A3 strange noise, no idea from where

Jefflad

Reaction score
I appreciate this is vague but thought I'd ask the question in case anyone had experienced it.

A3 09 sportback 1.9 TDIe. Driving on motorway yesterday, in the area of 70mph and I heard a noise that felt like it came somewhere from the accelerator to the back of my seat on the driver's side. The noise was almost like a rubbery ball, pipe hitting the side of the car.

Didn't see anything on the road before or after the noise but pulled over to have a look. Not easy to see but everything seemed OK, put it down to something hitting me rather than mechanical.

120 miles later another noise, similar speed but very much a metallic noise, same area and as if I'd dropped a spanner on the road below the car. Checked rear view and saw nothing bouncing down the road. Pulled over again but as best I could see, nothing.

When driving everything in the whole seemed OK, maybe a bit of wobble on steering wheel from 65mph so kept it at 60 for the 70 miles home and listening to it did sound a bit whirry... Possibly I'm looking for issues at this point but got it home and will ring the garage tomorrow.

Anyone have any insight to this or far too vague?

J

Can you get it on a ramp and have a good look underneath?

I can only only think of 2 things it could be. You have probably come to the same conclusion. Either something fell off your car or debris from the road stuck the underside of your car causing damage.

I can only only think of 2 things it could be. You have probably come to the same conclusion. Either something fell off your car or debris from the road stuck the underside of your car causing damage.

Yeah, I do believe it's a matter of the garage looking at it and letting me know the bad news :(

Looks like it could be the suspension spring that's broke, obvious break and the spring can be moved by hand when jacked up... Would that give a whirring noise and judder on steering wheel?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    947.4 KB · Views: 83
If a wobble came and all else in suspension looks OK it may of been a wheel weight fell off.