1.8 tfsi hissing noise

Karlos_

Reaction score
Hey, first post here and not a car boff so this could be something or absolutely nothing.

I bought the car a couple of weeks ago and been loving it, although I've recently noticed when sitting at idle and low speeds I can hear what sound like a small air leak coming from directly in front of me. What I found strange was when I engage the brake lever the sound completely stops, and once taken off the hissing slowly returns.
Anyone with experience able to give some insight into what it could be and if it's a serious issue or not?

Thanks
Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like brake servo... :( split diaphram inside.. on an s3 its a big job.. engine almost out.. 1600 quid at audi.. although the part is only 200 quid its the 9 hours labour thats the killer... a few guys on here have had it done for about 600 quid i think..

Pretend its a performance mod and it doesnt sound so expensive. :(

Foot pedal. You can pretty much hear the air being pushed out as you put your foot down on the brake

Sounds like brake servo... :( split diaphram inside.. on an s3 its a big job.. engine almost out.. 1600 quid at audi.. although the part is only 200 quid its the 9 hours labour thats the killer... a few guys on here have had it done for about 600 quid i think..
Ah balls... Not what I wanted. I managed to get the advanced warranty added on when I bought the car so i'll have to check if thats covered. Doubt they'd do anything though until it completely failed or I got the engine management light on.

Reactions: Hookmonster
Its a brake safty issue theorhetically..might be a cheaper easier job on yours i hope.. im sure somebody will jump in and confirm shortly... i had it on mine.. never any problem apart from the annoying hiss.. but it would only get worse.

Audi did the job half price for me and it was out of extended warrenty.. it was purchased from there by the previous owner...and had full audi service history..

I asked politly if they coyld help with a good will gesture and they did... put them high im my estimation for doing that..

Last edited:
Its a brake safty issue theorhetically..might be a cheaper easier job on yours i hope.. im sure somebody will jump in and confirm shortly... i had it on mine.. never any problem apart from the annoying hiss.. but it would only get worse.

Okay so I just checked my warranty documents and it specifically states servo brake pumps are covered. No harm in me ringing them up tomorrow and ask them to check it out. I haven't noticed the brakes performing poorly at all, probably better than my previous car tbh.
Is there any way of me checking this before taking it in to them?

Audi did the job half price for me and it was out of extended warrenty.. it was purchased from there by the previous owner...and had full audi service history..

I asked politly if they coyld help with a good will gesture and they did... put them high im my estimation for doing that..

Bought mine from an indie garage but the warranty is covered by an external company

I doubt you will find a problem.. or it would show a fault... we could do with somebody whos up on your car to give us an idea of labour time for your servo.. ive heard of the warrenty companys wanting to pay for 2 and a half hours on a job thats really 9 hours... ( because thats what it says it takes on there system )
Just wait till somebody jumps on here and gives you an accurate idea of the job.

Reactions: Karlos_
Probably doesn't help I've only seen about 4 people on this forum with the 1.8