B9 Economy

Just had a week in Cornwall and on the 300 mile journey back on mixture of A roads and motorways I got 59mpg.

I was getting between 44-50 on the B roads when there.

Interesting thread!

I just had a A4 B9 saloon demonstrator - 2.0 TFSI S-Line w/ 18" wheels, and the MMI would show just shy of 50mpg on a very gentle motorway run for my best.

My commute is from around Brighton - Heathrow, 140m per day (120 on m-way).

I got through a tank (to red line) in around 450 miles, so 41mpg. I did have a few "spirited" drives with that fill too!

TBH I would have expected a little better, but expect it to improve with time as car only had 1500 miles on the clock.

In efficiency mode you could see revs drop down when coasting, or going downhill! Smart

It might be helpful to say which gearbox as I think there will be quite a difference between a manual to a stronic, although I guess yours is a stronic? I can't see how the freewheeling 'feature' makes any difference to the mpg as the engine has a fuel cut off valve on the over run anyway..

Very true! Knew I was forgetting something... My experience was on S Tronic

Yes there was a difference between coasting and overrun - as sometimes the revs dropped to idle, others (I.e speed holding on hill) it kept the revs up but the MPG meter went into a "green" / battery zone!