Thoughts on "radical" coloured cars?

replicant71

Reaction score
Hi folks, was just interested to know what you all think of cars which have fairly rare and bright colours? Like yellow, orange, green etc.

Personally, I think some of these colours look amazing, however, I'm not sure that I would be brave enough to actually own one myself. When I was searching for my S3, I almost settled on a Java Green one but at the last minute I bottled out and went with the more "safer" Sepang Blue lol.

My worry with these colours is that does it make the car more of a "target" and likely to get vandalised etc? Also, they are quite "shouty" colours and scream look at me! I'm probably someone who prefers to just blend in with others.

Having said all that, I still think these colours look fantastic!

Reactions: fastfield and SW14NY'S
very tempted to this for my next colour tbh ......

e8b8fb55fc32feaa9a8185888ff70267.jpg

www.supercarsofscotland.co.uk
Twitter: @supercarsofSCOT
Instagram: supercarsofscotland_uk

Reactions: SmileyS3, xpoweruk, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Exactly, that looks brilliant, I do love it, but would I actually buy it??

Reactions: SW14NY'S
I went Panther Black on my S3 but wish I had got something a bit different....I'm looking to change to an RS3 when they become available to order again so it'll be the 'free' cost yellow or exclusive orange

8584e799974cae32e860c6bb0a203bb7.jpg

www.supercarsofscotland.co.uk
Twitter: @supercarsofSCOT
Instagram: supercarsofscotland_uk

Reactions: xpoweruk, Jassyo06 and SpeedyFrog
I prefer the yellow than the orange. The TTS's look great in the yellow too.

Depends on the car...

Reactions: Bristle Hound
The residuals on radical colours are not as good - they are harder to sell because they appeal to a smaller audience. Therefore, they are likely to be 'dead stock' for longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: steeve
The residuals on radical colours are not as good - they are harder to sell because they appeal to a smaller audience. Therefore, they are likely to be 'dead stock' for longer.

Eh....l think you'll find its the total opposite,most of these colours are a expensive option and being so,are priced accordingly and hold there value pretty well as they are rare,and very sought after especially on a S/RS car,like Viper Green,Solar Orange,Nogaro blue,Voodoo blue,Porsche Riviera Blue...these all originate from Porsche paint colours.

The standard signal colour like Vegas yellow on some models like on the TTS may hang around a little longer on the forecourt like you said

Reactions: AllBlack-All7 and SW14NY'S
Eh....l think you'll find its the total opposite,most of these colours are a expensive option and being so,are priced accordingly and hold there value pretty well as they are rare,and very sought after especially on a S/RS car,like Viper Green,Solar Orange,Nogaro blue,Voodoo blue,Porsche Riviera Blue...these all originate from Porsche paint colours.

The standard signal colour like Vegas yellow on some models like on the TTS may hang around a little longer on the forecourt like you said

Fair point when talking about the rare colours on rare cars as you say. But I think my argument still stands foe a bright yellow S3.

Fair point when talking about the rare colours on rare cars as you say. But I think my argument still stands foe a bright yellow S3.

It's subjective, hate that word but it's true,typical example is a Vegas yellow TTS there's a good few on the approved Audi website, why because like you said it won't be to most people's taste but also the colour doesn't do much for the car at all,Vegas will look, does look far better on a S3 hatch/sportback than it does on the TTS,another prime example of this paint colour scenario is Nardo grey, now it ain't a bright in your face paint colour but it does cause debates

The standard signal colour like banana yellow on some models like on the TTS may hang around a little longer on the forecourt like you said
@jassyo06 - Thats better ! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Max-Robbo, Jassyo06 and SW14NY'S
It's subjective, hate that word but it's true,typical example is a Vegas yellow TTS there's a good few on the approved Audi website, why because like you said it won't be to most people's taste but also the colour doesn't do much for the car at all,Vegas will look, does look far better on a S3 hatch/sportback than it does on the TTS,another prime example of this paint colour scenario is Nardo grey, now it ain't a bright in your face paint colour but it does cause debates

Each to there own, I hate Vegas yellow on an S3 but love it on the TTS

As everyone says residuals are poorer but if you are buying 2nd hand its to your advantage

Biggest problem with stand out colours is they attract even more unwanted attention from everyone....boy racer to white van man to Company car 3 series BMW owners to the local plod... The Vegas TTS I had on loan was spoilt by the amount of unwanted attention it got, akin to annoying wasps and bees on your beer on a sunny Sunday pub stop

Reactions: SW14NY'S, Jassyo06 and replicant71
Each to there own, I hate Vegas yellow on an S3 but love it on the TTS

As everyone says residuals are poorer but if you are buying 2nd hand its to your advantage

Biggest problem with stand out colours is they attract even more unwanted attention from everyone....boy racer to white van man to Company car 3 series BMW owners to the local plod... The Vegas TTS I had on loan was spoilt by the amount of unwanted attention it got, akin to annoying wasps and bees on your beer on a sunny Sunday pub stop

Stay out the beer gardens then....lol old grumpy drawers..lol

Reactions: Daveotto and SW14NY'S
BANG....

A  awesome rs6

BANG BANG
A sprint Blue rs6 1

BANG BANG BANG..LOL

Baby bloo saloon 2

Oh you Chitty Chitty BANG BANG we love...YOU...LOL
Exclusive Java Green

Near far everywhere a car is what we do....PMSL...
HighResImage 1
HighResImage 6

bang bang chitty chitty bang bang....
HighResImage 7

Pause for second verse lol

Most expensive 6

Lost me voice..lol

Nice1

Still lost it....lol

Opinions 1

BORED...with that song...
R8 VEGAS YELLA

Vegas yellow s3 3dr  2

And here comes the show stopping finally...lol

the one and only chitty chitty bang bang Viper Greenioso

Viper Green RS3 1

Viper Green RS3 2

All stunning and in your face cars....

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, MattSedg, Max-Robbo and 1 other person
BANG....

View attachment 95974
BANG BANG
View attachment 95976

BANG BANG BANG..LOL

View attachment 95977

Oh you Chitty Chitty BANG BANG we love...YOU...LOL
View attachment 95978
Near far everywhere a car is what we do....PMSL...
View attachment 95979 View attachment 95980

bang bang chitty chitty bang bang....
View attachment 95981

Pause for second verse lol

View attachment 95982

Lost me voice..lol

View attachment 95983

Still lost it....lol

View attachment 95984

BORED...with that song...
View attachment 95986

View attachment 95988

And here comes the show stopping finally...lol

the one and only chitty chitty bang bang Viper Greenioso

View attachment 95990

View attachment 95992

All stunning and in your face cars....
Lol...
Cheers jassy that cheered me right up you 'tartan loony'.Some great looking cars there.... :friends:

Reactions: slepy and Jassyo06
Not too keen myself. Especially this one...

radical-sr3-sl-c495612092015141903_3.jpg

Reactions: AllBlack-All7, Bristle Hound, richinsoton and 1 other person
eyebrow raised....say that's a nice bike

556f9e8ef9audir8.jpg

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
I think most of these colours work very well but they need to be only available on RS/S models or in the case of BMW M models.

Making them available on standard models dilutes the special nature of them, and frankly a standard A3 or 3 series looks stupid in one of these colours.

Reactions: Max-Robbo and SpeedyFrog
I think most of these colours work very well but they need to be only available on RS/S models or in the case of BMW M models.

Making them available on standard models dilutes the special nature of them, and frankly a standard A3 or 3 series looks stupid in one of these colours.
seems a good time to re-post this
Greeen

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Jassyo06

Yeah l totally agree,it could dilute the image,most exclusive painted coloured Audi car's are RS models,and only a tiny percentage are S models mainly,but when a certain model range is nearing it's end of production,Audi themselves fire out a lot car's in exclusive colours just for more showroom appeal.

Reactions: pburv
I have to say when I worked at Audi, almost everything apart from an RS5 which was in an exclusive colour ended up being reduced constantly until it sold, we had an A3 cab in like Porsche Riviera blue and they ended up discounting it nearly £10k until it sold! Believe it or not, the most easily sellable colour was PINK! Genuinely the minute a car came in, it whizzed round social media like crazy and sold within a week or 2! Not for me I'm afraid, no matter what kind of car it is, Audi or not.

Reactions: SW14NY'S and pburv
I have to say when I worked at Audi, almost everything apart from an RS5 which was in an exclusive colour ended up being reduced constantly until it sold, we had an A3 cab in like Porsche Riviera blue and they ended up discounting it nearly £10k until it sold! Believe it or not, the most easily sellable colour was PINK! Genuinely the minute a car came in, it whizzed round social media like crazy and sold within a week or 2! Not for me I'm afraid, no matter what kind of car it is, Audi or not.
Last time l was in Glasgow Audi they never had any exclusive colours in the showroom,but it's not just exclusive paint cars that sit long, high spec cars can also sit in the showroom for a good while like this £48000 TTS if they don't sell after awhile they can he farmed out management as demo's
DSC 0302

Reactions: AllBlack-All7, SW14NY'S and pburv
Safe to say I like my 'radical' colours . . .

Reactions: rvtb101, AllBlack-All7, Max-Robbo and 8 others
Sadly I agree that some of the more 'striking' colours do mean that residuals do suffer. Its about reducing the 'opportunity to sell'. Whilst they may be great to look at there is a reduction in the number of potential buyers. This reduces the residual value even if its an extra cost option.

Sadly I agree that some of the more 'striking' colours do mean that residuals do suffer. Its about reducing the 'opportunity to sell'. Whilst they may be great to look at there is a reduction in the number of potential buyers. This reduces the residual value even if its an extra cost option.
I disagree just look at the the price of demonstrators on the Audi approved site, on the right cars they hold they're price very well indeed, solar orange and Riviera Blue being the most popular colours and l don't class these as radical colours at all,look at other brand of car's and you will see similar colours fiat 500,Corsa,seat it's just Audi charge you extra if you don't a want they're standard run of the Mill colours.
If these are to be classed radical colour's then all the standard colours could be classed as downright Boring colours,which they're more or less are

Beauty is in the eye..... n all that swaddling...

Reactions: pburv and SW14NY'S
Audi will always charge the extra but trying chopping one in on a PX, that special colour wont mean s^%$t to them then. Until they come to sell it on of course.

Anyways, I'm quite taken with the deep oranges for some unknown reason.

Audi will always charge the extra but trying chopping one in on a PX, that special colour wont mean s^%$t to them then. Until they come to sell it on of course.

Anyways, I'm quite taken with the deep oranges for some unknown reason.
Why would you want to trade you're car into Audi, when you can always sell it on yourself? A suppose out of convenience possible? ....the orange does have more appeal over the others

I guess it's all down to individual preference, if everyone agreed we'd all be driving the same colour cars.

I'm with jassy on the residual side though, you stand a better chance of getting good money knowing you own 1 of only a handful of certain colour/spec. Sure you might be targeting a smaller audience but nice cars will always make nice money.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Bristle Hound, pburv and 1 other person
I guess I'm a rare weirdo, but re-sale value/residuals etc mean absolutely nothing to me when considering any element of buying a car. Be colour, specc etc.
I just can't prioritise the "getting rid" process of a car I haven't even got yet. To me a car is a not an investment or real world asset. So buying one is never a logical, long reaching headache like buying a house. My ultimate basis for a car are that it serves my needs of a car while making me as happy as possible doing so. End of.
The day I outgrow it's services or the pleasure of ownership wanes, then I'll look to find something else at that time.
So, if a bright pearlescent orange juice Q7 is what tickles my fancy, I but I end up not getting it in that colour, its residuals or how hard it will be to re-sell will NOT ever be the reason why I'd dint get that colour.
(more often than not, it'll be the rift-valley deep scowl of the Mrs that's the deal breaker!).

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SW14NY'S, Max-Robbo, pburv and 2 others
Why would you want to trade you're car into Audi, when you can always sell it on yourself? A suppose out of convenience possible? ....the orange does have more appeal over the others
Isn't it a headache to privately sell a car that is on a PCP?

Isn't it a headache to privately sell a car that is on a PCP?

Nope.... Coulda sold it,ten times over still could if l had the right car to jump into?

A phone call to Audi finance

Reactions: SW14NY'S, pburv and SpeedyFrog
The dealer I got mine at said the burgundy colour available on the A3 was one of the hardest ones to shift.

Nope.... Coulda sold it,ten times over still could if l had the right car to jump into?

A phone call to Audi finance
Apologies for the noob question but I've never sold a car privately. What is the best way to go about it? Autotrader? How do you usually handle payments? The GMFV on my Audi is about £10,500 and I would expect to get at least £13,500 privately whereas Audi won't offer me anywhere near that. But do you trust a stranger with your bank details to make a bank transfer? Can you make the sale and then tell Audi Finance or do you have to tell them in advance? If someone does a check on the car won't it flag up as being on finance?