AGU Starting/MAF Help Appreciated

Pubemammal

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have an A3 with the AGU engine which has recently developed this problem.

Engine turns, fires once and dies. Smells of petrol in and around the car.

Keep key turned and accelerator pressed and it starts on the second attempt (every time).

Unplug MAF and engine starts fine. No petrol smell.

However, this is now my third MAF, two Bosch and one Chinese copy (current MAF). They seem to fix the issue for about two weeks then it returns.

Is there a reason that my car is either killing MAF's, or perhaps it is a different issue?

I have already changed spark plugs, cleaned throttle body, changed air filter, oil, three MAF's.

Here is a video of the problem. Any help would be great as I'm running out of ideas. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mine has been doing exactly this! It has gotten progressively worse, up to the point where it won't start no matter how many times I try...Took it to a garage, turned out to be the throttle position sensor inside the throttle body. Have you got access to a spare you could try?

Temporary fix on mine has been to open up the TB, clean the angle sensor tracks and fingers, and that worked for about 3 weeks... next time it refused to start I smacked the side cover on the TB with the back of a screwdriver, and it's been fine since (this was last Monday).

One thing that's different in my situation, is that unplugging the MAF made no difference...

Reactions: Pubemammal
Mine has been doing exactly this! It has gotten progressively worse, up to the point where it won't start no matter how many times I try...Took it to a garage, turned out to be the throttle position sensor inside the throttle body. Have you got access to a spare you could try?

Temporary fix on mine has been to open up the TB, clean the angle sensor tracks and fingers, and that worked for about 3 weeks... next time it refused to start I smacked the side cover on the TB with the back of a screwdriver, and it's been fine since (this was last Monday).

One thing that's different in my situation, is that unplugging the MAF made no difference...
Hey bud thanks for your reply. I never thought of the throttle position sensor good shout. However I went to euro car parts this morning and got another MAF to try. It's working fine at the moment so hopefully this one lasts. If not, I will definitely try the TPS if it worked for you! Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk