What is this for?

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
intercooler.jpg

What is this black plastic cover for? (highlighted with carefully drawn red line!) Does it serve a main purpose? This pic is taken from my N/S front fog.

If i remove this would this make much difference to the air flow to my intercooler? Or would re-housing my fogs lights elsewhere free up more air flow?

Cheers.

are you on about the slotted cover already removed or the grey plate highlighted. if you can remove the grey plate then yes it will feed more air to the intercooler as you can see its hiding most of it. its a crap place for the cooler anyway audi should have stuck it out front in the first place.

so what about removing 2/3 of the duct from the right hand side so it will still have some plastic forcing the air towards the ic.

Where else can the fog be mounted or wpuld it be a case of losing them altogether?

anyone got any pics of their s4 with the fogs removed? just want to see what it would look like.

Dan

Looks like it's there to direct the air diaginally TO the IC, rather than hindering it :)

i bought these from vagparts grilles without fogs, i had standard a4 bumper and when i put the s4 ones on it i noticed a big difference in pulling power

http://www.vagparts.co.uk

dsc00364.jpg

It will also probably affect the engine cooling. you'll find that with the extra airflow the engnie will run slightly cooler. It's the same if you take the plastic shield under the engine off the extra airflow means the engine runs cooler.

enda1 said:
It's the same if you take the plastic shield under the engine off the extra airflow means the engine runs cooler.

Again, as I understand it (as advised by an Audi Tuner), those under-trays have louvres that direct cold air TO the engine bay.

I always pull the crappy Vauxhall ones off, but my Audi one is staying firmly put :)

Dan.

I'm just talking from the experience i've had with my auid's after i service them. if I leave the undertrays off the engine runs cooler particularly whens its raining as much more water gets onto the engine block and cools it.
I think you're right about the cover deflecting air onto the intercooler. If its removed all the air thats getting forced onto the intercooler will bypass it and the cooling effect will be less.

enda1 said:
Dan.

I'm just talking from the experience i've had with my auid's after i service them. if I leave the undertrays off the engine runs cooler particularly whens its raining as much more water gets onto the engine block and cools it.
I think you're right about the cover deflecting air onto the intercooler. If its removed all the air thats getting forced onto the intercooler will bypass it and the cooling effect will be less.

Yeah, I know what you're saying dude, and I'm certainly not trying to be a know it all ;)

Every Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Peugeot that I've had (that's had one) has had it's engine undertray removed by me for the very resons you've stated :) (along with any under-BONNET felt/soundproofing etc too).

It's just that when I was about to rip the one off the Audi, the Audi tuner (who must remain nameless as I use his mechanic services privately away from the company LOL) recommended I leave this one on. I've never had an Audi before, and I don't know if they are any different on an S4 compared to other models, but he mentioned some louvres or something that actually AID airflow up to the engine.

I'll give him a bell so as I haven't just got half a story LOL!! :beerchug:

Paul.

stop ***** flying up into your enhine bay and prevents unnessecary corrosion etc. if you want open up air flow to your side intercooler you need to create an exit as much as an entrance. the standard (on some models) louvered whell arch liner is pants!