Drivers window goes crunch after battery disconnected.

dg-1984

Reaction score
Basically I changed my steering wheel so the battery was disconnected because of airbag etc.
Fitted it all and took it a spin to check it and all was good.
In the morning jumped in my car and because of water on the front windows I put them down to clear them.
Tried both front switches together but they both didn't go down like they used to. So tried one at a time and it worked until the drivers window went down too far and then crunch and then wouldn't go up fully. Managed to get the window up and then later on in the day I took the door to bits to discover the regulator had snapped.
Is this coincidence or did the window go down too far breaking it?
How will I make sure it doesn't do it again when I fit the new one..

Just coincidence the regulator broke matey. Oh well, time to get the tools out again. I've used Eurocarparts for a regulator when mine broke a few years ago, was the same as the Audi oe one, just in a different box.
For the passenger side you just need to reset the auto wind function to get that going up and down again, automatically. Hold the switch in the down position until the window goes to the bottom and keep the switch operated for about 5 seconds, or until you hear the antitrap relay click, then let go of the switch. Do the same with the up switch and all should be as normal.

Reactions: dg-1984
I would have agreed with soot until the other day after my battery had died, I put my window down and it knocked the first time it went down.... Like it didn't know where it was supposed to stop?

Just coincidence the regulator broke matey. Oh well, time to get the tools out again. I've used Eurocarparts for a regulator when mine broke a few years ago, was the same as the Audi oe one, just in a different box.
For the passenger side you just need to reset the auto wind function to get that going up and down again, automatically. Hold the switch in the down position until the window goes to the bottom and keep the switch operated for about 5 seconds, or until you hear the antitrap relay click, then let go of the switch. Do the same with the up switch and all should be as normal.
I had looked on euro car parts and they also running a 25% off deal at the moment. Down to £55 roughly so not bad.
Looked on eBay and found the same one for £27.
Hopefully delivered Monday and if it's dry will fit it.

I would have agreed with soot until the other day after my battery had died, I put my window down and it knocked the first time it went down.... Like it didn't know where it was supposed to stop?

Just worried about putting the window down again, so that it doesn't break.
Maybe put it down a bit and then put it all the way up, before putting down slowly.

How weird is that? Doesn't make sense as the finger trap sensor would still be working, never happened to me on the 3 Audi's, 2 golfs and a fabia i have owned in the past.