Emergency Services Vehicles

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
So many times recently, I have been in traffic and spotted an ambulance or police car approaching with its lights flashing and sirens on and people fail to prepare and move out of the way for them!!!

Why do people just sit there and wait and think its acceptable!!!

The vehicles are designed and set to use these facilities for a reason, so why can people please not move out of the way for them so that they can get to their emergency!!

Reactions: Jake 61, Arrkon, jojo and 1 other person
So many times recently, I have been in traffic and spotted an ambulance or police car approaching with its lights flashing and sirens on and people fail to prepare and move out of the way for them!!!

The vehicles are designed and set to use these facilities for a reason, so why can people please not move out of the way for them so that they can get to their emergency!!
You know Nilz, it wouldn't be that if it was them or loved ones that was waiting for assistance from the emergency services. Then they would expect others to move. The same rules apply to everyone. Sirens and flashing lights mean they need through so move out the way and let them get on with doing their job

Reactions: Jake 61 and Nilz
I agree @Sandra, its a shame that some people cant think or see past themselves or have more awareness of their surroundings and what is going on around them.

I remember when I was younger and an emergency vehicle was coming up, they would literally have a straight run and it would be like Moses parting the sea when they got closer, that just doesnt seem to be the case anymore, im not sure why though.

Unfortunately nowadays it takes something bad to happen for people to realise why some things are the way they are.

Reactions: Jake 61 and Sandra
People who drive nowadays don't use mirrors and haven't a clue how to aid an emergency vehicle (as in getting out the way ), if its clear signal and slow down if not do your best to get out the way , but leave enough room for it to pass .ultimately its the emergency vehicle driver who is responsible to make progress through traffic .
Sometimes drivers see the vehicle move over slightly but keep going at the same speed , a fire engine or Ambulance doesn't have enough lift to get by quickly especially if they have had to slow down first ..

I think it's more likely they're paying such little attention to what's going on around them they don't notice the siren and blue flashing lights.

Reactions: Sandra
The most irritating thing, that's happened to me a couple of times recently, is when you pull over, having seen the blues in the mirror, and then the next car or two behind you just carry on past & overtake, then have nowhere to go to get out the way of the incoming Ambulance...

My Soon to be Father-in-Law is a Firefighter, and often is in the driving seat, some of the stories he has to tell are shocking!

The most irritating thing, that's happened to me a couple of times recently, is when you pull over, having seen the blues in the mirror, and then the next car or two behind you just carry on past & overtake, then have nowhere to go to get out the way of the incoming Ambulance...

My Soon to be Father-in-Law is a Firefighter, and often is in the driving seat, some of the stories he has to tell are shocking!

I have had the same. You see the light and make room for them and some idiot that's not aware of what's going on blocks the road. I've got out before and told them to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I notice this in towns but I find that in motorway traffic, people tend to move across more readily. The one thing that is interesting is the issue regarding red lights. I've heard of people receiving points/ fines for crossing a red light in order to let emergency services through. The advice from an industry professional was that if you are waiting at a red light you have every right to wait at the red light even if the emergency service is behind you. I think this is quite sad people are penalised for something like this; both the drivers and the people who need the emergency services.

I would only go through a red light if the emergency vehicle was right behind me. And I would only pull to the left or right.

It's a huge problem in the North as well, bear in mind, there are no motorways, very limited dual carriageways and a lot of the time, A roads where two LGV's struggle to pass.
I see Ambulances more often than anything else and they always have a problem getting past. I don't know if it's the ignorance of the car drivers to what they should actually do, but, at the end of the day, it is driving without due care and attention.
As Phil said above, when you pull over to let an emergency vehicle past and the two cars behind you overtake, that really presses my angry button.
Dash cam is the best thing I put on the car recently, I was sick of near misses and idiots. Not to mention having to wait for a year for the claim to get settled when my last A3 got written off by a f***wit...!

The Dash Cam is the best thing I've got for the car in a long time.
I have full respect for our emergence services and will always do what I can to help them

Reactions: Jake 61
Yeas I agree with above. Do NOT go through a red light to let an emergency vehicle through even edging past the line to move left or right can result in you getting a ticket. It's the sad state of affairs that we live in. I read an article on it where emergency drivers said don't move as they will cross the opposite carriageway and progress that way instead.

I think a lot of it is some drivers are so nervous that they panic and freeze, unable to make a rational decision on how to get out of the way. I've seen quite a few white vans blocking the progress of ambulances on the M6 over the last 5 years of my commute, I'm sure that's because they're not using their mirrors and have the radio up full blast.

I've also seen some embarrassing episodes from panic stricken drivers that over compensate and mount pavements damaging their cars in the process. Ouch it makes me wince with embarrassment for them

Reactions: Phil-1