S5 Detail and ODK Wax review

DrEskimo

Reaction score
Some members from DW will likely have seen this already, but thought I would post it here as well for those interested in some detailing products and techniques I use, as well as some glamour shots of my Sepang S5 :)

Right, so after being kindly selected to try out ODK Revere I decided to take more photos than usual and document my detailing session of my pride & joy, a 65 plate Audi S5. Had it for about 7months now and just ticked over 6k miles. Love it to pieces and love the colour to pieces. Don't care how common it is on S Audi's!!

So may car hasn't been washed in a fair few weeks. It was wearing a coat of Pete's 53 that was applied about 3months ago, as well as a couple of squirts of BSD/V7 mix after the last 2 washes. It was probably on its last legs, but I decided to use a few products to strip as much as I could to give the ODK Revere wax a clean slate to work on.

Here is the car before I began:

I got myself a tool bag from Screwfix in the morning and was happy with the way it could hold pretty much all my regular washing kit :)

My strategy for this wash was to hit it with three products before contact washing to reduce time, and strip as much of the old LSP as possible. Started with APC (CG Nonsense mixed 10:1) which I used on the wheels and lower parts and front bumper.

Yuck :censored:

Thanks to CarPro Quartz, A spray of APC and then jet wash got the wheels 90% there :)

I planned to use VP citrus pre wash as the weapon of choice, but I stupidly forgot it, so had to go with snow foam. This was KKD Blizzard in a foam lance.

Not as thick as usual...think my foam lance needs looking at...

Got my buckets ready while I let this dwell (although the sun did mean I couldn't leave it as long as I wanted :()

After a rinse, I then attacked the car with EZcare Tar remover and Iron X on the wheels (did that prior to snow foam, hence the 'raspberry ripple effect' in the snow foam pic).

Looked as though this pre-wash routine got rid of most of the LSP.

Used the remaining foam and then got to washing with CarChem 1900:1 (Bilberry scent) and my Dooka wash mitt using 2BM.

My Megs Lambswool mitt for the lower parts gave up the ghost though :mad:

Open hose rinse after washing and then dried with my LE Silverback XL towel.

Looked nice and clean and was still pretty glossy thanks to how new the car was, and my previous polishing sessions.

For those still doubting the 2BM...I think tis tells you all you need to know...! No grit guards, CBA with them anymore!

I then went around the car using a 1:1 IPA mix in my Panel wipe bottle to get rid of anything else on the paint before wax. Would of liked to have done a 1stage polish, but dont have the time atm...

And now to the star of the show! ODK Revere!

Very generous 50ml pot and it smells stunning. Very similar to CG Hybrid V7, with a nice orange citrus smell.

Tried to apply an nice even layer. Annoyingly I have a couple of UFO applicator pads on order, but won't come till tomorrow. Hate how the wax builds up in the silk edge on these applicators...

Once applied, went out for a pub lunch with the family, so it probably was left for about 1hr...maybe too long, or maybe perfect I dont know! It passed the smear test though, so once I got back it was time to buff off with my EZcar care Korean super fluffy MF towel :)

Finishing touches to the wheels with CG trim gel. Don't really rate this, but have loads left!! Its too greasy and I feel like I have to reapply after every wash...its my most hated detailing task!

Much better!

Also went around bufffing the windows and getting the details sorted with my BSD/V7 mix....I had to use it as I love it!

And now the results...

Excuse my brother posing...

In all, I found ODK really easy to work with and smelt amazing. Application was simple and it easily melted onto the sponge to apply a nice thin layer.

Buffing off is slightly harder than Pete's 53 (the only other wax I can compare to personally), but thats probably because Pete's has no cure time. Maybe an Hour was far too long cure time wise, so could of been easier after just 30mins? The sun beating down maybe didn't help things....was ****** annoying chasing around the car making sure the water and soap didn't dry on!!!

Anyway, thanks again ODK and hope thats a decent review of the product. Will be using it when I give the GF Mini Cooper in Pepper White a long over due detail in the near future!

My dad did apply some to his White Lexus in the background, but it was hardly methodical and the car was still a bit dirty so didn't want to taint our product with those biased results!!! It did look more glossy after though :thumb:

Cheers!

Reactions: kwstantinosk89, TDI-line, Max-Robbo and 5 others
Some members from DW will likely have seen this already, but thought I would post it here as well for those interested in some detailing products and techniques I use, as well as some glamour shots of my Sepang S5 :)

Right, so after being kindly selected to try out ODK Revere I decided to take more photos than usual and document my detailing session of my pride & joy, a 65 plate Audi S5. Had it for about 7months now and just ticked over 6k miles. Love it to pieces and love the colour to pieces. Don't care how common it is on S Audi's!!

So may car hasn't been washed in a fair few weeks. It was wearing a coat of Pete's 53 that was applied about 3months ago, as well as a couple of squirts of BSD/V7 mix after the last 2 washes. It was probably on its last legs, but I decided to use a few products to strip as much as I could to give the ODK Revere wax a clean slate to work on.

Here is the car before I began:

I got myself a tool bag from Screwfix in the morning and was happy with the way it could hold pretty much all my regular washing kit :)

My strategy for this wash was to hit it with three products before contact washing to reduce time, and strip as much of the old LSP as possible. Started with APC (CG Nonsense mixed 10:1) which I used on the wheels and lower parts and front bumper.

Yuck :censored:

Thanks to CarPro Quartz, A spray of APC and then jet wash got the wheels 90% there :)

I planned to use VP citrus pre wash as the weapon of choice, but I stupidly forgot it, so had to go with snow foam. This was KKD Blizzard in a foam lance.

Not as thick as usual...think my foam lance needs looking at...

Got my buckets ready while I let this dwell (although the sun did mean I couldn't leave it as long as I wanted :()

After a rinse, I then attacked the car with EZcare Tar remover and Iron X on the wheels (did that prior to snow foam, hence the 'raspberry ripple effect' in the snow foam pic).

Looked as though this pre-wash routine got rid of most of the LSP.

Used the remaining foam and then got to washing with CarChem 1900:1 (Bilberry scent) and my Dooka wash mitt using 2BM.

My Megs Lambswool mitt for the lower parts gave up the ghost though :mad:

Open hose rinse after washing and then dried with my LE Silverback XL towel.

Looked nice and clean and was still pretty glossy thanks to how new the car was, and my previous polishing sessions.

For those still doubting the 2BM...I think tis tells you all you need to know...! No grit guards, CBA with them anymore!

I then went around the car using a 1:1 IPA mix in my Panel wipe bottle to get rid of anything else on the paint before wax. Would of liked to have done a 1stage polish, but dont have the time atm...

And now to the star of the show! ODK Revere!

Very generous 50ml pot and it smells stunning. Very similar to CG Hybrid V7, with a nice orange citrus smell.

Tried to apply an nice even layer. Annoyingly I have a couple of UFO applicator pads on order, but won't come till tomorrow. Hate how the wax builds up in the silk edge on these applicators...

Once applied, went out for a pub lunch with the family, so it probably was left for about 1hr...maybe too long, or maybe perfect I dont know! It passed the smear test though, so once I got back it was time to buff off with my EZcar care Korean super fluffy MF towel :)

Finishing touches to the wheels with CG trim gel. Don't really rate this, but have loads left!! Its too greasy and I feel like I have to reapply after every wash...its my most hated detailing task!

Much better!

Also went around bufffing the windows and getting the details sorted with my BSD/V7 mix....I had to use it as I love it!

And now the results...

Excuse my brother posing...

In all, I found ODK really easy to work with and smelt amazing. Application was simple and it easily melted onto the sponge to apply a nice thin layer.

Buffing off is slightly harder than Pete's 53 (the only other wax I can compare to personally), but thats probably because Pete's has no cure time. Maybe an Hour was far too long cure time wise, so could of been easier after just 30mins? The sun beating down maybe didn't help things....was ****** annoying chasing around the car making sure the water and soap didn't dry on!!!

Anyway, thanks again ODK and hope thats a decent review of the product. Will be using it when I give the GF Mini Cooper in Pepper White a long over due detail in the near future!

My dad did apply some to his White Lexus in the background, but it was hardly methodical and the car was still a bit dirty so didn't want to taint our product with those biased results!!! It did look more glossy after though :thumb:

Cheers!
@DrEskimo - Great write up & great results Doc ! :thumbs up:

Gotta love that colour! :D

Just noticed that you've changed the alu effect S mirrors on your S5. Any reason?

Reactions: DrEskimo
@DrEskimo - Great write up & great results Doc ! :thumbs up:

Gotta love that colour! :D

Just noticed that you've changed the alu effect S mirrors on your S5. Any reason?

Cheers BH! Cant stop staring at it in the sun :D

Yea I specced the mirror covers to be body coloured when I ordered it. Never been a fan of them and not fussed about making sure people know its a 'S' so...

I saw a RS7 in Sepang with CF mirrors in the showroom and was tempted to buy some of those...

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Fantastic finish, the flake pop is so good.

I was gutted I got overlooked on the samples, your car was a worthy choice though. I'm in the midst of buying a load of new products as I'm back in the detailing mood with this car, I fear waxstock will be an expensive one!

Fantastic finish, the flake pop is so good.

I was gutted I got overlooked on the samples, your car was a worthy choice though. I'm in the midst of buying a load of new products as I'm back in the detailing mood with this car, I fear waxstock will be an expensive one!

Cheers buddy! Well based on this sample, I would recommend ODK waxes!

Stunning! I did see this on DW and thought it was fantastic in the sun! Do detail for a quick one as well!

Looks mint! Love KKD products too, you should try there exhibition wax, gives a very wet effect

Reactions: DrEskimo
Looks mint! Love KKD products too, you should try there exhibition wax, gives a very wet effect

Thanks matey!

Yea I do like their range of products! I actually have a bottle of ECO-Shield ceramic that I haven't applied yet! As soon as I get some time to finish the last bits of correction and the weather holds out I will be stripping this wax and getting it sealed for the long term.