Cr140 tuning & exhaust

Rickyr65sl

Reaction score
Afternoon all, recently registered on here to seek some advice on tuning my cr140 engine a3.

I've done all sorts to my previous cars and I'm not shy when it comes to spanner work.

So...

1. Dpf - will I gain anything more from a dpf delete pipe over having the dpf removed from my original downpipe?

2. Dpf and egr delete via remap, should I remove them both and have it mapped to suit or is OK to just have the software removed via a remap and leave them as they are?

3. Turbo upgrade - heard mixed stories that cr170 turbos are pretty much a direct fit? Is this the case? What parts are needed? What cars can I get the turbo off? Do I need different injectors? Do I need a different intercooler? Will the clutch handle more power?

4. Exhaust - my current 140 has the single exit back box, what a3s can I get the twin back box off to fit mine with minimal work? Also where's best to get the twin exhaust valance from?

5. Remap - where should I be looking to go to have my car mapped? Can the cr140 have the popcorn limiter added? If so then is it ok to have it?

Any help would be great, I'm new to Vag diesels, pretty much only ever owned tfsi's and 1.8t's.

Cheers

Afternoon all, recently registered on here to seek some advice on tuning my cr140 engine a3.

I've done all sorts to my previous cars and I'm not shy when it comes to spanner work.

So...

1. Dpf - will I gain anything more from a dpf delete pipe over having the dpf removed from my original downpipe?

2. Dpf and egr delete via remap, should I remove them both and have it mapped to suit or is OK to just have the software removed via a remap and leave them as they are?

3. Turbo upgrade - heard mixed stories that cr170 turbos are pretty much a direct fit? Is this the case? What parts are needed? What cars can I get the turbo off? Do I need different injectors? Do I need a different intercooler? Will the clutch handle more power?

4. Exhaust - my current 140 has the single exit back box, what a3s can I get the twin back box off to fit mine with minimal work? Also where's best to get the twin exhaust valance from?

5. Remap - where should I be looking to go to have my car mapped? Can the cr140 have the popcorn limiter added? If so then is it ok to have it?

Any help would be great, I'm new to Vag diesels, pretty much only ever owned tfsi's and 1.8t's.

Cheers

1 & 2. Gut the DPF and blank or delete the EGR and then remap them both out. I wouldn't swap the DPF for a removal pipe because there is a visual inspection for the DPF as part of the MOT. Gutting it means it's still there when the guy looks for it.

3. The 170 isn't just a turbo over the 140. At least the injectors are different and maybe the intercooler as well. Power as in BHP doesn't kill clutches, the torque does. It should be OK for a bit if you're gentle and have a decent map that isn't too peaky.

4. No point going for another A3 back box. Any custom exhaust place will be able to make you a nice dual exit one.

5. Depends where you are - use some reputable and local. Our forum sponsors are @Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. in Stockport and @Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps in the North East.

As an aside, don't go too crazy because these cars really struggle for traction especially in the wet. The 170 should have deffo been 4WD but Audi missed a trick there.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've heard that about the dpf having a visual check, my mot guy is a mate so no problems there but if there's no more gain from the delete pipe then I'll just gut the original one anyway.

I've read mixed stories on the 170 differences so need to try and confirm 100% what's needed.

Can you recommend anywhere for a custom exhaust that isn't going to break the bank?

And thanks for the list of mappers