2 months in..... first major problem!

ahm

Reaction score
2 month old 1.4 Avant decided it didn't want to play this morning!

Accelerating (not hard!) after turning onto a dual carriageway, and as I hit about 40 it spluttered and went into what I guess was limp mode (wouldn't go above 2000 revs). "System Fault Contact Workshop" on dash, and then 10 seconds later revs dropped to about 1000, no real throttle response, and cruised to a stop half on the footpath, half on inside lane.

Wouldn't switch on again, was turning over constantly but not starting. Also then recalled that as I started it first thing in morning it turn over a couple of times before starting, which it had never done before.

Anyway, rang Audi Assist after a few minutes trying, and they were great to be fair. Sent AA immediately as a priority call due to dangerous place, though 5 mins later, before I'd finished on phone with them, I tried again, it started up as normal, and error msg disappeared! So moved it a few hundred yards down the road to get off the A road.

AA arrived after 10minutes, couldn't detect any faults, and couldn't see any faults logged. So he drove behind me as I drove it about 3 miles to nearest Audi dealer. By the time we got there, a hire car (sadly turned out to be an Insignia!) was booked to be dropped off at my work later in the morning, I left the car with Audi, and they gave me a lift to work.

No news yet, they're ringing me in the morning again!

Ouch, I am sorry to hear that ahm. Smacks of an electronic or software issue to me rather then an engine issue but what do I know!

Hope they get it sorted quickly for you

Yeah, feel a "we've done a software update so that should be fine now" coming up! Though hope they can explain it a bit better than that to boost my confidence that it's sorted. Don't fancy it potentially happening again to the other half with the kids in the car.

Terrible from such a new car .

Don't knock Insignia .

95f32427dd0b7ee056e2b667f749d670.jpg

Reactions: CHEZ and THQuattro
The 1.4 engine has been around for three years now and please be rest assured that there has been no issues with the power unit. Possibly you have experienced a 'one off' issue or there is a manufacturing issue with you car arisen...

The 1.4 engine has been around for three years now and please be rest assured that there has been no issues with the power unit. Possibly you have experienced a 'one off' issue or there is a manufacturing issue with you car arisen...

Good to hear. I know these things happen, and one of the joys of a new car is knowing there's not a bill coming my may! So not too annoyed, just hope they can properly diagnose it rather than a "it seems fine now"!

Sounds a bit like the problem a couple of people on the RS3 forum have had, which they think was likely due to a fuel pressure issue - have a browse of the threads on there and see what you think.

Diagnosis after 2 days in garage:

No faults found or logged in system! Suggestion of 'take it back and see if it happens again', though they're still looking at it. What can I do. I guess I'll just have to take it back.

They've decided to send fuel samples to some lab somewhere. They reckon it will be another week until they get the results back and then send them on to Audi (i assume they mean Germany) for them to decide what to do next! Looks like I'll have to get used to the Insignia!

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it had progressed. And at least they are looking at it for you rather than just fobbing you off but I guess that doesnt make it any easier ..

Reactions: frankc
So got the car back today..... no fault found!

Fuel was one of the cleanest samples they'd ever seen, they nearly fell off their chair when I told them it was sainsburys! So no problems found anywhere. They did a full software replacement and handed the car back, it didn't even get a free wash!

Here's hoping it was a strange one off!

That's good news in a way but then you must be concerned in case this bug happens again. Good to know that another myth about supermarkets fuels has been disproved though...

Reactions: maui