S3 Rear Brake Upgrade - Will any calliper fit?

Parf7

Reaction score
I intend to upgrade the brakes on my S3, Brembos on the front and I want to upgrade the rear. I have got a set of Brembo rear callipers off my Mitsubishi Evo and wondered if I could get them to fit!

In theory can you get any caliper to fit any car provided you manufactured a custom mounting bracket?

Does anyone know the rear disc size on the S3? And the distance between centres of the mounting holes on the S3's existing rear callipers?

In theory I suppose yes you could fit any caliper to any car, but you would need the disc, pad and caliper to be matched in order to caheive the correct braking efficiency.

Rear discs for the S3 are 256x22mm, and I have no idea of the mounting hole spacing etc.

Gambba,

You have given me enough incentive to look into it further - Cheers

What about the hand brake, how does it operate on an S3? Does it use the main calliper or is there an additional one?

The S3's basically the same as any coventional handbrake setup is done on brake discs as far as I can tell. Just uses the wheel caliper and a mechanism for application of the pads.

Don’t forget my friend that you could be over braking on the rear and that could have disastrous effects! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
It could easily cause you to rotate very quickly when hard braking!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Therefore the only advice that I can give to you is if you do and it all seems to fit and work test it out on a straight wide piece of road to check out any potential problems. ‘cause you could end up facing your own rear end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif, and we don’t want that. do we? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

Also I think you may need to consider the brake force distribution valve that the S3 has IIRC.

a cut paste from another post i answered...

MOVIT rears acutually require 2 calipers. 1 to do just the handbrake action....

regarding the brembo handbrake caliper.

They were always very difficult to get hold of, and as i think i am correct in saying you cannot get them anymore.

last time i spoke to Kim Collins - QSTuning(MTM), he put the last set he had on the RS4 powered -S3 he built.

but it may be worth speaking to either QStuning who use Movit or AmD who use Porsche, as they have both used these calipers in the past as part of their kit.

Personally, apart from cosmetic, i cant see the point in the increased expense. They are even more expensive than the front Porkers (i have these on my S3) as it requires a second caliper for handbrake.

rear brakes are biased anyway, and only supply approx 20% of the total braking force.
So huge brakes on the rear are an overkill.