think is too old and too boring, also imo the BM is not a nice looking car and is proportionally wrong.

Ultimately the S3 is slightly flawed as a performance car (it does like a bounce every so often) however most of the time in all conditions you will cover ground as fast as most people can without facing serious legal consequences ;) S3 is extremely competent at going very quickly very effectively.

In my 15k miles I have averaged 32mpg with a long term average speed of 46mph which is remarkable given the performance available.

p.s. I have a 3dr manual in a solid £0 colour (pretty rare combo) so you would be joining an exclusive club :)

Last edited:
There is no doubt that the BMW has 'Marmite' looks - we happen to like Marmite. Also important to us is a car that is relatively understated (we prefer a 'wolf in sheep's clothing'). On the looks front Mrs FB tends to err towards the M135i, but is yet to see a facelift A3, let alone S3.

Interesting to read the average mileage of 32mpg, which is marginally better that the 30 average in our M135i (whilst you don't buy a car like this for economy, you don't want it to be too thirsty).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv
If the price had been right for an M235i with the performance kit and wheels there is no way I would have gone with the S3, unfortunately with these added it pushed the price beyond what I was willing to pay and in my opinion it needs these additions

Dont see it personally. A guy at the end of our road has a 235i....it looks awkward from all angles.
But then there is the previous gen 1 series coupe owned by a young lady a few doors down. Absolutely stunning, lovely curves and a nice tight rear end. Her cars not bad either.
Badum-TISH!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Max-Robbo and pburv
Pretty disappointed with the new S3 colour options tbh (apart from the Panther Black of course )

c2a234d6efa211148eb87004007eff36.jpg

www.supercarsofscotland.co.uk
Twitter: @supercarsofSCOT
Instagram: supercarsofscotland_uk

Reactions: Kugaman1
I've put together a decision matrix flow chart :-

Capture

Reactions: Happy Grumpz, Tom_L, SW14NY'S and 4 others
Unfortunately life's never that simple but how about writing a list of what's important to you in a car then drive yours and an S3 back to back and score each attribute then add them up and see which wins ?

Bit difficult at the moment with no F/Ls around but maybe add 5% to the S3 score.

Reactions: SW14NY'S, Jassyo06 and pburv
First thing is an extended test drive. Another influencing factor is that Mrs FB doesn't like dark interiors and isn't particularly taken by the Audi grey (didn't mind the silver grey which is no longer an option). As she spends far more time in our main car than me, this is very much a joint decision. In truth, the test drive will really need to impress her to dislodge her from ordering a M135i.

Reactions: SW14NY'S and pburv
First thing is an extended test drive. Another influencing factor is that Mrs FB doesn't like dark interiors and isn't particularly taken by the Audi grey (didn't mind the silver grey which is no longer an option). As she spends far more time in our main car than me, this is very much a joint decision. In truth, the test drive will really need to impress her to dislodge her from ordering a M135i.
Always the case mate... I'm thinking about a 'toy' for a few years' time, I want an E46 3 Series, she wants an MX-5...

We're compromising and getting an MX-5. ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Always the case mate... I'm thinking about a 'toy' for a few years' time, I want an E46 3 Series, she wants an MX-5...

I just sold my one. They're brilliant cars. They're a bargain to buy, cost pennies to run, are fantastic fun, and are tunable to a almost ridiculous degree. 300 hp is relatively easy on these...

Reactions: Max-Robbo and pburv
I just sold my one. They're brilliant cars. They're a bargain to buy, cost pennies to run, are fantastic fun, and are tunable to a almost ridiculous degree. 300 hp is relatively easy on these...
View attachment 94392
She's a stunner mate!! Yeah I've heard from multiple places that they're one of the easiest to tune/upgrade, but it's interesting that you say it's cheap to run... good to know!

Last edited:
Reactions: GSB and pburv
View attachment 94392
GSB You 'poseur'.....
Lovely looking motor mate...:friends:

Reactions: GSB
Tidy car.

Can you fit me in for a dry trim at 3pm?

Reactions: Happy Grumpz, Dazzeroo, GSB and 4 others
@GSB what are they like for 'maximum' mileage, d'ya know? I.E. what's too high to buy for a '5?

Might have been an easier decision for you OP, if you'd posed the question in the winter months.

Reactions: Max-Robbo
@GSB what are they like for 'maximum' mileage, d'ya know? I.E. what's too high to buy for a '5?

There's no short way for me to answer any question, so apologies for the hijacking, normal service can be resumed shortly.

Honestly? If we're talking Mk3's like mine then mileage appears not to be an issue. I've driven 80,000 milers that were just as taut, rattle free, and felt as fresh as my one was with only 20,000 miles on it. People are reporting the same for 100,000 mile old examples.

Mk3's (2005 to 2015) were bigger and heavier than the mk1 & 2, and when they came out in 2007, were pretty roundly bashed by the motoring press. To be fair they handled horribly and looked awful. The mid life revision that gave it some sharper looks in 2008 corrected all the issues though, and it had better suspension and a much stronger engine. This Mk3.5 or the 2013 mk3.75 are the mk3's to go for. Rust is the main killer, although most of the early cars can be "cured" with a decent set of shocks and springs. The engine is pretty bombproof just so long as the oil level is kept up. 160hp from 2.0litres means the engine has an easy life, especially with so little wieght to muscle about. 180hp is an exhaust and map away, is just enough to be a lot of fun and makes the car respectably quick. Mine was tuned by BBR, via the Mazda main dealer (I know, it's amazing! Imagine Audi doing that!). 225hp can be had with exhaust and cam changes. 270hp is a baseline everyday use tune when turbocharged, and offers insane levels of perfornance. I was offered all of these by my main dealer, who would warranty the work (!) so it appears the driveline is considered to be well up to the job of coping with it all too.

These cars are dirt cheap even when new, they're a total bargain. The hairdresser reputation means they are largely overlooked but it really is a very serious car. I was really very cynical when I bought mine since it was my wife's idea and I didn't think of it as a credible sportscar at all, but I am happy to report I've been proven utterly wrong. These cars will teach you more about pure driving than any amount of Quattro equipped loony hatchback with double the power ever will. New they're only £20k, which means that whilst they hold their value really well, they're very affordable to buy used. You'll get a high spec folding roof one at three years old with really low miles for under £12k. For a total of £10k you could have a leggier soft top one that'll show a Boxter S a clean pair of heels.

Reactions: batch and Max-Robbo
There's no short way for me to answer any question, so apologies for the hijacking, normal service can be resumed shortly.

Honestly? If we're talking Mk3's like mine then mileage appears not to be an issue. I've driven 80,000 milers that were just as taut, rattle free, and felt as fresh as my one was with only 20,000 miles on it. People are reporting the same for 100,000 mile old examples.

Mk3's (2005 to 2015) were bigger and heavier than the mk1 & 2, and when they came out in 2007, were pretty roundly bashed by the motoring press. To be fair they handled horribly and looked awful. The mid life revision that gave it some sharper looks in 2008 corrected all the issues though, and it had better suspension and a much stronger engine. This Mk3.5 or the 2013 mk3.75 are the mk3's to go for. Rust is the main killer, although most of the early cars can be "cured" with a decent set of shocks and springs. The engine is pretty bombproof just so long as the oil level is kept up. 160hp from 2.0litres means the engine has an easy life, especially with so little wieght to muscle about. 180hp is an exhaust and map away, is just enough to be a lot of fun and makes the car respectably quick. Mine was tuned by BBR, via the Mazda main dealer (I know, it's amazing! Imagine Audi doing that!). 225hp can be had with exhaust and cam changes. 270hp is a baseline everyday use tune when turbocharged, and offers insane levels of perfornance. I was offered all of these by my main dealer, who would warranty the work (!) so it appears the driveline is considered to be well up to the job of coping with it all too.

These cars are dirt cheap even when new, they're a total bargain. The hairdresser reputation means they are largely overlooked but it really is a very serious car. I was really very cynical when I bought mine since it was my wife's idea and I didn't think of it as a credible sportscar at all, but I am happy to report I've been proven utterly wrong. These cars will teach you more about pure driving than any amount of Quattro equipped loony hatchback with double the power ever will. New they're only £20k, which means that whilst they hold their value really well, they're very affordable to buy used. You'll get a high spec folding roof one at three years old with really low miles for under £12k. For a total of £10k you could have a leggier soft top one that'll show a Boxter S a clean pair of heels.

I think I'm just about sold after that...! Very surprising that a main dealer will do all this for you, but it's not Audi so anything is possible!

Thanks for taking the time for that @GSB, and apologies @Falmouthboy for the thread derail!

Reactions: GSB
Might have been an easier decision for you OP, if you'd posed the question in the winter months.

Not so much in Cornwall - snow and ice are very rare. Mind - it does rain rather a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came from a Subaru Impreza WRX after 8 years in the same beauty(I know most don't like them but I do) I used to throw my Scoob into anything in the wet or the snow and it just kept on gripping. The S3 is about 90% as good in the wet after 11moths....to be fair, I had the Scoob a lot longer so, there is time for the S3 to make up that extra 10%.
If you do get an S3....get the Super Sports Seats! It makes the car look like its on the next level.

Reactions: Max-Robbo
Well, having had an extended drive in an S3 yesterday, Mrs FB is even more confused. She was convinced that she wasn't going to enjoy the drive or the sound. Indeed, she was determined not to. Turns out she totally loved the drive and found the sound of the engine acceptable (though still not as nice as a BMW 6 cyl). But, and it's a really big BUT, she is really struggling with the dull, monotone (albeit high quality) interior. Had the Luna Silver still been an option, I think Audi would certainly have had a sale yesterday. As it stands, the black on black, on black is certainly a 'no' and the grey isn't much better.

We also took a drive in an RS3. They can do an amazing deal on one of the last built but unsold ones (including one with unfortunately way OTT spec but Luna Silver sports seats). Indeed, we can have a base spec one for less than our mid spec S3 - but it doesn't even have cruise control. However clearly the running costs are so much more.

The trouble is - you spend your time 'in' the car, so if the interior isn't 'floating your boat', it could lead to later regrets. Despite the quality of the Audi interior being better, the BMW has it on colour and ambiance. Decisions decisions!

Reactions: SW14NY'S and Max-Robbo

Fiat 124 abarth that's the one to get far prettier than the Mazda version and it's got turbo

Reactions: pburv, Max-Robbo and Rob2k68
Well, having had an extended drive in an S3 yesterday, Mrs FB is even more confused. She was convinced that she wasn't going to enjoy the drive or the sound. Indeed, she was determined not to. Turns out she totally loved the drive and found the sound of the engine acceptable (though still not as nice as a BMW 6 cyl). But, and it's a really big BUT, she is really struggling with the dull, monotone (albeit high quality) interior. Had the Luna Silver still been an option, I think Audi would certainly have had a sale yesterday. As it stands, the black on black, on black is certainly a 'no' and the grey isn't much better.

We also took a drive in an RS3. They can do an amazing deal on one of the last built but unsold ones (including one with unfortunately way OTT spec but Luna Silver sports seats). Indeed, we can have a base spec one for less than our mid spec S3 - but it doesn't even have cruise control. However clearly the running costs are so much more.

The trouble is - you spend your time 'in' the car, so if the interior isn't 'floating your boat', it could lead to later regrets. Despite the quality of the Audi interior being better, the BMW has it on colour and ambiance. Decisions decisions!

The Mrs is going to win end of...lol l don't like Audi's black leather either it's very dark place,but l don't DO BMW personally

Last edited:
Reactions: SW14NY'S, pburv and Rob2k68
Ultimately, it's more her car than mine, because she will do most of the mileage during the week when I drive our 'workhorse' Yeti, so she needs to be 100% 'in'. To be honest, it has her hooked more than she thought it would. We have just found a review with a better interior picture that shows the grey as slightly lighter than we thought - very hard when you are relying on photos.

Which dealer were the RS3s at?

Always handy to know these things, especially if theres the potential of a great deal!

Cheers, seen them.
I thought Falmouthboy was looking in the Cornwall,area?

Which dealer were the RS3s at?

Always handy to know these things, especially if theres the potential of a great deal!

The dealer was just searching the Audi database - I presumed it was parked in some Audi UK compound somewhere.

Well 90% there on pulling the trigger. Spec nailed down to: 3 door DSG, Daytona Grey, Rotor Grey leather, parking plus, virtual cockpit, magnetic ride, auto dimming rear mirror, folding mirrors, tech pack advanced, privacy glass. I think we have the price nailed down as far as we can

Decision in the next day or so

Reactions: pburv and Max-Robbo
Well 90% there on pulling the trigger. Spec nailed down to: 3 door DSG, Daytona Grey, Rotor Grey leather, parking plus, virtual cockpit, magnetic ride, auto dimming rear mirror, folding mirrors, tech pack advanced, privacy glass. I think we have the price nailed down as far as we can

Decision in the next day or so

That's quite some spec, cracking car that'll be! Decided on the Audi then? Or is this just theoretical?

That's quite some spec, cracking car that'll be! Decided on the Audi then? Or is this just theoretical?

I think we are decided on the Audi - fancy a change more than anything and the S3 really surprised Mrs FB. With the exception of memory electric seats that aren't available on the Audi 3 door, it's a like for like spec wise to the BMW. The cost to change with the Audi is a bit more - works out about £1.5k more deposit with the same monthly payments.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Max-Robbo
I think we are decided on the Audi - fancy a change more than anything and the S3 really surprised Mrs FB. With the exception of memory electric seats that aren't available on the Audi 3 door, it's a like for like spec wise to the BMW. The cost to change with the Audi is a bit more - works out about £1.5k more deposit with the same monthly payments.

Excellent, glad the compromise went your way this time!! Enjoy the car fella :friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
And the deal is done, deposit paid, October delivery. Unless someone has already ordered one from one of the Devon dealerships, it will be the first facelift S3 in Cornwall

Reactions: Jassyo06, Max-Robbo, Kugaman1 and 1 other person
How wrong was jassy...lol excellent choice ie the Audi S3 aint perfect what car is, but its far more stylish than a 1/2 series car.... and as you said you can pride yourself in the fact it will be first new face lift car in Cornwall.......here's me thinking they all drove around Cornwall in Clotted Cream vans...with Ambrosia....emblazoned on the side of them...lol

Fiat 124 abarth that's the one to get far prettier than the Mazda version and it's got turbo
Wash your mouth out... Prettier indeed. Pfft...

That turbo is bolted to a Stone Age iron block 1400cc engine, that's carting around a far larger set of contrived hackneyed retro Americana style panels than the MX5, and it cant be had with the Mazda's gorgeous RF roof.

And, an Abarth 124 will set you back north of £31k... That's not toy money, that's new S3 money, or year old Boxter money...

In fact, Abarth pricing makes Audi look eminently sensible. If you are so minded (and plenty of buyers seem to be) you can buy an Abarth 500 without the rear seats, but still with less than 200 hp, which with all the good options will set you back rather more than the £11k city car it's based on (which of course shares its underpinnings with the £9k Ford Ka).

The 500 biposto, a 2 seat seat track biased front drive city car, yours for £50k.

Having finally made a decision :yahoo:and moved to 'the dark side' I thought I'd better join the forum! Thanks for all your advice and comments on here - really useful. A long wait now until October but at least I've still got the Mlite to see me through ....:racer:

Mrs FB - aka 'Soup' :redface new:

Reactions: vacant, pburv, Jassyo06 and 2 others