2013 S3 8V 3 door test drive

daveb77

Reaction score
Hi folks, taking a test drive today, car looks in perfect condition, 18.5k miles. Any obvious things to look / listen for? S tronic as well.
Full service history etc etc. Just struggling to find any warranty recall issues with the 8V, likely none but just checking to see if I can spot that these have been undertaken.
Has B&O, Comfort, lighting, hold assist, front / back sensors, etc... No tech pack but im cool with that as coming form a B7 RS4 it will still be lights years ahead.

Any info appreciated,
Cheers
D

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Usual ones, dark colours are prone to stonechips,alloys are easily marked,rear hub rust,front seat side bolster suffer badly from creasing,yeah all superficial but some cars will be able n better condition than others,what's the asking price if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
No recalls on the sportback or 3 door only the saloon has had a recall for its rear suspension mounts

Not Audi Used Approved? Couldn't spot a 3dr with that mileage on there

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Hi folks, taking a test drive today, car looks in perfect condition, 18.5k miles. Any obvious things to look / listen for? S tronic as well.
Full service history etc etc. Just struggling to find any warranty recall issues with the 8V, likely none but just checking to see if I can spot that these have been undertaken.
Has B&O, Comfort, lighting, hold assist, front / back sensors, etc... No tech pack but im cool with that as coming form a B7 RS4 it will still be lights years ahead.

Any info appreciated,
Cheers
D

Dave,

All the usual checks apply when buying a used/ cherished secand hand car. Check Coolant levels and Oil levels especially on the S3. Some cars have had issues with these two points.

Coolant should be between the min and max lines. If its above the max on a cold engine the owner might have had issues previously and this is the first thing Audi advise to do. Ie overfill. There is a fix for this now (apparently) from Audi but depends if car still has warranty. Some of the early cars are starting to get close...63 plates etc

Oil usage. Some cars like to sip oil, this is nothing to worry about necessarily but just be aware. Oil should be clean

Ask the owner about these two points especially.

The DSG should be smooth in all modes and aggresive in Dynamic. It might be a little lumpy for 2 mins until oil is upto temp but otherwise it should be perfect.

Engine/Turbo rattle/rustle. You may notice a slight rustle noise when the car is under light load. This is normal, Golf R and S3 and even 1.8 and standard 2.0 TFSI turbo engines emit this noise. Audi still working on a poential fix.

Turbo - There was a batch of turbos which did have more chance of blowing. Manufacturing default etc. Do a forum search for numbers etc. Sorry I cant recall further info. But at 18k hopefully its all good by now. They tended to go pop pretty quick / early in life.

Service- S3 should be serviced yearly really or atleast have oil changed. Some cars were put on long life. So double check.

Exhaust tips. All four should be clean ideally, the inner two soot up quicker but this will help you see if the current owner truly loves his cars. Its one area a lot of people just dont clean.

Wheels- Check for kerbing. £120 circa to fix as diamond cut edges if standard wheels. £50 for a quick glance test fix.

Tyres - All S3's if on 18 wheels came with Conti Sport 5 tyres. I would have thought these would be up now so see what they have replaced them with. Michelin PS3/4 or Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy2/3 and Dunlop Sportmaxx all rated tyres for the car. Many owners actually dont like the Conti Sport 5. I had no issues with mine but changed for the sake of curiosity.

If you have VCDS ask to do a scan or take a £10 dongle with you from Amazon and perform a quick scan. You would be surprised what can flag up.

Ask the owner if they have completed any VCDS modifications? Popular items are - exhaust flaps/ alarm chirp/ windscreen wiper service etc.

Remaps- Ask the owner if the car has ever had a ECU remap or DSG TCU map. These are not necasarily bad things but you should be aware of them. And if car has had a proper ECU map then even if flashed back to stock it may well trigger a TD1 flag due to ECU count changing. Audi will pick this up if the car needs major engine / turbo warranty work. (TDI flag).

Ring up the Audi garage where the car has been serviced - check records and ask about the car. Give them the VIN so they know you are serious and they might throw some more light on the car. U can do this with the owner/ without.

I think you can tell a lot about the car from the owner. How its cared for, documentation on the car, and how they first drive the car. Step back and let them take the lead. Let your mind rule not your heart!!

All the best Dave... These cars dont have the same engine noise as the RS cars but they sure fly and are a very very pleasant place to be. A step above many other hot/ hyper hatches.

Regds
Jungle

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, lucas-suisse, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Agree with above. They all have hub rust but this tends to be superficial, albeit unsightly. Have a good inspection of the alloys and also at that mileage, original tyres will be coming to the end if their life. Paintwork wise, have a good inspection under artificial light if possible. Have a quick look at the coolant level......unlikely but some have weird coolant loss issues. Also have a good listen to the turbo at around 3k rpm. Again, unlikely but there have been complaints on here about rattles. Hope it's your dream car and what you're looking for. S3's are awesome.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Folks really appreciate the feedback cheers! Just heading off now, should have said its at a vw dealership, traded in, one owner full service etc. Looks impeccable via video sent by dealership. Will come with some vw official type warranty that is apparently as good as Audi official and I can use local dealership in Glasgow for any work. All history confirmed etc etc etc, via service schedule checks. If it's as good as it looks I can't wait. The RS4 was a monster and spent a fortune on it but just too much for my daily needs, had E46 M3 before that which again awsome but not a daily wolf and this was after 2010 Cupra R which I to this day regret selling! Stage 2 and ticked all boxes! Hope the S3 blows the Cupra memories away! I know it will!
Thanks again I'll check for all pointers but feel comfortable given its not sitting on a driveway but a forecourt if that makes sense?

D

Reactions: pburv, jaypers777, azibux1 and 1 other person

Any info appreciated,
Cheers
D
I too came from a b7 rs4
The sound is disappointing compared to the v8
Standard performance is very dull I'm afraid
Handling is a bit floaty compared to the rs4
The interior is a nice place to be especially if opted with super sports seats
The 2.0 turbo has loads of potential for tuning, it's very easy to get the car to 400hp, dsg box can be remaped too

Well........???????? Lol
Deposit paid!

Really really impressed. Not a V8 but what i am after, modern, flappy paddled, B&O, LED lit up classy wee machine! The S tronic is a joy too!
Ill get a proper report once i collect next week!
Need a proper detail though, had a life of local car washes...! swirled a bit!
D

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Nice! Congrats and don't forget pics! :p

Deposit paid!

Really really impressed. Not a V8 but what i am after, modern, flappy paddled, B&O, LED lit up classy wee machine! The S tronic is a joy too!
Ill get a proper report once i collect next week!
Need a proper detail though, had a life of local car washes...! swirled a bit!
D
Great news. So far as the detailing is concerned, worth finding a reputable detailer for paint correction and protection. It will look better than a new car for something like £300-£400 at a guess (depending on how much work involved). Money well spent and it will make it so easy for you to keep looking perfect. Looking forward to the pics.

Reactions: pburv, batch and Rob2k68
Great news. So far as the detailing is concerned, worth finding a reputable detailer for paint correction and protection. It will look better than a new car for something like £300-£400 at a guess (depending on how much work involved). Money well spent and it will make it so easy for you to keep looking perfect. Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers gents, yep a place in Port Glasgow Prestine Machine is on the cards. Epic work by them.
Cant wait now, just need to hold of an APR Stg1 for a while : )
Will post next week with initial first thoughts once i drive without salesman at my side!
D

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Scottyg and 2 others
Cheers gents, yep a place in Port Glasgow Prestine Machine is on the cards. Epic work by them.
Cant wait now, just need to hold of an APR Stg1 for a while : )
Will post next week with initial first thoughts once i drive without salesman at my side!
D

Greenock man or a Port man which are ye lol,l worked down at Nat Semi Conductors for years ....l know the neck of the woods very well...anyways yer happy,that's the main thing

Congrats on the new car ;o)

Reactions: pburv and batch
todays the day... Breakfast and update SD card to push the B&O on drive home and away I go...
Will report over weekend on first impressions, excited is not the word!
Just need to hold back on the APR 25% sale just now : )
D

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv, jaypers777 and 1 other person
todays the day... Breakfast and update SD card to push the B&O on drive home and away I go...
D
Forget the B&O on day 1. Stick it in Dynamic and drive through some tunnels with the windows open :racer:

Reactions: Rob2k68
D
Pics soon as matey..:friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
D

Cracking day for it !!

Let us know how you get on but most of all ENJOY !!!

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
daveb77.........last seen driving with a big smile on his face? No time for pics or idle chit chat on here??

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Sorry folks,

been an epic day all in. The S3 really blows the B7 RS4 out of the water, no joke. Maybe above daft speed its different but the feel, grip, confirnce, wee farts on up shift, amazing! sooooo happy!

on the suacejust now and having to work the morra but pics next week and some feedback on forst few dyas real life ownership will come. Got 42mpg on way home?
D

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Sorry folks,

been an epic day all in. The S3 really blows the B7 RS4 out of the water, no joke. Maybe above daft speed its different but the feel, grip, confirnce, wee farts on up shift, amazing! sooooo happy!

on the suacejust now and having to work the morra but pics next week and some feedback on forst few dyas real life ownership will come. Got 42mpg on way home?
D
Bet you thought mpg ever went far up as that after driving your RS4...:whistle2:
Looking forward to your pics...:footy:

Reactions: azibux1 and Rob2k68
No pics today had to go into work... To wet to wash but again my normal commute, 60mile round trip, motorway, A and B roads, 33mpg! I know its not what this car is about but wow! Really will provide me with best of both worlds, decent running costs for a daily car and a wee pocket rocket when required! Also, the s tronic on full chat is sublime, and noise on upshifts, loving it! Im always modding cars but really cant see me ever wanting more form this, although its early days of course : )
D

No pics today had to go into work... To wet to wash but again my normal commute, 60mile round trip, motorway, A and B roads, 33mpg! I know its not what this car is about but wow! Really will provide me with best of both worlds, decent running costs for a daily car and a wee pocket rocket when required! Also, the s tronic on full chat is sublime, and noise on upshifts, loving it! Im always modding cars but really cant see me ever wanting more form this, although its early days of course : )
D

Happy days - glad you're enjoying it !!

Mine remained standard for 6 months until the modding bug caught hold ;o)

Reactions: batch and pburv