Black smoke!!

dannyjb

Reaction score
Hi all, driving my car yesterday I noticed black smoke when accelerating. There's no loss of power or engine lights. But if I put it in a higher gear at lower revs then it's smoking bad.

I've had the car a month or two and there was never any smoke at all so something has or is going wrong :/

Any ideas?

My best guess would be a vacuum leak somewhere. Try getting a smoke test done, about half hours work so not an expensive test at all

Edit: assuming its a turbo diesel?

I would look for a boost leak, check all the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and back from the intercooler to the engine. Any boost leak will probably be shown up by a wet oil patch as the crankcase ventilation fumes are passed through the intake system. And any leak results in a wet oil patch.

I would look for a boost leak, check all the hoses from the turbo to the intercooler and back from the intercooler to the engine. Any boost leak will probably be shown up by a wet oil patch as the crankcase ventilation fumes are passed through the intake system. And any leak results in a wet oil patch.
******, sorry OP, dessertstorm is right, why did I say vacuum :wtf: I'll just go away now

Thank you for the replys the engine light is now on with a code for fuel temp sensor fault I've checked pipes and nothing obvious so it's booked in the garage. Will update once I have answers.

Well just an up date. Got it back from the garage it's showing on the computer that all four glow plugs aren't working, the fuel temp sensor is faulty. It's going back in to have all wiring checked as he thinks it's more likely to be a fault within the wiring but where abouts he don't know yet. So another day in the garage and I'll up date again.