Facelift Facelift A3 1.4 S-Tronic gearbox fault after 260 miles

Mr Mustard

Reaction score
My son in law picked up his F/L A3 1.4 tfsi on Saturday. After 6 days and 260 miles while stopped at lights, a 'do not drive car' or such like warning flashed up on the dash and the S-Tronic would not go into gear.

Removing the key a while then attempting to restart had no effect.

After inspection today the local dealership told him they thought it was probably caused by a low voltage (was told 12.1v) was causing a sensor in the gearbox to cause the shut down, and will just re-charge and give it back to him.

Doesn't add up to me. I can't see a low(ish) battery having this effect on the gearbox without showing any other warning lights or symptoms. Unless there's a faulty battery, charging system or electrical drain which they should be addressing then it sounds like a guess in lieu of the real answer.

My son in law picked up his F/L A3 1.4 tfsi on Saturday. After 6 days and 260 miles while stopped at lights, a 'do not drive car' or such like warning flashed up on the dash and the S-Tronic would not go into gear.

After inspection today the local dealership told him they thought it was probably caused by a low voltage (was told 12.1v) was causing a sensor in the gearbox to cause the shut down, and will just re-charge and give it back to him.

Doesn't add up to me. I can't see a low(ish) battery having this effect on the gearbox without showing any other warning lights or symptoms. Unless there's a faulty battery, charging system or electrical drain which they should be addressing then it sounds like a guess in lieu of the real answer.
That's not good... Did he get stuck at the lights and call Audi Assistance? :-(
Let us know how it goes.

Reactions: pburv

Sounds like a 'let it develop' stalling tactic by the dealer to me?

Best your son in law say to the dealer "no problem, with the new consumer protection act, if it happens again, I'll just reject it" - should focus their minds if they are stalling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pook and pburv
I have a DashCam that draws power from the battery. Its regulated by a device that shuts it off with the battery gets to 12.1v. Been running that for a good few months and never had S-Tronic issue. In fact, It's now set at 11.8v and still it starts fine and no problems with S-Tronic....

I smell BS....

Reactions: glospete, pburv and Ruhel
That's not good... Did he get stuck at the lights and call Audi Assistance? :-(
Let us know how it goes.
Yes he did get stuck. Some kind passers by helped him push it out of harms way. Was towed by Audi Assist to local dealership.

Best your son in law say to the dealer "no problem, with the new consumer protection act, if it happens again, I'll just reject it" - should focus their minds if they are stalling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Precisely what he has done.

Reactions: Falmouthboy, richinsoton and pburv
I'd go straight over the heads of the local dealership and log the incident with Audi UK. Any problems (hopefully non) in the future can then be pointed back to this one!

Reactions: pburv
Isn't the voltage more like 14v with the car running with alternator on etc?

Reactions: Ruhel