Audi A4 Avant Sport

firebits

A4 Avant Sport 1.4 TFSI
Reaction score
I have my new A4 and this is my first Audi. Nice car, I like a lot of it, but there are a few areas of concern. Any suggestions welcome.

Seats: I had to go for a stock option, I thought I was making a compromise with cloth but lumbar support too? I took it as a granted that most car seats had this, now my back is suffering for it. Can something be retro fitted?

Parking Sensors: Seriously Audi, in a car featuring so much technology the best you can do is a beep? And btw, the beep only goes solid when you are about 6" away from something solid. A tad sharp. Can I atleast VDCS a display?

Old school cruise control also annoys me but other than these things I'm happy with it. But, coming from a 2012 Skoda Superb that was only mid-spec it still did somethings a bit better than its newer, ultra modernist cousin.

Lastly, has anyone had their seats re-apholstered in an Audi? I miss leather, can the Audi leather upholstery be ordered and retro fitted?

For the parking sensors you can enable the screen to show your distance as well. There is a good guide for this on the A3 forum. It will be a similar mod for the A4

I imagine you'd be able to order leather seats and rear bench but it would cost more than originally spec'ing them. Maybe look at getting the S-Line specc'd ones as they come with lumbar as standard.

Don't take this the wrong way but why didn't you just go for an S-Line model that has these things as standard instead of having to retrofit them all that will likely end up costing more than the £1,500 difference between the two spec levels?

I'm assuming that you just presumed it came with both and are now having to play catch up?

Don't take this the wrong way but why didn't you just go for an S-Line model that has these things as standard instead of having to retrofit them all that will likely end up costing more than the £1,500 difference between the two spec levels?

I'm assuming that you just presumed it came with both and are now having to play catch up?

It's a long story, the car I ordered in February didn't happen (this story has been exhausted already on a Skoda Forum). I was 4 weeks without a car because of it. I wanted the 1.4 TSI Engine instead of another diesel and I've really just grabbed something from available new stock. I hope a Lumbar Support can be retro fitted, it will be a real issue if it can't.

Gotcha, totally understand then. Shame you didn't end up with the S-Line to save you the hassle but at the same time it gives you something to play with on your car and make it a little bit special, which is always fun! :)

Reactions: firebits
Pays not to hurry and make the right choice to start with as some these things could end up costing you more to retro fit...

Pays not to hurry and make the right choice to start with as some these things could end up costing you more to retro fit...

As I say, the A4 wasn't my first choice. I was caught up in Skoda UK's decision to block sales of Superb's placed via an online broker, 10 days before delivery. Skoda put the orders on hold for a month before saying that they would not honour the original deals. By the time it came to ordering I had been without a car for 4 weeks, the decision after a successful test drive was really between colours in stock rather than added features. I wasn't aware that there was no Lumbar support available as standard, if I can get this done I'd be happy to keep the cloth if changing this is not feasible - it's far from uncomfortable.

With the 1.4 TFSI engine Sport is the highest trim level, you can't have S-Line.

The lumbar support is something I miss too.

I can see why they didn't have S-tronic with the 1.4 TFSI as it's a new powerplant, but can't think why you can't spec S-Line?!?

The Superb I had ordered was the 1.4 TSI SE-L with ACT (COD) and a 7 speed DSG, electronic leather seats and lumbar support, ACC as standard. I added active dampers and a few other things, someone is getting an excellent car at A4 Sport money.

I've taken the A4 to my chiropractor and he has taken me through setting up the seat for good posture. He's not so fussed about lumbar supports. His view is that it's impossible for manufacturers to make a lumbar support that's position is correct for everyone. It's made a considerable difference to my back already, hopefully in a few days all will be well.

Other gripes, Driver Assistance display does absolutely nothing, not a thing. What's it supposed to do other than remind me of bits my car doesn't have. And voice control, Jesus Christ - the number of times I tried to call my partner today and the Audi tried to take me to Cheasdale. I ended up switching to Siri.

What did he recommend for your seating position out of interest?

When you say Driver Assistance display do you mean the icon of a foot on a pedal with an arrow?

Haven't tried the Audi voice control yet, I've stuck to Siri with Carplay which works really well. Its also quite nice switching between the Audi Nav with Google Earth, which bombards you with information, and Apple Maps which is very simplistic.

Image attached.

Drivers seat. Make the seat as level as possible. Lie the back rest away from you, sit upright and bring the back rest up to support your position. Stretch out arms so that your wrists are sitting on the top of the steering wheel with arms straight. You should feel like you are sitting far more upright than normal.

I got a quote for a 3rd party electronic lumbar support retro fit. £600!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    967.9 KB · Views: 252
Good bits though: ride smooth, very quiet, still sporty but not bone shaking at all. Handling seems good. Standard dash, not the nVidia games console but the one with real dials is excellent. Brakes - haven't had an opportunity to try them but they look chunky. I almost got a pedal car in the boot today. Sitting in the A4 at night, makes me as giddy as a child.

I have my new A4 and this is my first Audi. Nice car, I like a lot of it, but there are a few areas of concern. Any suggestions welcome.

Seats: I had to go for a stock option, I thought I was making a compromise with cloth but lumbar support too? I took it as a granted that most car seats had this, now my back is suffering for it. Can something be retro fitted?

Parking Sensors: Seriously Audi, in a car featuring so much technology the best you can do is a beep? And btw, the beep only goes solid when you are about 6" away from something solid. A tad sharp. Can I atleast VDCS a display?

Old school cruise control also annoys me but other than these things I'm happy with it. But, coming from a 2012 Skoda Superb that was only mid-spec it still did somethings a bit better than its newer, ultra modernist cousin.

Lastly, has anyone had their seats re-apholstered in an Audi? I miss leather, can the Audi leather upholstery be ordered and retro fitted?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200514-204144.png
    Screenshot_20200514-204144.png
    508.9 KB · Views: 111
I also have no lumbar support in my 2016 a4 sport. The seat is horrible. Got this yesterday, it gives support just need to get used to it